Josh Allen month - star potential

rayray808

12/8 - vs Ravens and Lamar Jackson the front runner for MVP

12/15 - vs Steelers on NBC Sunday Night Football

12/21 - vs Patriots moved to Saturday game and possibly for the division, #1 seed, and home field through the playoffs

12/29 - vs Jets in the season finale vs Darnold and crew - this game will have either 0 meaning or could decide our playoff fate should we drop 3 in a row

Lots of eyes in meaningful games = the potential for a star to be born.

What I am most excited about is that Josh Allen doesnʻt have to throw for 300+ yards and 3+ TDʻs but rather keep his completion % high, and minimize the INTʻs and fumbles. With our defense playing the way they are, the Wʻs will be the result.

2 reasons why this is HUGE for us:

1) Locking in a playoff spot, and gaining momentum as the post season begins. This was supposed to be the developmental year, however we now have the chance to actually make a nice run. For a sophomore QB to be in this position it definitely helps him progress along to be a potential franchise QB. 

2) Free agency commercial appeal. That 4th and 1 play when Josh did what he did vs Dallas it sent a message to the league that he has the grit to lead a team a win. If he can replicate moments like that over this final stretch, win or lose, there will be many around the league who will no longer SETTLE to come and play in Buffalo but rather REQUEST to come and play with this team.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I am excited and nervous. He's coming off a three game stretch that is by far his best ever, and is downright elite (and has happened against teams that are decent-great defensively): 

672 yards, 67%, 6:1 ratio, 155 rushing yards with 2 td's, no fumbles (unless you want to count the snap, which he recovered). 28 PPG, 3-0. 

Across 16 games that looks like this: 

3,584, 67%, 32:5, 827rush, 10td's. 

All that to say, I'm interested to see if this is his emergence as the Guy we've all dreamed he can be, if this is just a flash in the pan and he'll regress, or if he'll settle somewhere in the middle... I personally think we're going to see an above average QB the rest of the way. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I am excited and nervous. He's coming off a three game stretch that is by far his best ever, and is downright elite (and has happened against teams that are decent-great defensively): 

672 yards, 67%, 6:1 ratio, 155 rushing yards with 2 td's, no fumbles (unless you want to count the snap, which he recovered). 28 PPG, 3-0. 

All that to say, I'm interested to see if this is his emergence as the Guy we've all dreamed he can be, if this is just a flash in the pan and he'll regress, or if he'll settle somewhere in the middle... I personally think we're going to see an above average QB the rest of the way. 

Stats are one thing, but he looks comfortable and in control. There was only one time I felt he missed a pressure the Cowboys threw at him. How refreshing was it to hear Romo say if this guy comes on the blitz the ball should be out quick. Allen did it exactly as Romo said he threw it to Singletary instead of Beasley, but ball came out hot and on time. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

All this and the deep ball hasn't still been there much except 1 or 2 times. Once he learns to get some air under those balls, look out.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Stats are one thing, but he looks comfortable and in control. There was only one time I felt he missed a pressure the Cowboys threw at him. How refreshing was it to hear Romo say if this guy comes on the blitz the ball should be out quick. Allen did it exactly as Romo said he threw it to Singletary instead of Beasley, but ball came out hot and on time. 

So true. He looks as elite as his stats show. We're winning these games because Josh is carrying our team, not the other way around. 

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

All this and the deep ball hasn't still been there much except 1 or 2 times. Once he learns to get some air under those balls, look out.

It more less has been... The shot to Brown vs. Miami was sorta a deep ball, but was a lazer, and the shot to Brown against Denver was textbook. That being said, I think he's only missed one deep shot these three weeks? I think that's something that will start cooking as the season goes on. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

No pressure Josh.  He's still a 2nd year starter and he's going to go through ups and downs as these next three defenses will be the best he faces all year.  Especially at Pittsburgh and New England.  Any possible free agent that has their doubts about his ability though watched the Cowboys game and those doubts should've been removed.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So true. He looks as elite as his stats show. We're winning these games because Josh is carrying our team, not the other way around. 

It more less has been... The shot to Brown vs. Miami was sorta a deep ball, but was a lazer, and the shot to Brown against Denver was textbook. That being said, I think he's only missed one deep shot these three weeks? I think that's something that will start cooking as the season goes on. 

Yeah, but watch Watson some time. I know that guy has better suited receivers for the deep ball, but man he puts them in there nicely. That's what I'm talking about. Josh is not there yet.

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Yeah, but watch Watson some time. I know that guy has better suited receivers for the deep ball, but man he puts them in there nicely. That's what I'm talking about. Josh is not there yet.

No, he isn't. Watson is one of maybe 3 QB's who hit deep balls that consistently well (Mahomes, Wilson) as the other two. Josh can do it, as he's shown, and I think he'll continue to improve. It's pretty low on the list of "necessary skills" for a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

No, he isn't. Watson is one of maybe 3 QB's who hit deep balls that consistently well (Mahomes, Wilson) as the other two. Josh can do it, as he's shown, and I think he'll continue to improve. It's pretty low on the list of "necessary skills" for a QB. 

Agreed, I honestly think it's more of a trajectory thing and pretty easily fixable.put a little more touch on em. Itll come. That's how those guys pad their stats.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Agreed, I honestly think it's more of a trajectory thing and pretty easily fixable.put a little more touch on em. Itll come. That's how those guys pad their stats.

Yep. It'll also help to have someone who can go down field and compete for the football- not just run by guys. Josh might not be as good at putting it in a 1 yard window, over the shoulder, leading the WR perfectly. But he can put it in the range of a big receiver with a wide catch radius,  which we don't have now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen's stats look even better when you look at the entire month of november:

62% completion | 259 total yards a game | 2.4 TD's a game | .2 Turnovers a game | 24.6 PPG | 4-1 record

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

A couple weeks ago looked at him compared with the rest of the quarterbacks in the league and thought he was playing top 15.   After the last two games he is creeping into the top ten.   That said, the focus is winning one game and getting into the playoffs.  Just win one game.

After that, win one game.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Allen's stats look even better when you look at the entire month of november:

62% completion | 259 total yards a game | 2.4 TD's a game | .2 Turnovers a game | 24.6 PPG | 4-1 record

Wow... I went to look at Lamar's stats for the past five games as well, just for fun- not to take anything away from Josh, but damn:

75% completion | 257 total yards a game | 3.6 TD's a game | .2 Turnovers a game | 38.4 PPG | 5-0 record

It's worth noting that I know the Defense has scored some of those points, whereas the Bills offense has scored all of ours. 

Interesting that the Turnovers are the same, and that the yards per game are actually lower.... That TD number is insane though.