Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

It is really about stopping the team.  Discipline is required, a Bills asset.

Play a tight,press man pass coverage.  Do not force the run but keep a discipline rush lane to keep him in the middle.  Have Edmunds patrol the middle as a quasi spy so when he runs, there is someone to meet him.  Make them earn their points, no chunk plays.

The offense helps by scoring often and putting pressure on the Baltimore O.

This ^

I think will definitely be key... we might have to try & out score him

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Play a tight,press man pass coverage.  Do not force the run but keep a discipline rush lane to keep him in the middle.  Have Edmunds patrol the middle as a quasi spy so when he runs, there is someone to meet him.

I feel like both Milano and Edmunds should play a "quasi" spy on 1/2 of the field each.  Lamar is so fast that even a single dedicated spy can be caught out of position.  If both LBs can play that disciplined style and split the spy duty, that could be key.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I'm with you on this ... & that's my point. I just don't want anyone to think our season is doomed cause he went off on us. Like, LJ is touchable right now... hey, maybe Derm is the one to figure it out...like I said in my OP,  Derm is smart & I think he'll be locked in this whole week. 

We have a really good defensive coaching staff. There is reason to believe they could be the ones. But if they aren't, it really isn't the end of the world. 

None of this is going to change the fact that if we lose next week this board is going to explode with anger and chants of "same old bills" 

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe we can pull a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan on him on his way to the stadium. Either that or sweep the leg like in the Karate Kid. Lamar will get his and the Ravens will score. Bills will need at least 28 IMHO to win this game.

• Haha (+1) 1

Even with all of the running, Lamar has yet to take any really big hits this year. Let him take a couple of those in a game and it will slow him down. As good as he has been I still think if you force him into the throws outside of the numbers he doesn't have as much success. He loves to throw the ball over the middle of the field when in the pocket and a lot of his completions come from where he breaks contain to extend plays. Keep him in the pocket and close off the middle of the field as much as possible. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

DE's going against the Ravens I just do not understand how they attack the RB when the responsibility of the DE is the edge and the QB.  Countless times I saw Bosa and Armstead crash so hard on Ingram mind boggling when week after week he pulls the ball out and takes off on the edge.  Gap responsibility and as I tell my players I coach quit getting sucked inside.  Mind blowing in the NFL these fundamentals still are an issue.

I get they are all playmakers and playing on Sunday, but this is why I like Buffalos chances since they have a real good team concept and individuals understanding their  responsibilities, it really is 11 pieces working together and when one part suddenly tries to do another parts job too holes develop.  Just crazy to see sooo many DE's not understand there first priortiy

This ^ ,,,again!

Our DEs have to maintain the edge. On so many of LJ's runs against the 49ers he never had to beat the DE because he crashed on Ingram. I agree that this is mind-blowing, especially because the NFL has seen this exact thing before with Roman and a mobile QB (HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED).

I think the Bills should seriously consider moving Ed Oliver to DE for this game opposite Hughes. Trent Murphy and Shaq Lawson don't seem to me to have the speed or quickness to get lateral to cut off Jackson. Oliver does. If he and Hughes could remain disciplined, Jackson's running can be limited and they'll like get some hits on him at the "mesh point" during the option. On option plays, they DEs should be entirely targeting the QB and let the RB be handled by our MLB and DTs (maybe go 4-2-5 and keep a hard hitting safety in near the LOS too).

My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

We have a really good defensive coaching staff. There is reason to believe they could be the ones. But if they aren't, it really isn't the end of the world. 

None of this is going to change the fact that if we lose next week this board is going to explode with anger and chants of "same old bills" 

Man smh... that's what I want to try to prevent... our fanbase is great! We're having a good time right now... I just don't want to see it explode as you said....if we lose this Sunday. The guy is hard to stop & if he kills us...it doesn't mean our defense is horrible & we should fire Frazier ?

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

In their 8 game win streak Lamar has only thrown the ball more than 25 times twice.   They are 2-2 when Lamar throws more than 30 passes in a game.   The Bills need to come out not scared and get up on them early.  If you force the Ravens to throw it they can be beat.

This is a great point! I forgot about this

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

In their 8 game win streak Lamar has only thrown the ball more than 25 times twice.   They are 2-2 when Lamar throws more than 30 passes in a game.   The Bills need to come out not scared and get up on them early.  If you force the Ravens to throw it they can be beat.

Easier said then done.  Other teams have tried, including the 2 best defenses in the NFL and have failed. San Fran came closest but something tells me if the game wasn't played in a driving rain storm all game, the outcome might have been different and the Ravens would have piled up points.

Edited by matter2003

45 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

That was earlier in the year & I've mentioned this past Sunday... 100 yards passing, 100 yards rushing 2TD's on his bad day

If Josh had 100 passing regardless of how much he ran people here would rip their own skin off, tie it into knots and hang themselves from the ceiling fan, the reaction would be biblical...

even if the Bills won the statements would be: it's not sustainable, an injury waiting to happen, we need a legitimate passing QB!

so yes, i would say that's a bad day; are you suggesting it's unbelievable they are calling it a bad day?

look - they were playing a west coast team, in the afternoon, crappy, wet, cold weather with a starting RB injured and their starting TE just back and probably not 100%, won by 3 only putting up 20 total so if LJ has a hundy/hundy day i kinda like our chances @ home.

28 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Was thinking about this earlier. Conventional wisdom says the Bills should run a ball control offense and keep Jackson off the field. Then I thought if the Bills come out and score quick that might make the Ravens come out and Throw .

Unfortunately I Think Roman will try to run everything down our throats . Power run game with that nasty O line and maybe even designed runs to Lamar . We are going to have to have our corners play man and Hyde is going to have to live at the line of scrimmage to stop the run. Good news is our corners can handle man. It will be quite a chess match . MCClappy will have them ready.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

Of course he can be stopped. Anyone can be stopped in this game. The better question is: can he be beaten? Of course he can. It will not take long for NFL defenses to catch up with this. I doubt the ravens even make it to the Super Bowl.

Catch up with what? He's quick and fast and a good passer. Has anyone caught up to Russell Wilson...