Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

mykidsdad

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

One name at CB that I'm sneaky keeping an eye out for is Bryce Hall, from Virginia. 

He was going to be a top 2 or 3 CB this year, but he broke his ankle early this season. If he drops into the second or third round, he's the kind of player McD might not be able to say no to as a value pick.

If Halls there in the third McD might soil his shorts. 

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I just wouldn't.  At least not Foster.  He's way too electrifying in his potential for me to move on from him, especially in a scenario next year where he would be the 4th WR.

McKenzie I could be swayed either way, although as a gadget player/5th WR, he'd be in the position he should be on this team.

I just can't see us investing in more than one WR this offseason with either FA $$$ or a high draft pick.  We run 11 personnel most of the time.  It's not like we're going 4/5 wide with all WR's.   

One WR is needed.  Two is overkill, IMO.

I almost think we will want to "redshirt" our WR and then it comes down to reasonable contract for AJ vs Foster/McKenzie. I'd take AJ all day over both of them and a top WR prospect. 

Now, if you go after Cooper who is the ripe age of 25 - I might even forgo a WR in RD1 and possibly RD2 and focus on Edge, LB, CB, LB/CB Tweener. This is why it all comes down to what our pick is and who gets tagged and who does not and how deep $$-wise Beane is willing to go. It's going to be a fun offseason

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I almost think we will want to "redshirt" our WR and then it comes down to reasonable contract for AJ vs Foster/McKenzie. I'd take AJ all day over both of them and a top WR prospect. 

Now, if you go after Cooper who is the ripe age of 25 - I might even forgo a WR in RD1 and possibly RD2 and focus on Edge, LB, CB, LB/CB Tweener. This is why it all comes down to what our pick is and who gets tagged and who does not and how deep $$-wise Beane is willing to go. It's going to be a fun offseason

Don't hate this idea at all. 

AJ Green would make sense in your scenario as i'd want a young WR ready to take over for him if/when he gets hurt.  I just hope signing Green wouldn't dissuade us from drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd as I don't trust his health to rely on him.

If we sign Cooper, then yea, i'm good with Brown/Beasley/Cooper and Foster/McKenzie/Roberts as depth.  That's a young enough group that a rookie WR isn't getting much playing time for years.

Edited by SCBills

I'm sure its been mentioned already...but this draft is stocked with WR talent.  If they want a WR they can count on a quality guy being available with their first pick regardless of where that is.  I'm sure there will be hits in rounds 2-4 as well.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Don't hate this idea at all. 

AJ Green would make sense in your scenario as i'd want a young WR ready to take over for him if/when he gets hurt.  

If we sign Cooper, then yea, i'm good with Brown/Beasley/Cooper and Foster/McKenzie/Roberts as depth.  That's a young enough group that a rookie WR isn't getting much playing time for years.

I haven't really thought about the depth chart, but we will be losing some good players that other teams will want - it's nice to be the team giving the scraps instead of picking them up. 

I agree 10000%

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

If Halls there in the third McD might soil his shorts. 

Seems unlikely, but it's possible. 

4 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Najee Harris would be a sick pick with that first round selection. Imagine Harris and Singletary with Josh Allen pounding the ball, disgusting.

I don't think Harris is going to be a first round pick... So far his stock seems anywhere from low second to 4th round... 

Some reminders on Beane & Drafting/FA:

1.) He's been adamant throughout his tenure that good teams build their foundation and core through the draft and supplement through free agency. Do we have a core that has been built in the draft? Are we looking to supplement that core now via FA? What do you consider a WR or an Edge DE?

2.) Beane is open to swapping picks and moving in any direction to try and get the players he has targeted on his board.

3.) There's a lot at play in the war room when Beane and his staff are trying to figure out what their best play is during the draft.

“When the coaches get their chance to present who they like, (we have to figure out) ‘How does this guy fit?’ You’ve got a sixth-round grade on him, and he’s the last position on his roster,” Beane said. “Who does he beat out? If you’re telling me he’s definitely going to beat out somebody, you feel, barring health, that he’s going to beat out a guy, then I feel better about taking that guy than one where you say, ‘Ah, he’s going to battle with a guy that was on our practice squad last year who really didn’t make the team. I don’t know which one’s better.' Then maybe you trade up to get a guy that you know, ‘This guy is making my roster and at a minimum, he’s helping us on special teams.’”

4.) Beane drafted five players in 2018 that played in the Senior Bowl that year and even signed one undrafted free agent (cornerback Levi Wallace) who also played in the game. The maturity that seniors bring to the NFL as rookies is a valuable commodity for teams, and Bills coach Sean McDermott values that maturity as he challenges his players to compete on the field, in the film room and in the weight room.

5.) Beane also likes younger players, though. He took 19-year-old Edmunds last year in the first round and won't shy away from going after an impact rookie just because they didn't play four years in college. “There are some of these underclassmen that we’ve met that are some really fine young men, mature beyond their years,” Beane said. “Look at Tremaine last year. You guys saw a guy that, despite being 19 when we drafted him, he’s very mature. I don’t think as a whole they are, but I do think there are some that definitely are.”

6.) Beane emphasized the importance of tape when evaluating players within the scouting department. When being asked about Devin Singletary’s massive workload in college, Beane said he wasn’t concerned because on tape, “his lower [body] is bigger than you would think when you see on tape…when we were watching him at some point, rarely do you see him take a lot of blows.” Again, when describing sixth-round cornerback Jaquan Johnson: “He’s not going to jump out of the gym or run the fastest, but when you turn on the tape, you see a football player.” Seeing a player on tape is the ultimate truth for the Bills GM.

7.) Beane had another illuminating moment when he was asked about seventh-round defensive end Darryl Johnson’s size. According to him, the team makes sure to ‘body-type’ prospects, which means to anticipate if they can literally grow into a position: “These guys that don’t play at the big-time programs don’t have the same nutrition plans, and you see that with guys. We take that into account. We try to look at guys, that’s one of the things we do, we body-type them. Does this guy look like he can add good muscle?”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

I don't think Harris is going to be a first round pick... So far his stock seems anywhere from low second to 4th round... 

He will go in the late first to early second. Guy is a freaking battering ram. Reminds me of Derrick Henry. It’s still really early but why not take the best RB in the draft? Smoke has proven to be a solid #1.

3 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

He will go in the late first to early second. Guy is a freaking battering ram. Reminds me of Derrick Henry. It’s still really early but why not take the best RB in the draft? Smoke has proven to be a solid #1.

We'll see. Good runningback class, and people are hesitant about Bama backs as they are such a mixed bag - I don't think he'll go in the first. 

If he is a first rounder, I don't want anything to do with him. No need to take a RB before the 3rd at the very earliest. - generally as a rule, and specifically this year after we just invested in Motor who is rounding into a good every down back. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We'll see. Good runningback class, and people are hesitant about Bama backs as they are such a mixed bag - I don't think he'll go in the first. 

If he is a first rounder, I don't want anything to do with him. No need to take a RB before the 3rd at the very earliest. - generally as a rule, and specifically this year after we just invested in Motor who is rounding into a good every down back. 

Yeah but RB is a plug and play position. With Gore gone we need to add a new body there. Our line is damn solid, with Singletary and Harris we are sitting pretty. I mean, oh wow what a running attack that’d be.

2 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Yeah but RB is a plug and play position. With Gore gone we need to add a new body there. Our line is damn solid, with Singletary and Harris we are sitting pretty. I mean, oh wow what a running attack that’d be.

I just don't think runningback is ever (or at least very rarely) worth a first round pick, especially not when you're talking about part two of a two back field. - besides, we're not a run first team anymore. We're a pass first team now. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm sorry - you think the Bills' solution is to add a "battering ram"-type compliment to Singletary WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK?  That is just... 

As if you’re confused emoji reaction just wasn’t enough. Maybe you should accept that it’s a big world and not everyone will think as you do or agree with you. Acceptance of a difference in opinion may benefit you “Coach”.

Singletary is not big enough to handle a major workload. Gore will likely retire and is up there in years. Harris could wear down defenses for Singletary.

Josh Jacobs has done well for the Raiders and we are picking right about where they did. NFL teams are utilizing smaller LBs to combat a pass happy league so it makes sense to have a gifted power RB.

Between Singletary and Harris Buffalo would destroy teams on the ground and Allen would be the coup de grace to opposing defenses. Why is this so hard to grasp? It’s seemingly so simple to understand that even someone with an infant’s intellect could understand.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

As the roster stands Foster and McKenzie can be improved upon and Roberts gets the return spot. Kroft, Lee, and Sweeney aren’t all needed. Plus the bottom of the roster is always churning.... Yeldon, Perry, etc can all be replaced. You upgrade when and where you can. 

The Bills have been very lucky so far this season that they have not had to depend upon their second stringers, especially on offense, often or long term.  Once past the starters, the quality on the offense drops precipitiously. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Should always draft a CB/DB

An OLer, too.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I just don't think runningback is ever (or at least very rarely) worth a first round pick, especially not when you're talking about part two of a two back field. - besides, we're not a run first team anymore. We're a pass first team now. 

If we're a "pass first team" then acquiring a true veteran WR1 through FA/trade and drafting a WR in the first three rounds seems imperative.   Other than Beasley and Brown, the Bills receivers aren't good enough for a team that depends on passing.

Robby Anderson is absolutely a #1, but with the right QB.  Look at what John Brown is doing this year.

I was on the James Hardy train in '08.  I blame Jauron, in part, for his lack of success.  In the past, I've wanted this team to draft Dez, Alshon and most recently D.K. and it looks like my WR dream is finally going to happen in 2020.

I look forward to the WR debates to come. 

28 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills have been very lucky so far this season that they have not had to depend upon their second stringers, especially on offense, often or long term.  Once past the starters, the quality on the offense drops precipitiously. 

If we're a "pass first team" then acquiring a true veteran WR1 through FA/trade and drafting a WR in the first three rounds seems imperative.   Other than Beasley and Brown, the Bills receivers aren't good enough for a team that depends on passing.

For sure. It’d be different if Foster had secured the spot opposite Brown, but he’s failed to do so. He has ST value, so I’m fine with keeping him while cheap. We need a better #2 and #3 though if we’re going with a pass first attack. McKenzie can be effective on designed plays, but he’s not quite fast enough or big enough to be a threat without dramatically improving his route running. I’m not including Duke because he hasn’t worked himself back into the active roster for one reason or another. 

• Like (+1) 2