Week 14 - Ravens (-6.5) at Bills Over/Under 44

6 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

I would have thought the most impressive road win was 285 yards rushing and 5 TD passes in the dissection of the Rams, who were #5 against the run at the time.

i think they are referring to quality of opponent.

Rams?

OrangeTalkativeGilamonster-size_restrict

4 minutes ago, Say When... said:

i think they are referring to quality of opponent.

Rams?

OrangeTalkativeGilamonster-size_restrict

Since they emphasized Seattle's poor rating against the pass, I didn't think it was based on quality of opponent. And the Rams are still #12 in overall defense even after that beating, while Seattle is #24. Regardless, going 6 TDs in 6 drives against a team with a winning record would still be more impressive.

Edited by RavensFan

Just now, RavensFan said:

Since they emphasized Seattle's poor rating against the pass, I didn't think it was based on quality of opponent. And the Rams are still #12 in overall defense even after that beating, while Seattle is #24. 

yea, that, that's just reporter fluff, i look at it as who is the better team.

Didn't the Peters trade occur just before that game?  literally had fresh deets on the Rams D scheme, you should have curb stomped them.

and again, Rams?

wt9tk4.gif

4 minutes ago, Say When... said:

yea, that, that's just reporter fluff, i look at it as who is the better team.

Didn't the Peters trade occur just before that game?  literally had fresh deets on the Rams D scheme, you should have curb stomped them.

and again, Rams?

wt9tk4.gif

Don't excuse it away- they kicked their asses... that being said, the Rams are a bit of a joke these days. No less than the Boys, and we're counting that as our big win so far.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

What will happen if the Bills run the table and win the division?

Someone will get a hold of a key to the city, craft it into a guillotine with which to execute Tom Brady on the steps of city hall?... just spitballin here... 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Yes, that must be why it happened. ;)

OK - that was a bit of an unnecessary jab but i'm sure it contributed to it.  once you guys got ahead you beat them into absolute submission, they literally gave up before the 4th Q.

Regardless, 2 very good road wins and cross country, when i consider impressive it's beating the tops (in this case NFC) and handily rather than donkey punching a poser.

Just now, whatdrought said:

We have a few of those over here as well. :P

What's your take on the game, @RavensFan?

My take is that this is the best dream I've ever had, and I hope I don't wake up until late February. Seriously, if you've seen the Ravens over the past five years, they've been painful to watch on offense: win the field position battle, and bring in the ultimate weapon (Tucker) for 3 points. Now, it's Christmas every Sunday. We honestly don't know if there's a particular scheme that will slow down this offense, or if it has to be done with superior talent and disciplined play, or by hoping for turnovers. I had expected Belichick to expose it, but even he had no answers. On defense, they've gone from being hot garbage through Week 4 to what may be a top 5 unit.

We're impressed by how the Bills seem to be improving every week, especially at QB. The experts seemed to get almost everything wrong about that QB class. The only doubts are: 1) their ability to handle the large bodies the Ravens' offense will throw at them from all angles, and 2) Bills' strength of schedule. But, as they say, you can only play who you're schedule to play, and it counts the same in the win column.

I still have flashbacks to when Flacco threw 5 picks in a game at Buffalo. But Lamar reads defenses better than Joe ever did, so I'm optimistic. It should be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

The more I think about this game the more excited I get. Two of the top teams in the AFC who have been playing their best football over the past 3 weeks. Two young QBs proving their doubters wrong. What happens when an unstoppable force (Baltimore) meets an immovable object (Buffalo)?

Just bought my tickets. Can't wait.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Don't excuse it away- they kicked their asses... that being said, the Rams are a bit of a joke these days. No less than the Boys, and we're counting that as our big win so far.

I responded it was a low blow and took it back but give it some cred, you don't think that played a role at all on the gameplan?

BTW - totally agree on 'Boys and Rams as a folly but i will say the Ravens were favored, we weren't.  all we heard about was the #1 total O and #6 total D they had.

i consider it a signature win, not quite up to my impressive scale.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

My take is that this is the best dream I've ever had, and I hope I don't wake up until late February. Seriously, if you've seen the Ravens over the past five years, they've been painful to watch on offense: win the field position battle, and bring in the ultimate weapon (Tucker) for 3 points. Now, it's Christmas every Sunday. We honestly don't know if there's a particular scheme that will slow down this offense, or if it has to be done with superior talent and disciplined play, or by hoping for turnovers. I had expected Belichick to expose it, but even he had no answers. On defense, they've gone from being hot garbage through Week 4 to what may be a top 5 unit.

We're impressed by how the Bills seem to be improving every week, especially at QB. The experts seemed to get almost everything wrong about that QB class. The only doubts are: 1) their ability to handle the large bodies the Ravens' offense will throw at them from all angles, and 2) Bills' strength of schedule. But, as they say, you can only play who you're schedule to play, and it counts the same in the win column.

I still have flashbacks to when Flacco threw 5 picks in a game at Buffalo. But Lamar reads defenses better than Joe ever did, so I'm optimistic. It should be fun to watch.

Good takes, all. I appreciate your sincerity. I have no idea how we'll figure you guys out on offense. I have this feeling (and I'm not predicting here cause I am way too much of a homer to trust myself- lol) that McDermott will figure this out and will establish himself as one of the top defensive minds in the game (he doesn't get enough credit, IMO) - but that may be wishful thinking on my part. One reason I think we have a chance is that our defense never makes wholesale schematic shifts and changes. We're very consistent with what we do. We line up, 11 guys do their job, and we make minutia changes as needed to fit the game. We're not heavy schemers like Rex Ryan *shudders at memory* or guys like that. That I think gives us a chance in that I think the key to stopping you is fundamentally smart football with minor changes here and there.

I'm honestly more worried about our Offense vs. your defense. Not because I'm overly scared of your defense (though it's been much improved and playing very well) - But because this is the week that Allen can either confirm that he's the guy and is taking all the right steps, or it'll be a bit of a let down for us. I think it'll be good, but I also have Bills PTSD that has me worried. 

The experts definitely screwed the pooch on that draft class, but they usually do. Our teams are benefitting from it for sure.  I don't remember that game- what year was that? 

I'm excited and nervous for Sunday. If we win, it'll be great, and if we lose, it'll help you keep the road to the SB out of NE. That's a silver lining for me. 

I hope you're back after the game to discuss stuff- I will warn you, this place is a bit of a ***** hole during games, (think Mos Eisley cantina) and people can be real ***** on game day- win or lose. Don't take it personal. :P

5 minutes ago, Say When... said:

I responded it was a low blow and took it back but give it some cred, you don't think that played a role at all on the gameplan?

BTW - totally agree on 'Boys and Rams as a folly but i will say the Ravens were favored, we weren't.  all we heard about was the #1 total O and #6 total D they had.

i consider it a signature win, not quite up to my impressive scale.

I think it probably did, but to travel accross the country and whup a team like that is always impressive, even if the Rams are overrated garbage. 

I think it was for a lot of reasons, but we've got 3 more on our schedule that may become bigger signatures if we get the W. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:14 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Gosh I forgot all about that angle to the game. So much has changed for both teams offenses. Was Roman the OC for that game? I know Flacco was the QB. The offensive philosophy was more traditional. 
how much carryover is there really?

Not so much I think, we have 2 or so guys returning on offense that were around for that game.

I think that the plan for that game a year ago was that the Bills could lean on their defense while their offense found its legs, but that score was a beat down of our defense plain and simple. And the offense did not help, but OBD should not have been expecting much help from them. So definitely something to prove on that side of the house.

We have some new components and young guys on D who have improved, but I still worry about our ability to stop the run.

We will see what McD and Frazier are able to cook up...

Edited by WideNine

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Good takes, all. I appreciate your sincerity. I have no idea how we'll figure you guys out on offense. I have this feeling (and I'm not predicting here cause I am way too much of a homer to trust myself- lol) that McDermott will figure this out and will establish himself as one of the top defensive minds in the game (he doesn't get enough credit, IMO) - but that may be wishful thinking on my part. One reason I think we have a chance is that our defense never makes wholesale schematic shifts and changes. We're very consistent with what we do. We line up, 11 guys do their job, and we make minutia changes as needed to fit the game. We're not heavy schemers like Rex Ryan *shudders at memory* or guys like that. That I think gives us a chance in that I think the key to stopping you is fundamentally smart football with minor changes here and there.

I'm honestly more worried about our Offense vs. your defense. Not because I'm overly scared of your defense (though it's been much improved and playing very well) - But because this is the week that Allen can either confirm that he's the guy and is taking all the right steps, or it'll be a bit of a let down for us. I think it'll be good, but I also have Bills PTSD that has me worried. 

The experts definitely screwed the pooch on that draft class, but they usually do. Our teams are benefitting from it for sure.  I don't remember that game- what year was that? 

I'm excited and nervous for Sunday. If we win, it'll be great, and if we lose, it'll help you keep the road to the SB out of NE. That's a silver lining for me. 

I hope you're back after the game to discuss stuff- I will warn you, this place is a bit of a ***** hole during games, (think Mos Eisley cantina) and people can be real ***** on game day- win or lose. Don't take it personal. :P

Thanks, I'll definitely stop by after the game. This is a great forum, with intelligent discussion about football; none of the nonsense of Browns or Steelers boards.

BTW, Flacco's 5-pick game was in 2013, right after winning the Super Bowl and signing the massive contract. Talk about your bad omens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Nice post. You've already brought more to the table than the other Ravens fans who found their way over here this week. Hopefully you're back to talk ball on Monday if the Bills somehow find a way to win.

As Whatdrought mentioned, even if the Bills lose, the silver lining for us Bills fans will be that it hopefully means the path to the Super Bowl goes through Baltimore rather than Foxborough. I would honestly sacrifice this win if it meant ultimately keeping the Patriots out of their fourth straight Super Bowl.

One more thing: I expect that somehow, by hook or by crook, there will be a Ravens-Pats re-match in the playoffs. If that happens, I'd be very nervous as a Ravens fan. It's one thing to beat Belichick once in a given season. Doing it twice? Not so easy.

Here's to a good game Sunday with no injuries.

• Like (+1) 4