Worried about Oliver? Read and watch this !

DJB

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/buffalo-bills-rookie-dt-ed-oliver-is-heating-up

Production is a poor way to measure the play of DTs, but the anticipation for Oliver to become an immediate star left room for disappointment. Truth is, rookies at this position do not typically light up the box score in their first eight professional games. Here are some notable NFL star defensive tackles and their production across their first eight games in the league: 

• Aaron Donald: 20 tackles, one sack
  • Fletcher Cox: 16 tackles, one sack
  • Geno Atkins: Five tackles, 1/2 sack
  • Gerald McCoy 14 tackles, zero sacks

Ed Oliver 28 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 PDef ,  1 FF (12 game totals)

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 10

The sacks are what gets the attention and players paid, but man, those run stops were gorgeous. Avoiding a reach block and stringing out Collins and then taking on a double team, holding his ground against an elite G, and making the tackle, just GD fun to watch. 

These happen so fast in the game, there's too much going on, so I really appreciate these breakdowns. I've watched the run stops about 15 times each. 

His strength for his size is something else. Let's not forget he played a ton of 1 tech in college and not as much 3t like he is now. The future is bright for this kid. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

8 vs 12 is quite a statistic difference.

OK, let's look at 12

Aaron Donald: 30 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 ff

Fletcher Cox: 25 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 ff

Geno Atkins: 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Gerald McCoy: 21 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 ff

Ed Oliver: 28 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 ff

So, yep, pretty much on schedule. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Why are we taking 12 games for Oliver? Just to make his stats look better?

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

OK, let's look at 12

How about just the first 8 games? 20 tackles, 1 Sack.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why are we taking 12 games for Oliver? Just to make his stats look better?

How about just the first 8 games? 20 tackles, 1 Sack.

Are... you... serious?!?! You can't be serious. 

On the off chance you are, the point of this whole article is that DTs tend to start slow and that he is on pace with many great DTs at this point in this career. What would be the point of going back in time and pretending he has NOT been a beast the last four games. We now have the 12 games to compare. Not to mention, his stats are similar to the others after 8 games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thurst44 said:

Are... you... serious?!?! You can't be serious. 

On the off chance you are, the point of this whole article is that DTs tend to start slow and that he is on pace with many great DTs at this point in this career. What would be the point of going back in time and pretending he has NOT been a beast the last four games. We now have the 12 games to compare. Not to mention, his stats are similar to the others after 8 games.

I'm serious about representing data correctly. I have no problems with Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I'm serious about representing data correctly. I have no problems with Oliver.

So, what is wrong with comparing 12 games to 12 games, which is what I did. Those are the stats, per Pro-Football Reference, for each player's first 12 games. It makes a bit more sense after he plays 12 games to update the others and compare it to 12 games than to revert Oliver's stats to 8 games. I just was trying to be helpful and do a little legwork on a quiet snowy campus day.

I'm not the OP, btw, but I'm guessing what happened there was that the article he/she referenced was a month old. My point is that if you do the math, and extend all of these players to 12 games, the point still holds. I'm pretty sure that's seriously properly represented data.

• Like (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

OK, let's look at 12

On schedule to be a Hall of Famer, based on that list. 

15 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

A shot on Jets today in MMQB that they should have taken Oliver, not Williams.

Love it: (peter king on things he thinks he thinks)

6. I think the Jets will regret passing on Ed Oliver for Quinnen Williams in the top 10 of the 2019 NFL Draft. If they’re being honest, they already do.

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

But can he catch the ball over the middle like DK ??

Image result for laurel and hardy gif

This is you and @Joe in Winslow, I know that... I’m just trying to figure out which one is the fat one....

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

So, what is wrong with comparing 12 games to 12 games, which is what I did. Those are the stats, per Pro-Football Reference, for each player's first 12 games. It makes a bit more sense after he plays 12 games to update the others and compare it to 12 games than to revert Oliver's stats to 8 games. I just was trying to be helpful and do a little legwork on a quiet snowy campus day.

I'm not the OP, btw, but I'm guessing what happened there was that the article he/she referenced was a month old. My point is that if you do the math, and extend all of these players to 12 games, the point still holds. I'm pretty sure that's seriously properly represented data.

Exactly, its a misrepresentation of the article where Joe Marino compares Oliver's first 8 starts to those all-pro DT's. Comparing 8 to 12 isn't what Joe was doing in the article.