Hind sight being ridiculously 20/20: should the Bills have picked up the 5th year on Shaq?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

20/20 hindsight says "pick Will Fuller'..or "trade down".

That 1,2,3 draft of Lawson, Ragland (11 ahead of Deion Jones) and Washington was brutal..

Three starters “right off the bus“ according to Whales...

I will say though that Lawson was picked around where most of the “experts” had him before the draft that year... Didn’t seem a reach at the time..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'd say he is the beneficiary of the scheme where they have a lot of movement that create free lanes for him to slide through, especially as of late.  I don't see him being as effective in other schemes which routinely require him to beat his man one on one.

He's having a very good season, simple as that. Probably our best lineman so far this season. No need to try to discredit his performance.

• Like (+1) 1

They made the right call on the 5th year option. We all like how he's playing this season but obviously it makes people wonder where this kind of play has been in past seasons. I've also noticed most of his sacks are usually due to coverage. He's a decent player in their rotation and I'm sure they'll offer him a modest contract but being that he plays a high demand position there'll probably be a team out there that overpays for him and we know Beane doesn't do bidding wars.

To me, it is pretty obvious why they didn’t. The question now is, is his performance increase this season an actual buy in to the team concepts, or is it a motivation for money, it certainly can be both of these things at the same time. Imo the team will resign him if his ego doesn’t get in the way.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No.  Shaq showed nothing in his first 3 years here to justify the option.

Good decision at the time.  And, even if the Bills successfully resign Shaq, it won't be for the top money that the 5th year designation brings.   Shaq may well get paid,  but not at the top tier of edge guys. imho....he is a middle/bottom tier....legit NFL, but not elite.  But, we didn't see that even until year 4, so Shaq is peaking in his contract year.  I think, in the current administration, that attitude plays a roll in the Bills decisions as well.  And, with his on field antics, its hard to judge what McD thinks of him on the score.  (other than he puts him on the field)

Edited by bigK14094
Additional thought added

33 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Three starters “right off the bus“ according to Whales...

I will say though that Lawson was picked around where most of the “experts” had him before the draft that year... Didn’t seem a reach at the time..

For those shorting the XFL....they are in good hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No.  I think it was a good move to decline the option.  Some team is going to overpay him hopefully not the Bills.  I think drafting a DE in the 1st round is in play.  Signing a FA WR to pair up with Brown I hope is in the cards. 

Regarding Jordan Phillips, I'd let him walk too.  He's good and having a nice season but is going to command so much money.  I think prudent moves are to re-sign Liuget and Vincent Taylor and extend either Milano and/or Dawkins.  Tre White will be priority next year.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He's having a very good season, simple as that. Probably our best lineman so far this season. No need to try to discredit his performance.

I agree he is, but have you not been watching the last 2 or 3 games where half of the plays he is making is because the O-Line completely turns him loose without blocking him at all?

I mean, yes he still has been making plays in the normal fashion where he beats his guy, but it's a lot easier to make plays when you are being blocked by air.

The thing I worry about is that he is not going to make enough plays once O-Lines adjust and he has a blocker on him at all times again. At least enough plays to justify the contract he will be given.

12 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

No.  I think it was a good move to decline the option.  Some team is going to overpay him hopefully not the Bills.  I think drafting a DE in the 1st round is in play.  Signing a FA WR to pair up with Brown I hope is in the cards. 

Regarding Jordan Phillips, I'd let him walk too.  He's good and having a nice season but is going to command so much money.  I think prudent moves are to re-sign Liuget and Vincent Taylor and extend either Milano and/or Dawkins.  Tre White will be priority next year.

We have $91M in cap space going into the offseason. The 4th most in the entire league.

We can afford to throw $10M-12M/year at Phillips and not even sweat it. It's nice that we get Harry back, but I dont like what little I've seen from Liuget, and dont want to downgrade out Interior DL just to save Pegula money (that we have to spend anyways).

We can sign our DL guys, and a few FAs, AND still get extensions done with our own players.

In Beane I Trust.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Imo, fwiw, we should keep Phillips, and dump Murphy, and Kroft , we don’t want to break up the band so to speak, these guys are playing well together and we don’t want to have to wait for a revamped group to gel with each other, it ain’t that easy to “just Sign “ someone that is good, lots of competition for good players.

Go Bills!!!

No hindsight needed, he's not worth the $9.5 million 5th year option.   

I think his best comp would be someone like William Gholston who signed for about $5.5 million avg.  Maybe Shaq gets something in the $6 mil/yr range.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No he had shown no growth for 3 seasons.

I recently heard Chris Brown strongly implying that the organization was not impressed with his dedication to football after last season so bear that in mind.

The objective was to get the most out of him this year.   If he had the security of another year on his deal why would anyone expect anything different than he had shown in his first 3 seasons? 

Salary drives do that.   Mission accomplished.  

Great point. The staff and people inside the Bills buildings know the players way better than we do. Shaq doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who hides his emotions. 
Also, if you go back and watch his tape from Clemson, he was the slowest guy off the line a lot. Shaq made up for it with his strength and size, but Shaq was never going to be a pass rushing DE raking up double digit sacks for years. I love to draft one in the first to pair with Oliver for the next 4 years. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm OK with not extending him.  HE's had a pretty solid year this year, and I think they can use the$$ they would save from letting Murphy go, having Zo retire, plus the large amount of cap space they have anyway to resign him. 

Murphy isn't likely going.

He hasn't been special as a pass rusher but has done extremely in getting multiple TFL's and vs. the Run/setting the edge, and decently in the pass rush game.

He is in the fan's doghouse, but not the film watcher's dog house from everything I have seen. Much like Star L. (much better on film at doing his job than in the fan's perception)

With that said, to the original point, Shaq has had a very nice, consistent year. I hope they can convince him to stay for somewhat of a home town discount but it probably isn't too likely.

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

Murphy isn't likely going.

He hasn't been special as a pass rusher but has done extremely in getting multiple TFL's and vs. the Run/setting the edge, and decently in the pass rush game.

He is in the fan's doghouse, but not the film watcher's dog house from everything I have seen. Much like Star L. (much better on film at doing his job than in the fan's perception)

With that said, to the original point, Shaq has had a very nice, consistent year. I hope they can convince him to stay for somewhat of a home town discount but it probably isn't too likely.

I agree Murphy hasn't been as bad as some would suggest, but I think they will look to upgrade their pass rush this off-season.  So he may be a casualty.

No. 

Shaq said that the Bills not picking up his 5th year option was a big wake up call for him. I’m not sure if he’d be the s motivated if the Bills has rewarded his previous lackluster seasons with a huge raise (5th year option was $10M or so iirc).