Hind sight being ridiculously 20/20: should the Bills have picked up the 5th year on Shaq?

Throwing in a little butterfly effect, though, if he had the 5th year would he be the same Shaq we are getting now?

I actually think he showed us a little something last year.

Mods, I’m being honest here, I did not check if this was an already existing topic and it might be.  Please feel free to lock this puppy up if it is.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I don't think he is worth that much...he has been playing well, but is he really worth top 15 money at his position?? Someone is going to overpay for him...if we can get him back at a reasonable deal I would say go for it, he has earned that, but he has not earned what some team will pay for him to be full time and likely not produce like a full time player.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4

amazing how hard players will play when they don't know if they'll have a job next year or at least whether they will be anything more than a backup.  they pushed him and he has responded.  now they need to decide whether he was just playing for a contract or whether this is the real shaq.  McBeanes will make the right choice

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Like (+1) 1

Nope.  No way.  Shaq is a decent player, but he’s not worth close to what his option year would’ve paid him - $9.45M.  That also would’ve set the floor for a new contract.  That average salary per year would rank 21st among DEs.  No thanks.  He is not close to that kind of player.  However he is a player that I’d like to have in my 3 DE rotation, but I’m not happy if he’s one of my starting 2.  I’d be happy to pay him accordingly.  If not, there’s other guys out there to fill that role. 

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I think they did the right thing, although I think Shaq has been having a very nice year. I think he’s had “motivation” issues in past offseasons, strange how a big payday hanging over the head can light the fire...

That's one of my concerns honestly - if he needed a contract year to motivate him to play well, once he gets paid will he still be motivated.  Obviously the hope would be that he bought into The Process and his approach/mindset has been changed going forward.

I thought that they should have at the time. With the amount of space that they have I thought it raised the floor for the DL. I wasn’t irate when they didn’t but wanted them to. As I sit here today I feel the same way. I would have preferred it but I’m not going to lose a second of sleep that they didn’t. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

That's one of my concerns honestly - if he needed a contract year to motivate him to play well, once he gets paid will he still be motivated.  Obviously the hope would be that he bought into The Process and his approach/mindset has been changed going forward.

I think the motivation concern is fair.  How about try to re-sign on a 2-3 year incentive-laden deal, to keep motivation high?  If he gets a better offer elsewhere so be it, but the motivation is a risk some other team can take on then.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This is how the system works in the NFL. It’s a balancing act between players and management. The real question is whether we’ll start to see players who want to stay in Buffalo because the team finally appears to be winning! If not....I’m not really sure what The Process and The Culture are all about. 

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't think he is worth that much...he has been playing well, but is he really worth top 15 money at his position?? Someone is going to overpay for him...if we can get him back at a reasonable deal I would say go for it, he has earned that, but he has not earned what some team will pay for him to be full time and likely not produce like a full time player.

Who’s been playing better then him on our DL? 

He’s been awesome against the run and very effective / actually creating havoc in the backfield/ rushing the passer 

Shaq was brought in by Rex and crew as a bad fit for their scheme. He was a good prospect coming out of college as a 4-3 DE who was not a huge pass rusher. Good defender who holds his own in the run game setting the edge. Whaley had some here believing he was going to rack up sacks in Rex's defense. Not his game. Even a novice like me knew that and didn't understand the pic for the scheme we had at the time. Maybe Rex convinced Whaley too. That same year we drafted Ragland and Adolphus Washington. I hate you, Rex. Shaq has progressed with better coaching and a scheme he should have been drafted into from the beginning. I'm not buying the "he needed the motivation of a contract year" talk. He needed better coaching and to be played where he fits. Rex almost wrecked the career of a good young player. Having said this, it was smart not to give him the 5th year. We are working the cap well and I trust Beane. Hopefully Shaq appreciates what this staff has done to help his career along and gives us a serious shot at signing him. Not necessarily a hometown discount, just the opportunity to see if we want to match any offers.

• Like (+1) 2

I think likable players tend to skew our perception of who they are talent wise.    Shaq's 5th year option is akin to the opinion of people who want to pay Jordan Phillips 11 million dollars next year.  Shaq is a rotational defensive end who provides a lot of solid play, but he not picking up his 5th year option probably ends up saving the Bills 4 or so million next year if they choose to resign him.   Always thought Brandon Graham was Shaq's ceiling, but I dont think he is playing to that level yet.  If the Bills want to resign him for 7 or so million next year I'd be all for it, the 5th year option would have cost them more.