Week 14 - Ravens (-6.5) at Bills Over/Under 44

1 hour ago, Jaydee414 said:

If Oliver has figured it out, he can be a beast. As to him being fast enough to catch LJ in the pocket, if LJ is hemmed in, Olivers speed is irrelevant. If you mean fast enough to chase/catch LJ, not a chance. 
You are correct, the BAL WR’s are not frequent targets. However, sleep on #15 and he will be 40 yards downfield in a blink. LJ looks TE first, even moreso in BUF wind/weather. Andrews & Hurst are match-up nightmares, and Boyle is often dismissed as a receiver. It all comes down to “pick your poison” and hope you choose correctly. 

You mentioned Edmunds speed in an earlier post... Where Edmunds size and speed ratio is most evident is when he’s covering TEs or in zone. He’s as big as your TEs, faster, and has longer arms. He can blanket TEs and seriously shrink expected holes in zone coverage.

Milano is a converted safety that can lose a size battle in coverage if the ball is high pointed. However, he’s a dog with excellent instincts and coverage skills. If the passes are off the mark he’ll get a hand on it. 

Alexander you can beat with speed. You’re probably not going to trick the guy into being out of position or out muscle him though. It’s the coverage matchup I’d expect Baltimore to exploit unless they can get a WR on one of the other LBers. 

If Milano and Edmunds play disciplined football and don’t leave their coverage assignments early they matchup favorably against your TEs. However, that’s going to come down to how well the DL performs and whether they can resist leaving coverage to attack Jackson on the perimeter if/when he breaks contain. 

Also don’t be surprised if the Bills stick T White on one of your TEs from time to time. They’ve done that to other teams. 

As for the WRs... In general you’re going to see a lot of zone coverage. They force teams to nickel and dime their way down the field. That’s accomplished by excellent communication in the secondary coupled with talent. Hyde and Poyer will also change up coverages at the last moment with perfect execution. When big plays happen it’s usually due to a player slipping or being overly aggressive, but they’re aggressive there’s usually a second defender nearby.  That said, Wallace can be outmatched physically by larger wideouts. 

Should be a good game. These teams matchup in some interesting ways that make the outcome difficult to predict. I expect it to pivot on turnovers and discipline. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jaydee414 said:

Greetings: Lifelong Baltimore fan here. Season tix holder since the BALTIMORE Colt days. (Yes, that still hurts). I’ve been reading this board all week and must say I am happy to find a board of thoughtful, insightful posters. Of course, there are the occasional lunkheads; they exist on every fan board, but you guys are head & shoulders above the tripe that frequent the CLE or PIT boards, not to mention the sanctimonious, smug Massholes on the NE boards. Well done, Buffalo. 

As to tomorrow’s game, I don’t believe any/many intelligent Ravens fans are viewing this as a “walkover” or an “easy” game. While acknowledging   the relative ease of the Bills schedule, don’t forget the Ravens have played MIA, AZ, CIN twice, and CLE (who curb-stomped BAL in week 4).

As in every week, the key to shutting down the Ravens begins with #8 & the RPO. Different schemes have been employed this year with minimal success. Buffalo may/may not have the talent & discipling to succeed. If Murphy & Hughes can stay focused on their assignments and disregard what they THINK they see, allowing the ILB’s to “scrape” to the edge and the ILB’s have the speed to GET there, BUF may be able to slow down LJ. Edmunds has speed, but enough? We’ll see. Also, the ILB’s ingrained first reaction is going to be Ingram/Edwards on the dive. If the ILB’s take that FIRST step up into the line, they’ve lost the edge to LJ.  He is that fast. The Bills DL will have to maintain gap discipline, which is difficult with all the “angle” blocks that the BAL OL employs. Tall order for any D to hit on all those items consistently. Meanwhile, committing 8 to the box means 1on1 coverage for the CB’s. Good luck with M. Brown and the BAL TE’s.  Overall, quite a handful.

on D, BAL will bring pressure from any/every where. The RAVENS DL does not generate much pressure on the QB on their own, so blitzes are frequent and varied. Allen must read it quickly and the BUF WR’s & TE’s must open up immediately on their routes. I think the BUF LT may be in for a rough day. Singletary may have some success on the edge if the BAL containment is as poor as they showed last week vs SF. Ferguson (#45) was totally lost and abused last week. Not sure about the BUF TE’s blocking skills.

BAL has the best K in NFL history which is a nice arrow to have in one’s quiver. The elements in BUF may affect his value somewhat, but while many fans “hope” their K makes the kick, BAL fans “expect” Tucker to make everything inside 55 yds. 
Let’s hope for a good, injury free game. Baltimore is rooting for Buffalo to step up and knock off NE. Hell, we’d root for the Manson Family over NE. 

See you after the game. 

Thanks for the quality post and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around after the game, regardless of the outcome.

Your writeup is generally pretty spot on, from my perspective. The one thing I'll say is that I really don't see Jackson doing much damage through the air against the Bills. I ESPECIALLY don't see the Ravens receivers having big games. The Bills have the third ranked passing defense, and their specialty is not allowing big plays. They will give up the underneath stuff happily in the name of preventing big plays. They make you dink and dunk your way down the field, betting that you'll make a mistake along the way. The Bills have Tre'Davious White, who has been shutting down opposing number one receivers all season. They have also faced some pretty scary speed threat WRs this year and haven't given up much, if anything, to them. Lastly, weather reports show possible 35 mph winds in Orchard Park on Sunday. Given that fact and the fact that the Bills' defensive weakness is defending the run game, I don't expect a huge passing game output from Baltimore. 

On the other hand, the Bills defense ABSOLUTELY can be gashed in the running game. I know this sounds strange, but I'm actually less worried about Jackson than Ingram. Buffalo has two defensive specialties: Speed and discipline. Luckily for them, those are the ingredients needed to slow the Baltimore attack. Running sideways or trying to win through straight drop back passing are not recipes for success against Buffalo. Running north and south and then opening up the play action game is the key to victory. Buffalo is prone to stretches of absolutely horrendous run defense. My concern for the Bills defensively is that Baltimore will have their way with them in the run game, thus opening up play action at the second level.

At the end of the day, I expect it to be a relatively low scoring game, something like 20-17. Buffalo's best shot at victory is to find a way to match Baltimore score for score and get the ball last at the end with a chance to win it.

If the Bills wind up losing, the silver lining for Bills fans will be that the playoffs likely go through Baltimore rather than New England. If and when y'all face off against Belichick's boys for the second time in the playoffs, please do us a favor: KICK THEIR ASS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jaydee414 said:

Greetings: Lifelong Baltimore fan here. Season tix holder since the BALTIMORE Colt days. (Yes, that still hurts). I’ve been reading this board all week and must say I am happy to find a board of thoughtful, insightful posters. Of course, there are the occasional lunkheads; they exist on every fan board, but you guys are head & shoulders above the tripe that frequent the CLE or PIT boards, not to mention the sanctimonious, smug Massholes on the NE boards. Well done, Buffalo. 

As to tomorrow’s game, I don’t believe any/many intelligent Ravens fans are viewing this as a “walkover” or an “easy” game. While acknowledging   the relative ease of the Bills schedule, don’t forget the Ravens have played MIA, AZ, CIN twice, and CLE (who curb-stomped BAL in week 4).

As in every week, the key to shutting down the Ravens begins with #8 & the RPO. Different schemes have been employed this year with minimal success. Buffalo may/may not have the talent & discipling to succeed. If Murphy & Hughes can stay focused on their assignments and disregard what they THINK they see, allowing the ILB’s to “scrape” to the edge and the ILB’s have the speed to GET there, BUF may be able to slow down LJ. Edmunds has speed, but enough? We’ll see. Also, the ILB’s ingrained first reaction is going to be Ingram/Edwards on the dive. If the ILB’s take that FIRST step up into the line, they’ve lost the edge to LJ.  He is that fast. The Bills DL will have to maintain gap discipline, which is difficult with all the “angle” blocks that the BAL OL employs. Tall order for any D to hit on all those items consistently. Meanwhile, committing 8 to the box means 1on1 coverage for the CB’s. Good luck with M. Brown and the BAL TE’s.  Overall, quite a handful.

on D, BAL will bring pressure from any/every where. The RAVENS DL does not generate much pressure on the QB on their own, so blitzes are frequent and varied. Allen must read it quickly and the BUF WR’s & TE’s must open up immediately on their routes. I think the BUF LT may be in for a rough day. Singletary may have some success on the edge if the BAL containment is as poor as they showed last week vs SF. Ferguson (#45) was totally lost and abused last week. Not sure about the BUF TE’s blocking skills.

BAL has the best K in NFL history which is a nice arrow to have in one’s quiver. The elements in BUF may affect his value somewhat, but while many fans “hope” their K makes the kick, BAL fans “expect” Tucker to make everything inside 55 yds. 
Let’s hope for a good, injury free game. Baltimore is rooting for Buffalo to step up and knock off NE. Hell, we’d root for the Manson Family over NE. 

See you after the game. 

Good post.  I see BAL and BUF as being in different places in their evolution as teams.  BAL is the whole package at this point.  Strong D, Strong ST, Unique O that no one's successfully "solved" yet.  BUF is the scrappy up-and-comers.  On a good day, we can run with anyone.  On a bad day, uh-oh.  So we're hoping for the "good day"

I'd like to hear more about the Baltimore situation at Center.  I believe I heard Harbaugh referencing the center setting protections for Lamar.  Skura just went on IR, how do you feel about the Center situation?

Along the same theme of "different places" we're in a different place with how we're handling our QB, asking him to ride-or-die as a pocket-capable QB responsible for setting his own protections.  We had some "die" moments earlier in the season vs NE (after which Allen seemed to make a significant change) when Daboll hung too much on him (went away from the run game too much) vs the Eagles and Browns, but to Allen's credit he seems to be fighting hard to get better fast.  The last 3 games (since the Browns) have seen a marked improvement on offense and we hope represents another significant improvement.  Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Baltimore def. has it all over us at the TE position.  All our TE are capable blockers though.  Smith is the best, essentially another OLman but more mobile.  He's struggled with false start penalties this year.  Kroft is the dark horse.  He was signed to be the starter who would finally give us capable all-around TE play, but broke his foot and was out for training camp, picked up a new injury just before he returned, and was inactive until week 8.   He's a capable blocker and pass catcher, but seems out of sync in the offense and hasn't produced to date (4 receptions on 7 targets).  In his absence, our rookie Knox has played better than was expected of him at this point but is still developing as a receiver (total of 39 receptions in college).  He has come on as a blocker.  He can make some high DOD catches but can also let some bunnies fall to the turf.  If he hauls it in and starts trucking upfield, bring your A game to tackle him, he can do an "angry run" but he's not the reliable outlet that Andrews is for Lamar.  I definitely have "tight end envy" when looking at the Baltimore roster, and I'm not talking about how their butts look in pants.

Baltimore has another important edge on ST.  We used to call our kicker "Haush-money" because he was so reliable.  He's 1 for 5 from >50 yds this year, and that's WITH McDermott going for a bunch of 4th downs where he might have preferred to take the points if he thought we'd get 'em.  But that's only the start of the miscues.  I hope McDermott has shown the flag in a few ST meetings this week.

• Like (+1) 3

So who has the biggest game offensively tomorrow?

I think Singletary is a safe bet, but what about in the passing game?

My guess is Peters covers Brown. How are the Ravens in their other coverage spots?

Is this a KNOX SMASH!!! game?

Foster breakout game?

Beasley for the 2nd week in a row?

Old reliable Brown?

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My guess is Peters covers Brown. How are the Ravens in their other coverage spots?

Foster breakout game?

Old reliable Brown?

The potential 35 mph wind gives me pause.

That being said, "smart money" would tell us that Cole Beasley will have the biggest game. Slot receivers have been pretty productive against the Ravens defense this season. Furthermore, I expect the Ravens defense to bring all sorts of exotic pressures and force Josh to make quick decisions. As such, his trusty outlet and safety blanket Cole Beasley seems like a good bet to put up numbers.

HOWEVER...one must never disregard the "revenge game". John Brown will be motivated to show out against the Ravens, methinks.

28 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Foster breakout game?

Old reliable Brown?

I agree about Singletary, but I have a feeling John Brown will put on a show as long as Allen has time. If the passing game is solid tomorrow I expect John Brown to put up some good numbers.

If the Ravens concentrate on Brown too much though Beasley will be a big factor again. So hopefully, as far as the Bills side of the ball is concerned, hopefully Allen leads the way with a good game and the rest will fall into place.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree about Singletary, but I have a feeling John Brown will put on a show as long as Allen has time. If the passing game is solid tomorrow I expect John Brown to put up some good numbers.

If the Ravens concentrate on Brow too much though Beasley will be a big factor again. So hopefully, as far as the Bills side of the ball is concerned, hopefully Allen leads the way with a good game and the rest will fall into place.

I also think Brown is the guy tomorrow. Ravens don’t have the speed to match in secondary.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I also think Brown is the guy tomorrow. Ravens don’t have the speed to match in secondary.

Yes,  the wind could be a factor though. But we all know Allen can zip it through the wind without problem. Hopefully the wind will be more of an issue for the Ravens rather than the Bills.

Also if the wind is a problem, I wonder how much it will make the Bills think about going for 2 instead of kicking the XP after scores. Maybe even go for it more often on 4th as long as you're on a decent spot on the field.

Ravens Center is Patrick Mekari, a rookie UDFA. Line calls may have shifted to 6-time All-Pro RG Marshal Yanda, so no problem there. Mekari played 3/4 of the Rams game, where Aaron Donald got shut down, and played well in his first start against the Niners tough d-line.

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I was not aware of the Ravens propensity to Blitz and certainly not Josh's success since week 5 .. Next Gen stats from Ravens site .. very interesting.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/next-gen-stats-ravens-vs-bills-matchups-to-watch

It’s been said that the Ravens “blitz coming off the bus”. They don’t generate enough pressure using four, so they’ll go five or six most of the time.

Edited by RavensFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the quality post and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around after the game, regardless of the outcome.

Your writeup is generally pretty spot on, from my perspective. The one thing I'll say is that I really don't see Jackson doing much damage through the air against the Bills. I ESPECIALLY don't see the Ravens receivers having big games. The Bills have the third ranked passing defense, and their specialty is not allowing big plays. They will give up the underneath stuff happily in the name of preventing big plays. They make you dink and dunk your way down the field, betting that you'll make a mistake along the way. The Bills have Tre'Davious White, who has been shutting down opposing number one receivers all season. They have also faced some pretty scary speed threat WRs this year and haven't given up much, if anything, to them. Lastly, weather reports show possible 35 mph winds in Orchard Park on Sunday. Given that fact and the fact that the Bills' defensive weakness is defending the run game, I don't expect a huge passing game output from Baltimore. 

On the other hand, the Bills defense ABSOLUTELY can be gashed in the running game. I know this sounds strange, but I'm actually less worried about Jackson than Ingram. Buffalo has two defensive specialties: Speed and discipline. Luckily for them, those are the ingredients needed to slow the Baltimore attack. Running sideways or trying to win through straight drop back passing are not recipes for success against Buffalo. Running north and south and then opening up the play action game is the key to victory. Buffalo is prone to stretches of absolutely horrendous run defense. My concern for the Bills defensively is that Baltimore will have their way with them in the run game, thus opening up play action at the second level.

At the end of the day, I expect it to be a relatively low scoring game, something like 20-17. Buffalo's best shot at victory is to find a way to match Baltimore score for score and get the ball last at the end with a chance to win it.

If the Bills wind up losing, the silver lining for Bills fans will be that the playoffs likely go through Baltimore rather than New England. If and when y'all face off against Belichick's boys for the second time in the playoffs, please do us a favor: KICK THEIR ASS!

curious, what's your definition of ABSOLUTELY gashed?  only once the Bills have given up more than 150 yards, and i don't consider 150 ABSOLUTELY gashed.

subsequently the Ravens have given up 193, 157, 174 subsequently with another game of 140.

not arguing that we may be susceptible to the run but i'm not sure we've been running over the entire year let alone gashed with the exception of that Eagles game and one of those runs went for 65.

now if your expectation is to hold a team under 100 every game then i guess 150 is well exceeding that but when you stop the pass like we do something suffers so i assume we're going to have an average of 100ish per game in a season.

edit - additionally the way we play our games, as our lead increases we go more conservative it keeps games closer and teams are still running against us, the cowboys game may be an exception but if you look at the game loges they were still trying to run well into the 3rd Q.

Edited by Say When...

8 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Ravens Center is Patrick Mekari, a rookie UDFA. Line calls may have shifted to 6-time All-Pro RG Marshal Yanda, so no problem there. Mekari played 3/4 of the Rams game, where Aaron Donald got shut down, and played well in his first start against the Niners tough d-line.

It’s been said that the Ravens “blitz coming off the bus”. They don’t generate enough pressure using four, so they’ll go five or six most of the time.

Interesting... this is EXACTLY what people have said NOT to do against Jackson in this game because he'll get a big gain on the ground evading pressure.

Wonder if this is a game Allen dominates on the ground.

4 hours ago, Jaydee414 said:

See you after the game. 

preface my comments by saying i'm not trying to be an overly defensive jerk. this post took a lot of thought and I appreciate it. here's the thing.... you basically preface it all by saying you don't think its gonna be a "walkover" game.....

…… and then proceed to sorta slant the narrative towards it being a walkover game. haha. 

4 hours ago, Jaydee414 said:

See you after the game. 

Great take man! Welcome to the board. Feel free to come by anytime you want- not just when we're matching up with the Flying Poes. We love having other fans for general discussion. 

A couple thoughts on your perfectly laid out analysis:

- Edumunds has the speed, but his instincts can sometimes be less than great which is questionable in this game. I expect Milano to be a bigger deal for us (he's our WLB whose playing at an all-pro level, if you aren't familiar) in keeping Lamar contained. 

- If we can keep Lamar in the pocket, I trust our backend over your receiving core. Andrews is no pushover, but between our Saftey combo and Tre White whose a top 2 corner in the league, I think we can manage them. That being said, I don't know how we'll contain Lamar. 

- On offense, I am worried about the blitz, but for the past 3 weeks we've reinvented our offense which has increased Allens effectiveness against the blitz. The up-tempo, no huddle, adjustments at the line, type that we're doing lately has really helped. Hopefully it will continue. Allen is also very dangerous to blitz. Not as much as Lamar, but still. He's good for some damn good scrambles and "how did he get out of that" plays a game, and he can hit windows that don't exist because of his arm strength. We'll see if he can put it together. 

- I would kill for Justin Tucker. 

- I have been wondering, did Cleveland do anything special to shut down your offense? Or was it juts finding it's rhythm at the time? Why did that game go so poorly for you guys?

- Lastly, and I've said this up thread to some other Ravens fans - While I hope for, and expect (Homerism alive and well) a Bills victory, this is a game I can be somewhat okay losing as long as you guys take care of business and get the #1 seed from NE. If we play hard, do a good job containing Lamar, keep it close and lose a game between two great teams, I'll be mostly alright. As long as we don't get blown out.

Good luck tomorrow, and ***** the Pats!

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I like it when another teams fan comes here and can talk football instead of just trying to troll.  Hoping for a fun game, good long battle, and no injuries.  Enjoy the game man.

Right? 

We got off to a bumpy start with Ravens fans with that one #######, but we've had some purely pleasant dudes show up! Love to see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

If that's the case then, Allen will likely have Beasley to rely on or he may even get away himself racking up more rushing yards. In any event, it will be very interesting to see the way these 2 teams game plan against each other.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah. And Peters is the type of DB that makes flashy plays but sometimes his attempts at ball hawking result in a blown coverage. Hopefully we can get Smoke going and then start hitting Foster on some underneath routes for YAC like we started seeing a couple weeks ago.

I expect them to target Edmunds on the read option. Will be interesting to see if Hughes/Lawson will be used like 49ers did w/crashing on Ingram and forcing the QB keep. If so, I think it will be Edmunds in scrape exchange with crashing DE. Here's how the Niners did it: 

10 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

If that's the case then, Allen will likely have Beasley to rely on or he may even get away himself racking up more rushing yards. In any event, it will be very interesting to see the way these 2 teams game plan against each other.

They were very disciplined with their rush lanes vs. the Texans, and sacked Watson 7 times, even though he’s quite mobile. They can’t leave lanes for Allen to run.

3 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

They were very disciplined with their rush lanes vs. the Texans, and sacked Watson 7 times, even though he’s quite mobile. They can’t leave lanes for Allen to run.

Watson is elusive, but I think Allen is more so. Hard to say for sure either way. I hope we're running enough that you guys wont be able to key off on the blitz.

I have said several times that this feels like a good matchup (maybe that's me being too prideful of our chances) - but who do you think would be the best matchup for you guys across the whole NFL? The 49ers obviously were a good one, but they didn't really have an answer for Lamar (also kinda a bad sample with that weather)