Any toy collectors on here?

RochesterRob

20 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Lionel really didn't make very much Erie.  You can look on EBAY, and specify Erie.  If you see something you like, record the number(s) and price, and do some comparison shopping.  There some Erie cars made by various O Gauge manufacturers such as MTH, Weaver, even some newer Lionel.  Lionel was based in N NJ, so they did much more Lackawanna RR than Erie.

What I have/operate is old.  Now they have more hi-tech stuff that can be controlled by a separate walk around controller and even a cell phone.  It can be expensive, and it's too late for me to consider changing over, but there are a lot of more detailed engines and cars now, compared to when I was buying.

A fair amount of Lionel Erie Lackawanna and Penn Central locomotives and cars showing up on eBay.  A guy could be running his own WNY themed train by Christmas.

23 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would say yes

I have collections of

- bobbleheads

- Funko Pop figures (mostly super hero and star wars)

- hockey and baseball figures (used to be the McFarlane ones, now some new company, mostly goalies)

- mini star wars and super hero Lego sets and figures, I also started collecting the small replica race cars too.

My wife hates it.......

I don't understand the appeal of Funko Pop figures. 

I do collect Legos. I had many sets as a kid. Then I picked it up again after having kids of my own. They're doing a great job of staying relevant. The Star Wars sets are awesome.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

In 2008, I bought a Lionel O-Gauge Union Pacific train set for my son.  We set it up around the Christmas tree most years.  I'd love to expand the track setup, but those FasTrack pieces are kind of pricey.  Someday.

My old man has a huge HO scale setup and is a part of a model railway group.

Pricey indeed

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I do collect Legos. I had many sets as a kid. Then I picked it up again after having kids of my own. They're doing a great job of staying relevant. The Star Wars sets are awesome.

The Funko Pops are similar to bobbleheads I guess.

Yeah the Lego sets are getting crazy today. I wanted to start getting into the technic and speed car models along with the Architecture ones too. As a kid I always loved Legos and any other building Toys. Trying to get my kids into them too now.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Funko Pops are similar to bobbleheads I guess.

Yeah the Lego sets are getting crazy today. I wanted to start getting into the technic and speed car models along with the Architecture ones too. As a kid I always loved Legos and any other building Toys. Trying to get my kids into them too now.

Yeah, neither Funko Pops or bobbleheads are particularly engaging. I guess there can be nostalgia associated with them, if you're collecting them at certain events. A guy I work with just buys Funko Pops online when new ones come out. There seems to be no nostalgia associated with that practice.

I recently built the 1960's Ford Mustang with my son. That was fun and it's a particularly good looking Lego model. I find the looks of the car models to be hit and miss. Sometimes it's just not possible to capture the looks of a car with Lego pieces.

Have a 1957Lionel HO gage  set up in the attic. My dad bought it when I was born. Never mounted on a board. Have all the boxes for the cars and track, but the cellophane in them is gone.  They all fit in a box that could be opened as a display box and also have the literature that came with it.  Made sure that my mom never threw it out or sold it at a garage sale.  I remember my dad said he paid about $35 for it then. I talked to someone on the internet about 10 years ago and he said it was worth about $500-750 then.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Lego has done an amazing job expanding its offerings. The Architectural Series are ridiculous. My son loves them. London Tower Bridge and Millennium Falcon were two of his favorites.

The movie was excellent, and now Will Arnett is apparently hosting a Lego Masterbuilders show. 

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Lego has done an amazing job expanding its offerings. The Architectural Series are ridiculous. My son loves them. London Tower Bridge and Millennium Falcon were two of his favorites.

The movie was excellent, and now Will Arnett is apparently hosting a Lego Masterbuilders show. 

I need to get the big Falcon.

I have the big Slave 1

15 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I was not around during the 1940's and 1950's but recall model train only hobby stores as a kid during the 1970's.  But your right in that a lot of what came after 1950 competed for a kid's interest.  Star Wars in the late 1970's provided the permanent push away from traditional toys.  It kind of gave an indirect push to the model rocket hobby as well.  I built a number of Estes rockets during the 1970's.  Anyways, as a middle age guy who does not give a darn as to trends if I have some money to play with once retired I would not mind setting up some track to run some trains on assuming I get the space issue resolved in the house.

Lionel taught me a lot about electricity.  If you run more than one old transformer, you have to be aware of phasing.  There were no polarized plugs then.  Use of a power strip can solve that.  Lionel's are all AC,  Most HO & G gauge are DC.   DC is better but you don't always have a choice when running old trains.   My wife has an LGB G scale train around the tree.  No sparks,  no warm track, no carpet burns.  Very hands off, safe, worry free operation. 

On 12/2/2019 at 6:38 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I would say yes

I have collections of

- bobbleheads

- Funko Pop figures (mostly super hero and star wars)

- hockey and baseball figures (used to be the McFarlane ones, now some new company, mostly goalies)

- mini star wars and super hero Lego sets and figures, I also started collecting the small replica race cars too.

My wife hates it.......

I'm a fellow Funko Pop collector, I got my wife into it and combined we have over 200.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, LeGOATski said:

The appeal is nostalgia/tribute to things you like. I mean I have Pops of Josh Allen/Jack Eichel/favorite wrestlers/tv-movie-comic characters etc.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

Stopped at an area hobby shop while in the city on business this morning.  Older type Lionel cars pricing out at nearly 100 dollars each.  Had Lehigh Valley. Penn Central, and Erie Lackawanna.  Looks like the smaller stuff is quit a bit more common no doubt due to cost and space requirements.  When I dust off my stuff at some point in time I guess that I will hunt E bay for additional pieces.

I still have many of my toys from the ‘60s::

-Marx train set

-Original size GI Joes and Rat Patrol jeep

-Captain Action with superhero costumes

-Major Matt Mason bendy astronauts

-Hot Wheels with Orange track

-Matchboxes (There was a hobby shop on Bailey near Kensington where I’d get them)

-A couple of table hockey sets

From the 80s/90s:

-Starting Lineup figures, mostly hockey and football. I have a box of MOMB, but I’d buy most of them loose for my son to play with.

-Star Wars figures and ships. Again bought them for my son to play with.

-A couple thousand comic books from the past 50 years.

All the toys have been sitting in the basement for decades. When I retire soon one of my tasks is to go through all of them and find a good home for them. I’d like to think whoever gets my childhood memories will appreciate them.

I collect Funkos. I'm not one of those collectors that has to have every color of Thanos for example, but I do enjoy having funkos of TV/Movie/Athletes that I like. I'm up to 40 now, ranging from The Matrix, Stranger Things, Westworld, superheroes, and some one-offs like Ferris Buehler, Pennywise the clown, etc.

My girlfriend hates having them in the house, so the only ones we have at home are a Harry Potter and Niffler (character from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them). The rest are at work as basically a pop culture decoration. I just think they're cool personally.

Edit: Should mention that by "house", I mean our one-bedroom apartment. If we end up getting a place with more space/a possible man-cave, then maybe I'll bring some of them home.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I collect Funkos. I'm not one of those collectors that has to have every color of Thanos for example, but I do enjoy having funkos of TV/Movie/Athletes that I like. I'm up to 40 now, ranging from The Matrix, Stranger Things, Westworld, superheroes, and some one-offs like Ferris Buehler, Pennywise the clown, etc.

My girlfriend hates having them in the house, so the only ones we have at home are a Harry Potter and Niffler (character from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them). The rest are at work as basically a pop culture decoration. I just think they're cool personally.

I'm the same where I don't have to get the special gold or colored versions of characters, mine are almost all Star wars and marvel. I have 2 I put in with our Christmas stuff (Christmas version of Deadpool and Grout). I also have Bob & Linda from Bob's Burgers on my desk at home. Most of my collections because of the sizes have been boxed up and in the basement until I can get the basement finished and build shelves to display them all on. I have mostly sports figures at work on my window sill. I have large figures of Eckblad from Team NA, 2 Hasek from the Wings, a Miller from the Canucks, Schneider from the Canucks and Holtby team Canada, and a Jose Bautista from the Jays. I have Mini figures from the recent Works Cup tournament of Holtby, Vanek and Parise, plus a mini JS Gigeure from the Ducks. I have a Miller Figure from the Sabres that was actually a Christmas Ornament and a Crosby Lego type figure. I then have a small helmet bowl of the Jays, Russel Martin Bobblehead and Marcus Stroman figure that moves with sunlight that were giveaways from their games. Aside from the Hasek and Schneider figures, these are all doubles of ones I have at home that I brought to work.

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

I still have many of my toys from the ‘60s::

-Marx train set

-Original size GI Joes and Rat Patrol jeep

-Captain Action with superhero costumes

-Major Matt Mason bendy astronauts

-Hot Wheels with Orange track

-Matchboxes (There was a hobby shop on Bailey near Kensington where I’d get them)

-A couple of table hockey sets

From the 80s/90s:

-Starting Lineup figures, mostly hockey and football. I have a box of MOMB, but I’d buy most of them loose for my son to play with.

-Star Wars figures and ships. Again bought them for my son to play with.

-A couple thousand comic books from the past 50 years.

All the toys have been sitting in the basement for decades. When I retire soon one of my tasks is to go through all of them and find a good home for them. I’d like to think whoever gets my childhood memories will appreciate them.

I have an old table hockey set of my dad's from the 60s I believe, Leafs vs Canadians, all it is missing are the rubber knob ends for the sticks to turn the players and the glass for the boards. I may still have the broken plastic glass, my dad made me new ones by bending and drilling some prices of clear plexiglass.

I don't have comics, but in my basement I have a large plastic box with almost every issue of Mad magazine from 1992 to about 2000. I have no idea if they are worth anything or why I haven't gotten rid of them.

I also forgot until recently I have a box of big and small metal OCC & WCC motorcycle models of the bikes they built.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I grew up in the golden age of toys, 1960s and 70s: GI Joe, Hot Wheels, Aurora slot cars, electric football, table hockey, Marx toys...I had it all.  And now I have none of it...:doh:

I still have my Lionel trains and Aurora slot cars. I haven’t used the trains in about ten years, and I haven’t used the slot cars in about 35 years.  I’m afraid to look in the box.  Probably a bunch of rusty metal and crumbling plastic at this point. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Edit: Should mention that by "house", I mean our one-bedroom apartment. If we end up getting a place with more space/a possible man-cave, then maybe I'll bring some of them home.

Yeah we have a rule of only one Pop per character yet we bended the rules when we got a 2nd Dwight Schrute and the upcoming baby Yoda. 

Edit: Our house is has collections in almost every room in either a baseball bat case or on a floating shelf. I'm actually shocked our collection is so high as it doesn't feel we have so many with it spread across six rooms and to think I haven't even started my man cave. 

Edited by The Jokeman