Week 14 - Ravens (-6.5) at Bills Over/Under 44

Greetings: Lifelong Baltimore fan here. Season tix holder since the BALTIMORE Colt days. (Yes, that still hurts). I’ve been reading this board all week and must say I am happy to find a board of thoughtful, insightful posters. Of course, there are the occasional lunkheads; they exist on every fan board, but you guys are head & shoulders above the tripe that frequent the CLE or PIT boards, not to mention the sanctimonious, smug Massholes on the NE boards. Well done, Buffalo. 

As to tomorrow’s game, I don’t believe any/many intelligent Ravens fans are viewing this as a “walkover” or an “easy” game. While acknowledging   the relative ease of the Bills schedule, don’t forget the Ravens have played MIA, AZ, CIN twice, and CLE (who curb-stomped BAL in week 4).

As in every week, the key to shutting down the Ravens begins with #8 & the RPO. Different schemes have been employed this year with minimal success. Buffalo may/may not have the talent & discipling to succeed. If Murphy & Hughes can stay focused on their assignments and disregard what they THINK they see, allowing the ILB’s to “scrape” to the edge and the ILB’s have the speed to GET there, BUF may be able to slow down LJ. Edmunds has speed, but enough? We’ll see. Also, the ILB’s ingrained first reaction is going to be Ingram/Edwards on the dive. If the ILB’s take that FIRST step up into the line, they’ve lost the edge to LJ.  He is that fast. The Bills DL will have to maintain gap discipline, which is difficult with all the “angle” blocks that the BAL OL employs. Tall order for any D to hit on all those items consistently. Meanwhile, committing 8 to the box means 1on1 coverage for the CB’s. Good luck with M. Brown and the BAL TE’s.  Overall, quite a handful.

on D, BAL will bring pressure from any/every where. The RAVENS DL does not generate much pressure on the QB on their own, so blitzes are frequent and varied. Allen must read it quickly and the BUF WR’s & TE’s must open up immediately on their routes. I think the BUF LT may be in for a rough day. Singletary may have some success on the edge if the BAL containment is as poor as they showed last week vs SF. Ferguson (#45) was totally lost and abused last week. Not sure about the BUF TE’s blocking skills.

BAL has the best K in NFL history which is a nice arrow to have in one’s quiver. The elements in BUF may affect his value somewhat, but while many fans “hope” their K makes the kick, BAL fans “expect” Tucker to make everything inside 55 yds. 
Let’s hope for a good, injury free game. Baltimore is rooting for Buffalo to step up and knock off NE. Hell, we’d root for the Manson Family over NE. 

See you after the game. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, Jaydee414 said:

Greetings: Lifelong Baltimore fan here. Season tix holder since the BALTIMORE Colt days. (Yes, that still hurts). I’ve been reading this board all week and must say I am happy to find a board of thoughtful, insightful posters. Of course, there are the occasional lunkheads; they exist on every fan board, but you guys are head & shoulders above the tripe that frequent the CLE or PIT boards, not to mention the sanctimonious, smug Massholes on the NE boards. Well done, Buffalo. 

As to tomorrow’s game, I don’t believe any/many intelligent Ravens fans are viewing this as a “walkover” or an “easy” game. While acknowledging   the relative ease of the Bills schedule, don’t forget the Ravens have played MIA, AZ, CIN twice, and CLE (who curb-stomped BAL in week 4).

As in every week, the key to shutting down the Ravens begins with #8 & the RPO. Different schemes have been employed this year with minimal success. Buffalo may/may not have the talent & discipling to succeed. If Murphy & Hughes can stay focused on their assignments and disregard what they THINK they see, allowing the ILB’s to “scrape” to the edge and the ILB’s have the speed to GET there, BUF may be able to slow down LJ. Edmunds has speed, but enough? We’ll see. Also, the ILB’s ingrained first reaction is going to be Ingram/Edwards on the dive. If the ILB’s take that FIRST step up into the line, they’ve lost the edge to LJ.  He is that fast. The Bills DL will have to maintain gap discipline, which is difficult with all the “angle” blocks that the BAL OL employs. Tall order for any D to hit on all those items consistently. Meanwhile, committing 8 to the box means 1on1 coverage for the CB’s. Good luck with M. Brown and the BAL TE’s.  Overall, quite a handful.

on D, BAL will bring pressure from any/every where. The RAVENS DL does not generate much pressure on the QB on their own, so blitzes are frequent and varied. Allen must read it quickly and the BUF WR’s & TE’s must open up immediately on their routes. I think the BUF LT may be in for a rough day. Singletary may have some success on the edge if the BAL containment is as poor as they showed last week vs SF. Ferguson (#45) was totally lost and abused last week. Not sure about the BUF TE’s blocking skills.

BAL has the best K in NFL history which is a nice arrow to have in one’s quiver. The elements in BUF may affect his value somewhat, but while many fans “hope” their K makes the kick, BAL fans “expect” Tucker to make everything inside 55 yds. 
Let’s hope for a good, injury free game. Baltimore is rooting for Buffalo to step up and knock off NE. Hell, we’d root for the Manson Family over NE. 

See you after the game. 

Thanks for stopping by and the analysis and information. The one guy you didn’t mention who could be a game changer is Ed Oliver . I think Oliver is going to be in Lamars face up the middle and Oliver is fast enough the catch Lamar in the pocket. Hughes and Murphy need to keep the edge and funnel everything back to the middle OR make Lamar run so far out of the way to get outside that the LB and cornerbacks are waiting. Let’s be honest, Lamar hasn’t really used his wide receivers that much compared to TE. Cornerbacks Tre White and Kevin Johnson/Levi Wallace need to be sure tacklers. Love to see how Lamar looks having 40+ attempts. Make Jackson play QB. 

On offense Allen needs to play like he did against Dallas. I see Singletary having a big game and also Foster/McKenzie. Baltimore looked weak on the edges against SF. Buffalo has some good blocking TE’s.  I think the Bills can run and score on Baltimore. I also think Daboll will have a couple wrinkles. 
I agree let’s hope everyone stays healthy and we see a great game. And yes we all want to see New England end their reign. I firmly believe it’s coming quick. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thanks for stopping by and the analysis and information. The one guy you didn’t mention who could be a game changer is Ed Oliver . I think Oliver is going to be in Lamars face up the middle and Oliver is fast enough the catch Lamar in the pocket. Hughes and Murphy need to keep the edge and funnel everything back to the middle OR make Lamar run so far out of the way to get outside that the LB and cornerbacks are waiting. Let’s be honest, Lamar hasn’t really used his wide receivers that much compared to TE. Cornerbacks Tre White and Kevin Johnson/Levi Wallace need to be sure tacklers. Love to see how Lamar looks having 40+ attempts. Make Jackson play QB. 

On offense Allen needs to play like he did against Dallas. I see Singletary having a big game and also Foster/McKenzie. Baltimore looked weak on the edges against SF. Buffalo has some good blocking TE’s.  I think the Bills can run and score on Baltimore. I also think Daboll will have a couple wrinkles. 
I agree let’s hope everyone stays healthy and we see a great game. And yes we all want to see New England end their reign. I firmly believe it’s coming quick. 

If Oliver has figured it out, he can be a beast. As to him being fast enough to catch LJ in the pocket, if LJ is hemmed in, Olivers speed is irrelevant. If you mean fast enough to chase/catch LJ, not a chance. 
You are correct, the BAL WR’s are not frequent targets. However, sleep on #15 and he will be 40 yards downfield in a blink. LJ looks TE first, even moreso in BUF wind/weather. Andrews & Hurst are match-up nightmares, and Boyle is often dismissed as a receiver. It all comes down to “pick your poison” and hope you choose correctly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Jaydee414 said:

If Oliver has figured it out, he can be a beast. As to him being fast enough to catch LJ in the pocket, if LJ is hemmed in, Olivers speed is irrelevant. If you mean fast enough to chase/catch LJ, not a chance. 
You are correct, the BAL WR’s are not frequent targets. However, sleep on #15 and he will be 40 yards downfield in a blink. LJ looks TE first, even moreso in BUF wind/weather. Andrews & Hurst are match-up nightmares, and Boyle is often dismissed as a receiver. It all comes down to “pick your poison” and hope you choose correctly. 

There is a very nice video on here showing Oliver and Houston dominating in college against Lamar and Louisville.  Now that doesn’t mean much, but it shows Oliver’s quickness is enough in close quarters to get to Lamar. I think the Bills matchup very well against Baltimore. I hope the Bills can force Lamar to throw to the outside and make him go through reads.  I also like our coaches scheming up a game plan and McDermott and Leslie Frazier to make in game adjustments on D.

Really interesting article from the Baltimore Sun where their sports writers answer such questions as whether the Ravens should be concerned about their difficulties containing the run given the Bills running back and whether JA is the 2nd best QB from the 2018 class. Very insightful IMHO. 

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/baltimore-sun/20191207/281792810901980

47 minutes ago, Jaydee414 said:

nice post. It’s nice when non trolls visit. 

You forgot Matt Milano.  
You forgot Jordan Poyer.

You forgot Micah Hyde.

You forgot Tre’ White.

You forgot Ed Oliver.  

And probably 1 or 2 others. 

18 minutes ago, Jaydee414 said:

Have you seen Oliver coming off of a block? Doesn't matter how fast you are if your interior OL is blown up like that. You expect an offensive lineman to at least slow the rush down. When it doesn't, it's too late.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Bills are going to come out pissed and ready to kick some ass.

Home field will be huge.

Dont play too tight, don’t play too loose, just play right. 

we will be fine. 

but goddamnit Scuba Steve, you better be perfect. 

...jeez, choose some other words.....currently not a strong suit...:thumbsup:

Harbs?  i'm sure no different than us using McD but Harbs?  it's not like Harbaugh is that hard to type out and that's the actual media typing it out, McD is a fan nickname.

still not as bad as 'Jules'; no grown man should ever call another grown man 'Jules' unless they're heading out to Brokeback mountain...

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Who is the Raven's back up QB? If Jackson gets hurt, does the entire Raven's offense collapse? 

RG3

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

Harbs?  i'm sure no different than us using McD but Harbs?  it's not like Harbaugh is that hard to type out and that's the actual media typing it out, McD is a fan nickname.

still not as bad as 'Jules'; no grown man should ever call another grown man 'Jules' unless they're heading out to Brokeback mountain...

RG3

that actually is pretty logical.  

10 minutes ago, Say When... said:

it's very smart in my mind, he's capable of running the same O, maybe not as effective but they don't have to change anything bringing him in.

That is the reason RG3 has a job in BAL. 

He has been nothing but a pro in his relationship with LJ and the entire BAL organization. 

2 hours ago, Jaydee414 said:

See you after the game. 

I like it when another teams fan comes here and can talk football instead of just trying to troll.  Hoping for a fun game, good long battle, and no injuries.  Enjoy the game man.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I like it when another teams fan comes here and can talk football instead of just trying to troll.  Hoping for a fun game, good long battle, and no injuries.  Enjoy the game man.

...sure as hell is......and he sounds like he knows his stuff......roll out the "welcome mat" for sure......:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Me too. It's happening more frequently lately. Hmm, wonder why?

• Like (+1) 1