Can Lamar Be Stopped???

Scorp83

I've watched LJ in college, his Heisman year 2016 I think... was one of the greatest collegiate performances I've ever seen!  I mean the guy was throwing 400+ yards & rushing for damn near 200 yards every other game! It wasn't a game where he didn't score 3+ TD's ... he was remarkable.  Fast forward today... I see the same kid.  ?

I think I'm more impressed with him now than his collegiate days. John Harbaugh & Greg Roman has built something special around his talents. We all know this... but some of the things Lamar is doing is not part of the design and I think that's why DC's are having a hard time trying to figure out how to stop him.

McDermott is really good at what he does...a real student of the game... I hate his clock management but that's a different thread. But he said something yesterday that stuck with me:

"He (Lamar) is just so fast"

& that's what you can't teach or defend. LJ never ran the 40 at his pro day or combine. But, there were rumors at Louisville around 2016 that he hit 4.1 just playing around.  I don't know how much of the Ravens many of you watched this year. 

But DO NOT overreact this Sunday that our D sucks or our team is about to crumble if LJ kills our D. I'm just saying he put up 100 yards passing & 16 carries for 100 rushing with 2 TD's & it was considered his BAD GAME. I pray we can jus hold him to that.

Just don't overreact people... we're still good. 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Can Josh be Start?

You mean stopped? If so, yes... I love Josh. But I've seen teams stop him already.

Edited by Scorp83
Phone typo

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Please .. he's not a GOD.  

2 teams did stop him and one almost did Sunday 

That was earlier in the year & I've mentioned this past Sunday... 100 yards passing, 100 yards rushing 2TD's on his bad day

Of course he can be stopped. Anyone can be stopped in this game. The better question is: can he be beaten? Of course he can. It will not take long for NFL defenses to catch up with this. I doubt the ravens even make it to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

When Lamar got loose on Sunday, it was usually a breakdown in discipline.  If your job is edge contain, then don't let him get outside.  Keep turning him to the inside where you've got help.  That's football 101.  If we play disciplined defense, we'll be fine.  

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 3

This is the sort of hyperbole that kills me.   Is Lamar an incredible athlete, yes.  I would even say generational as far as athletic traits, but he can be beat.   

The hyperbole part comes in because he didnt throw for 400 yards every other game, he threw for 400 yards twice in his entire college career, thats 38 games.   He also only ran for 200 yards once, and he never had a 400 passing and 200 rushing yard game.

The Lamar stuff is starting to be stuff of legend more than reality.   At some point someone is going to take away his tight ends and make him play QB.   He is the MVP this season, no question but he can be beat.   He was beat quite a lot in college. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Of course he can be stopped. Anyone can be stopped in this game. The better question is: can he be beaten? Of course he can. It will not take long for NFL defenses to catch up with this. I doubt the ravens even make it to the Super Bowl.

Hmmm... I can get behind this... but he's probably the fastest QB at the position. Chris Johnson was one of the fastest RB's in the league & it was hard for teams to stop him at times. Lamar is playing with probably that same kinda speed at QB... that's just a different beast to deal with.

It is really about stopping the team.  Discipline is required, a Bills asset.

Play a tight,press man pass coverage.  Do not force the run but keep a discipline rush lane to keep him in the middle.  Have Edmunds patrol the middle as a quasi spy so when he runs, there is someone to meet him.  Make them earn their points, no chunk plays.

The offense helps by scoring often and putting pressure on the Baltimore O.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The great offenses are always unstoppable. Until they aren't.  Its the NFL, someone will figure it out (hopefully it will be McDermott, but I'm not unrealistic either). 

I'm with you on this ... & that's my point. I just don't want anyone to think our season is doomed cause he went off on us. Like, LJ is touchable right now... hey, maybe Derm is the one to figure it out...like I said in my OP,  Derm is smart & I think he'll be locked in this whole week. 

DE's going against the Ravens I just do not understand how they attack the RB when the responsibility of the DE is the edge and the QB.  Countless times I saw Bosa and Armstead crash so hard on Ingram mind boggling when week after week he pulls the ball out and takes off on the edge.  Gap responsibility and as I tell my players I coach quit getting sucked inside.  Mind blowing in the NFL these fundamentals still are an issue.

I get they are all playmakers and playing on Sunday, but this is why I like Buffalos chances since they have a real good team concept and individuals understanding their  responsibilities, it really is 11 pieces working together and when one part suddenly tries to do another parts job too holes develop.  Just crazy to see sooo many DE's not understand there first priortiy

Edited by ILBillsfan