Week 14 - Ravens (-6.5) at Bills Over/Under 44

There's a pretty good Vic Carruci article on TBN about the Ravens offense and Lamar Jackson, extensively quoting Louisville alum Eric Wood

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/01/buffalo-bills-eric-wood-lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-nfl-football-week-14-news-analysis-opinion-2019/

(paywall, I think there's a free trial)

A few key points:

"The Ravens' offensive line might very well be the most physical in the NFL......O-line coach Joe D'Alessandris.......preaches that his group be as physical as possible. D'Alessandris coached with the Bills from 2010 to 2012.

"Joe teaches physicality," Wood said. "Joe's an old steel-mill worker who started on the ground floor and worked his way up to an NFL offensive line coach. And what he does is he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and he gets guys to play hard and tough. He tracks how many times you put guys on the ground, which a lot of coaches don't do. And those guys get after it up front." "

On Greg Roman's system:
"A lot of times you can dictate coverage with a mobile quarterback. A lot of times, it's tough to run man-to-man coverage on third down without pressuring because if you have all your DBs chasing wide receivers down the field and the mobile quarterback escapes pocket, that's 40-50 yards and so you dictate coverage and you're teaching those guys that. And Greg just does a phenomenal job."

Jackson's athleticism is only part of the story. He has added the dimension of being an effective passer, as evidenced by his 20-yard touchdown throw and other clutch plays through the air against the Niners. That allows for Roman to be highly creative with actual plays and strategy designed to deceive.

"It looks like a lot of smoke and mirrors, and it is in the backfield," Wood said. "There are motions that mean nothing. They may be to identify coverage and they just may be to get the linebackers' eyes looking somewhere else. And then there's read fakes by the quarterback that the quarterback will never keep the ball. It's not truly a read.

"It just is another element of window dressing, but then you're getting hit in the mouth."

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

Going to be a tough game. Defense’s toughest test yet. I still think there is a way to shut the ravens down, similar to the Playoffs last year. Just not sure how. 

The Ravens went out in the off-season and added players, then revised their offensive scheme so as to avoid last season.

Key offensive skill player additions:

-Mark Ingram at RB.  30 years old, 5 ypa, and 70 ypg

-Nick Boyle (R) at TE

-Marquise Brown (R) at WR

-a much more pass-capable Lamar Jackson

What the Ravens looked like against the 9ers with 100+ yards passing, 180 yds rushing, and 20 points, is about as close to shut down as one's gonna get

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Ravens went out in the off-season and added players, then revised their offensive scheme so as to avoid last season.

Key offensive skill player additions:

-Mark Ingram at RB.  30 years old, 5 ypa, and 70 ypg

-Nick Boyle (R) at TE

-Marquise Brown (R) at WR

-a much more pass-capable Lamar Jackson

What the Ravens looked like against the 9ers with 100+ yards passing, 180 yds rushing, and 20 points, is about as close to shut down as one's gonna get

You never know. I still don’t think Jackson is a good passer. I think defenses just haven’t figured out a way to make him one dimensional. Granted, that’s a really tall task and no suggesting it’s easy. It’s not, no one has done it yet. But I think that possibility is out there. 

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

You never know. I still don’t think Jackson is a good passer. I think defenses just haven’t figured out a way to make him one dimensional. Granted, that’s a really tall task and no suggesting it’s easy. It’s not, no one has done it yet. But I think that possibility is out there. 

Yea if you can somehow scheme a way to make Lamar throw it 30+ times a game I think his limitations will show, evidenced by the first 6 weeks of the season when they were good but not the world beaters they are now. In this 8- game win streak he has thrown it over 30 times only once, against the Bengals when they won by 6 points.

But, like you said, that is a very tall task with their running schemes.

Focus on stopping Ingram smashing the gaps. MUST play assignment football. MUST funnel Lamar to the sideline. MUST take away the middle of the field in the passing game and force Jackson to throw to the sidelines. Easier said than done. 

On offense we have to have long drives and score TDs. They can be run on, and they can also be passed on if the run is successful. Josh is going to have to be his own weapon.

A Kick or Punt return would go a long way to flipping the score / momentum. 

Simply put, we need to have a great game in all three phases. It can be done, no one is unbeatable. But this is the best team in football in my opinion, and its going to take a perfect game to come out with the win. Im not expecting it though. 

• Like (+1) 2

This could be totally stupid because I’m not an NFL defensive coordinator, but, here goes...

Id clog the line and keep everyone in their lanes. I’m talking 4 or 5 linemen in the gaps, 2 or 3 LBs playing off the line and crashing, a safety in the middle and two DBs. The second it’s apparent it’s not a run, drop the LBs, a lineman, and clog up the middle passing lanes. Make Jackson stay and throw to the sidelines or in really tight windows.