Worried about Oliver? Read and watch this !

DJB

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Through 10 played games the stats appear to be 

Player                    Tackles          Sacks

Donald                     28                  4

Cox                          32                  1

Atkins                      16                  3

McCoy                     27                  3

Oliver                       28                  5

Oliver is no doubt justifying his lofty pick status

In view of the Jets Nation labeling Quinnen Williams a bust, here are his stats through 8 played games

23 Tackles and 1.5 sacks

Supposedly they are using him at the nose and cut eating blocks.  If that’s true, what a terrible use of a top 5 pick.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Supposedly they are using him at the nose and cut eating blocks.  If that’s true, what a terrible use of a top 5 pick.

Which is why we should get in early and offer a late pick. they'll cut their losses quickly.

18 hours ago, DJB said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/buffalo-bills-rookie-dt-ed-oliver-is-heating-up

Production is a poor way to measure the play of DTs, but the anticipation for Oliver to become an immediate star left room for disappointment. Truth is, rookies at this position do not typically light up the box score in their first eight professional games. Here are some notable NFL star defensive tackles and their production across their first eight games in the league: 

• Aaron Donald: 20 tackles, one sack
  • Fletcher Cox: 16 tackles, one sack
  • Geno Atkins: Five tackles, 1/2 sack
  • Gerald McCoy 14 tackles, zero sacks

Ed Oliver 28 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 PDef ,  1 FF (12 game totals)

I didn't read the article, but the figures at the end there are way out of whack.

After his first eight games in the league, Aaron Donald had three sacks and Oliver had one. Donald had 22 tackles and Oliver 20. Oliver had one pass defended. Donald had an absurd 11 tackles for loss, and Oliver only one.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlivEd00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DonaAa00/gamelog/2014/

EDIT: I see, you compared Oliver's 12 game figures to Donald's (and Cox's and Atkins' and McCoy's) eight game figures. You know that's not exactly fair to Donald or the others, right?  FURTHER EDIT: I see others have already picked up on this.

Not that I'm not loving Oliver. He's been effective all year even though not putting up the big numbers early.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I didn't read the article, but the figures at the end there are way out of whack.

After his first eight games in the league, Aaron Donald had three sacks and Oliver had one. Donald had 22 tackles and Oliver 20. Oliver had one pass defended. Donald had an absurd 11 tackles for loss, and Oliver only one.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlivEd00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DonaAa00/gamelog/2014/

EDIT: I see, you compared Oliver's 12 game figures to Donald's (and Cox's and Atkins' and McCoy's) eight game figures. You know that's not exactly fair to Donald or the others, right?  FURTHER EDIT: I see others have already picked up on this.

Not that I'm not loving Oliver. He's been effective all year even though not putting up the big numbers early.

This has been pointed out multiple times in this thread.  

the OP said that it’s not to directly compare who’s been better, rather to show that those great players didn’t do very much to start their career (as there were some fans stating oliver hasn’t done anything)

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Funny how stats are so easy to cherry pick to prove a point...

Funny how some people don’t actually read the threads that they troll

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Wasn’t he viewed as a top 3 guy early in the season? Not sure what happened, if it was disappointing play on the field, or the silly coat stuff, or something else but I never expected him to fall to us. I thought that was a huge break (with a special thank you to Giants and Lions), then people here started questioning if he was a bust a few games into his rookie season. Geez, it can take a little time for the young guys! 

He was viewed as a top 1-2 guy.  Oliver and Bosa. 

still can’t believe he fell to us......and that Detroit took a tight end.

edit: and that the giants took Danny “Dimes” LMAO!!  Fitz 2.0 imo

Edited by NewEra

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Funny how some people don’t actually read the threads that they troll

Funny that I read the thread and actually am not trolling. I actually agree with using the 12-game stat versus the 8-game stat. 12 games is a larger sample size and eliminates some outliers, or at least reduces their impact on the overall statistic. All I'm saying is that in general, people pick the stat that proves their point while conveniently ignoring the stat that doesn't. The OP started the thread on the "first eight games" premise, but never mentioned Oliver's first eight in comparison. He used Oliver's first TWELVE compared to their eight. When you pull the other players' first twelve and compare to Oliver, they are right in line. But the OP was trying to show how Oliver had actually performed better than those players, which isn't the case.

Imagine thinking everybody that didn't agree with you 100% is a troll.

Edited by CLTbills

27 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Funny that I read the thread and actually am not trolling. I actually agree with using the 12-game stat versus the 8-game stat. 12 games is a larger sample size and eliminates some outliers, or at least reduces their impact on the overall statistic. All I'm saying is that in general, people pick the stat that proves their point while conveniently ignoring the stat that doesn't. The OP started the thread on the "first eight games" premise, but never mentioned Oliver's first eight in comparison. He used Oliver's first TWELVE compared to their eight. When you pull the other players' first twelve and compare to Oliver, they are right in line. But the OP was trying to show how Oliver had actually performed better than those players, which isn't the case.

Imagine thinking everybody that didn't agree with you 100% is a troll.

Obviously.....

he was trying to say that just because Oliver doesn’t have great stats through his first half season doesn’t mean he won’t be great.  All of the most recent greats started similarly. 

Imagine trying to call out every person that makes a point and uses stats to back up their point while ignoring the stats that don’t?  It’s a daunting task.  

Yes, we all realize that people pick the stats that prove their point and conveniently ignore the stats that doesn’t.  If that’s your contribution to the thread.

the purpose of the thread wasn’t to show that Oliver was better.  He was too lazy to compile the stats of his first 8 games.  It’s a message board thread, it’s ok to be lazy.  

I had high hopes for Ed and still do. It may have taken a while for him to get used to a new position in the NFL. He played NT in a 3-4 in college and excelled. He was taking on 2 blockers on most every snap. As he gains experience in his new position, I think he'll develop into a stud. Even so, he has done pretty good for a rookie.