Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

mykidsdad

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills have been very lucky so far this season that they have not had to depend upon their second stringers, especially on offense, often or long term.  Once past the starters, the quality on the offense drops precipitiously. 

An OLer, too.

If we're a "pass first team" then acquiring a true veteran WR1 through FA/trade and drafting a WR in the first three rounds seems imperative.   Other than Beasley and Brown, the Bills receivers aren't good enough for a team that depends on passing.

I’d be fine signing someone and then taking another in the top 3. Not sure what kind of money AJ green is gonna want, but I wouldn’t hate having him. I wonder if he’ll have to sign a 1 year prove it deal? Alshon Jeffery is another guy who interests me... he’s been hurt lately, but I could see him becoming free and as a piece of the puzzle he might make a nice addition.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

I hope we do something GREAT this year, but I still have this nagging feeling we’re a playmaker or two away from being a true contender. I think we need to sign as many of our productive players as we can, including Philips. We also need to draft a corner and build some depth, BUT to me I feel our biggest jump can take place if we add a dynamic number one type wide receiver. I’m trying to think about who that can be, and I’m stumped. It looks like there may NOT be a lot of great options this offseason. I’m just not seeing a lot of eye popping talent. 

These are the best WR options that may come available: 

NFL FREE AGENTS

Amari Cooper (Dallas may lock him up)

Robby Anderson (not a true number one)

AJ Green (too old?)

DRAFT

Jerry Jeudy, ALABAMA (1st rounder, probably gone before we pick)

Jalen Reagor, TCU (probably a good chance of grabbing in the 1st)

Antonio Gandy-Golden, LU (2nd or 3rd rounder)

If we are serious about adding a playmaker we may need to think long and hard about trading for someone. I’m convinced we are a playmaker away from having a top 10 Offense/Defense combination. Who might come available? Fuller in Houston maybe? Diggs or Thielen in Minnesota? And would we want to spend the capitol on a deal? Are there any players or scenarios I’m missing?, ether by way of draft or FA or even trade? I feel like we’re coming into all of this cap space without a lot of good options to spend it on.

Still say aj green and a draft pick...1 or 2 year deal to groom a rookie and give us instant production.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He'd be smart to test the free agent market if the Cowboys can't afford to tag him.  Limited FA options at WR's would probably lead to a bidding war for him.  The Bills would pry have to pay at least 20 to 22 million a year for him with 50 million guaranteed and I don't see Beane willing to do that if he wants to keep our defense intact.  I think we target a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

Let's not go in that direction

18 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I personally think Shenault from Colorado is tailor made for a Daboll offense. Big at 6’ 2” and 220, but moves like a RB. Lined up for Colorado at outside receiver, in the slot, running back and even as a wildcat QB. 

He excels in the intermediate areas, playing like a running back if he gets the ball in space. This is an area where Josh’s game has been steadily improving as well, so I could see those two things aligning. 

I think the answer lies in the draft. You list three draft eligible receivers. Most analysts see this as a big year for receivers, with up to 6 having 1st round round ability and upwards of 12-15 going in the first two rounds.  

I want this guy now 

Honestly, I’m not worried about it. I’m going to spend the rest of this season, however long it lasts, enjoying the freakin’ ride that the 2019 Bills are bringing us all on.

Plus, we have Brandon freaking Beane.

• Like (+1) 3

I think we really need a lightening quick and fast rb, home run hitter type, like penny on the seahawks. Should be a really nice complement to singletary. I assume the first round pick will be front 7 defensive help (de or athletic lb), and I'd be okay with aj green on a one year deal if foster is worth giving another year to become a wr. If foster isn't going to work out, draft someone to push him and no green. We could use a swing ot and I think we can get a CB out of the later round picks we have. 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Robby Anderson is absolutely a #1, but with the right QB.  Look at what John Brown is doing this year.

I have to disagree. I feel like Robby Anderson is the most overrated WR on this board. Smoke had an edge statistically on Anderson prior to this year, and to my knowledge he never threatened to rape a cop's wife. Pass on Robby Anderson, especially with the loaded draft.

10 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I think we really need a lightening quick and fast rb, home run hitter type, like penny on the seahawks. Should be a really nice complement to singletary. I assume the first round pick will be front 7 defensive help (de or athletic lb), and I'd be okay with aj green on a one year deal if foster is worth giving another year to become a wr. If foster isn't going to work out, draft someone to push him and no green. We could use a swing ot and I think we can get a CB out of the later round picks we have. 

Like DK Metcalf before, I'll be beating the Jonathan Taylor drum this year

Just general playmaker?  I'd love to see david johnson brought in as the RB1/2.  Could probably be had for basically nothing other than paying his salary.  I'm talking like swapping our 6th for the cards 7th - his value is that low and it saves zona 10 million cash in salary.  A lot to pay in a running back but he's probably better than gordon/drake/howard and pretty much everyone available other than henry.  

Improving the other running back should be a priority IMO - these guys get hurt... yeldon's fine and gore's fine... but it'd be nice to have a guy back there who was a home run threat and a potential 3 down beast should our main back get hurt.

I know people say - you can find these guys on the street and in the 3rd round and beyond - but you're getting a former all-pro for basically nothing.  It would allow you to prioritize upgrading other positions in free agency and the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Honestly, I’m not worried about it. I’m going to spend the rest of this season, however long it lasts, enjoying the freakin’ ride that the 2019 Bills are bringing us all on.

Plus, we have Brandon freaking Beane.

Absolutely! This is a scary and well coached Bills team that is worth the price of admission!

15 hours ago, Nelius said:

I have to disagree. I feel like Robby Anderson is the most overrated WR on this board. Smoke had an edge statistically on Anderson prior to this year, and to my knowledge he never threatened to rape a cop's wife. Pass on Robby Anderson, especially with the loaded draft.

Brown has been in the league longer. Of course he'd have the statistical edge.

Don't care the least bit about the threat to the cop.

We're just now seeing Robby and Darnold get on the same page.  Excellent route runner, with great hands and speed, to boot.  14.8ypc for his career.  He absolutely has the talent to be be a #1.

I like Robby a lot, but Brown fills that role.  I'd like the Bills to draft a wideout with a larger catch radius.  Been banging that drum for years now.

Edited by Chicken Boo

On 12/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, OZBILLS said:

Hoping we go later in the draft for the WR.

CB/OL first up

I just don’t see the logic. In 3 seasons under McDermott he’s.

Drafted White at the end of the 1st and developed him into a top-5 NFL CB.

Turned Micah Hyde from a half decent corner and special teams guy, into one of the premier safeties in the league.

Turned Jordan Poyer from a backup into a premier safety in the NFL.

Got very good CB2 play out of EJ Gaines, Kevin Johnson, Levi Wallace and for periods he even had guys like Ryan Lewis starting capably at CB2.

In my opinion this is the position that they are best able to identify to fill their scheme/roll, and develop said talent as well.

I wouldn’t draft a corner before round 4 or 5 honestly.

As for offensive line, I see your point, but I believe right now, they see a guy in Cody Ford who is doing the things they drafted him for with Nsekhe out. That, along with the fact the only starter we’ll lose could be Spain, and the fact we have very solid depth (Nsekhe will be back, Bates has been ok in his limited time, and Long is capable of starting at guard in the NFL). 

For me I think this draft is strong at receicer, and that’s where they’ll attack it. They like to draft for talent. 
2018 draft  of the QB’s- Josh Allen 

2019 draft of the d-linemen- Ed Oliver

2020 draft of the Wide Receiver- ????

I think Beane targets his drafts almost a year in advance. And rightfully so. They might bring a depth guy or two to compete in free agency, but my guess is they’ll draft one receiver in the 1st or 2nd round, along with another in the later rounds (5-7).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/2/2019 at 3:53 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

AJ Green on a 3 yr deal front loaded.

Then draft front 7 players with first three picks

I'm an AJ fan .. but sorry AJ is way too fragile and old for this investment ... can't believe I'm saying this .. but in comparing just two injury prone WR's ... Sammy though equally fragile is younger and could be cheaper if cut by Chiefs.  That said ... prefer us to use the draft (said to be best WR draft in years) to find our WR solution.

On December 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Robby Anderson is absolutely a #1, but with the right QB.  Look at what John Brown is doing this year.

I was on the James Hardy train in '08.  I blame Jauron, in part, for his lack of success.  In the past, I've wanted this team to draft Dez, Alshon and most recently D.K. and it looks like my WR dream is finally going to happen in 2020.

I look forward to the WR debates to come. 

Do you also blame Jauron for 9/11?

Geez.

• Haha (+1) 1