Josh Allen month - star potential

rayray808

I feel like the dude really thrives in high pressure situations and as we move into December and look ahead to January, the pressure is only gonna increase. I don't wanna crown him and say he's arrived as he still has things to improve, but the last three games definitely make it difficult NOT to believe he can be the guy. Just keep it rollin'. 

47 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I am excited and nervous. He's coming off a three game stretch that is by far his best ever, and is downright elite (and has happened against teams that are decent-great defensively): 

672 yards, 67%, 6:1 ratio, 155 rushing yards with 2 td's, no fumbles (unless you want to count the snap, which he recovered). 28 PPG, 3-0. 

Across 16 games that looks like this: 

3,584, 67%, 32:5, 827rush, 10td's. 

All that to say, I'm interested to see if this is his emergence as the Guy we've all dreamed he can be, if this is just a flash in the pan and he'll regress, or if he'll settle somewhere in the middle... I personally think we're going to see an above average QB the rest of the way. 

I’m with you there! I thought this was going to be about NOVEMBER, not December. Please just keep this up! 

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

2) Free agency commercial appeal. That 4th and 1 play when Josh did what he did vs Dallas it sent a message to the league that he has the grit to lead a team a win. If he can replicate moments like that over this final stretch, win or lose, there will be many around the league who will no longer SETTLE to come and play in Buffalo but rather REQUEST to come and play with this team.

SIGN BIG STUFF JORDAN PHILLIPS TO A MULTI YEAR DEAL. He's a frickin monster and he's the funniest damn player!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

12/8 - vs Ravens and Lamar Jackson the front runner for MVP

12/15 - vs Steelers on NBC Sunday Night Football

12/21 - vs Patriots moved to Saturday game and possibly for the division, #1 seed, and home field through the playoffs

12/29 - vs Jets in the season finale vs Darnold and crew - this game will have either 0 meaning or could decide our playoff fate should we drop 3 in a row

Lots of eyes in meaningful games = the potential for a star to be born.

What I am most excited about is that Josh Allen doesnʻt have to throw for 300+ yards and 3+ TDʻs but rather keep his completion % high, and minimize the INTʻs and fumbles. With our defense playing the way they are, the Wʻs will be the result.

2 reasons why this is HUGE for us:

1) Locking in a playoff spot, and gaining momentum as the post season begins. This was supposed to be the developmental year, however we now have the chance to actually make a nice run. For a sophomore QB to be in this position it definitely helps him progress along to be a potential franchise QB. 

2) Free agency commercial appeal. That 4th and 1 play when Josh did what he did vs Dallas it sent a message to the league that he has the grit to lead a team a win. If he can replicate moments like that over this final stretch, win or lose, there will be many around the league who will no longer SETTLE to come and play in Buffalo but rather REQUEST to come and play with this team.

Don't rush it man!

You know I'm the biggest JA fan on the board.  Too much too soon can kill it too.  I'm gong to manage my expectations so as not to create disappointment for me.  Cautious optimism...

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I think the Bills and Josh are going to have crack 30 points to beat the Ravens...

Six long and sustained drives.  Three TDs, three FGs, no punts, winning the TOS.  I like it.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Six long and sustained drives.  Three TDs, three FGs, no punts, winning the TOS.  I like it.

Yeah, I was thinking about this, the Belichick method for stopping the Bills in the first Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

12/8 - vs Ravens and Lamar Jackson the front runner for MVP

12/15 - vs Steelers on NBC Sunday Night Football

12/21 - vs Patriots moved to Saturday game and possibly for the division, #1 seed, and home field through the playoffs

12/29 - vs Jets in the season finale vs Darnold and crew - this game will have either 0 meaning or could decide our playoff fate should we drop 3 in a row

Lots of eyes in meaningful games = the potential for a star to be born.

What I am most excited about is that Josh Allen doesnʻt have to throw for 300+ yards and 3+ TDʻs but rather keep his completion % high, and minimize the INTʻs and fumbles. With our defense playing the way they are, the Wʻs will be the result.

2 reasons why this is HUGE for us:

1) Locking in a playoff spot, and gaining momentum as the post season begins. This was supposed to be the developmental year, however we now have the chance to actually make a nice run. For a sophomore QB to be in this position it definitely helps him progress along to be a potential franchise QB. 

Great Points OP:

Toss in the fact that not only do we have a talented QB, but our injury report is typically one of the shortest in the league week in and week out. That current FA signees like Brown and Beasley, have raved about the training/medical facilities at OBD, being the best in the league. Not only keeping them on the field but also extending their careers.

all arrows pointing up for JA and the organization. If it's a year early so be it. Everything that transpires the rest of this season will carry over to other seasons in the future.

5 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I feel like the dude really thrives in high pressure situations and as we move into December and look ahead to January, the pressure is only gonna increase. I don't wanna crown him and say he's arrived as he still has things to improve, but the last three games definitely make it difficult NOT to believe he can be the guy. Just keep it rollin'. 

Not picking on you but remember a few short years ago when there were multiple 30 page long threads about how TT was/wasn’t a potential long term starter? The fights on those threads as posters vehemently defended him?

JA is clearly a starting level QB if TT was?

Crown him! 
    He absolutely lost his mind and crapped the bed in the first NE game. The coaches reeled him in and made him go back to square one. He made a few “ Hero ball” throws in those next few games and then those disappeared.

He, the Offense itself, Daboll up in the booth, it’s all finally coming together at just the right time in the season. And, nobody nationally is buying it which I love. 
    This whole league is schizophrenic in terms of multiple teams up and down play and our steady growth is able to hide within it.

I said in another thread, his growth won’t be linear and he could have another bad game but he’s got the “ Want to”, the tools and the “ It” factor which he demonstrated Thursday.

I’m not expecting a win next week but neither am I sure of a loss against one of the two or three best teams in this league. It’s been DECADES since I felt this way.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

Some ups and downs are still to be expected.  He's been playing great the last three games.  I hope it continues, of course.

Either way, this stretch has (I hope) convinced Beane he does actually have the QB he needs.  No need to spend a high pick on another QB in case Allen doesn't work out, which at the beginning of the season was a possibility.  Allen could just as easily have gone south as north -- we've seen that happen a lot.  Not this time.

So, getting FAs to Buffalo will get easier, WRs will be fighting each other to come catch his passes, and the draft can be used to continue the building process.  Happy days.

Every four games have star potential, really. Or maybe more like "the very first little fragment of a star being born" potential, anyway.

Allen has to play well. Same as always. Maybe more people will become aware of it if more are watching.

Bottom line, though, is that it takes consistency over a long period of time to become a star. Remember how Derek Carr was a star and then wasn't. Remember how Matt Schaub was a star and then wasn't. Neither did it for long enough or consistently enough. Four games is an eyeblink in a football career. It might be when people notice progress but that's only a big deal to people desperate to be noticed.

Oh, and free agents will come here for the same reason 95% of those decisions are made ... money.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1