Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

mykidsdad

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I want zero part of this. Wait another year for Foster?? Waiting for Zay’s lightbulb was bad enough. 

don’t disagree with your question .... my point is, I’m not sure there’s a FA worth throwing big money at? ..... maybe Cooper, if not ridiculous, but no one else that I see 

Edited by CSBill

I can't see McD wanting to pay big free agent $$ to bring in another WR, or anyone for that matter. It's just not how these guys do things. It sends the wrong message. Besides, our current group of skill guys are pretty good -- underrated even, especially on this board. Think we make moves around the edges instead, and replenish via the draft.   

The Bills don’t need AJ Green any longer. DE and WR would seem to be our two biggest needs going into next season. Not sure you need to do anything regarding the OL other than additional depth. Need a power RB and LB depth in the later rounds. I would be surprised if they don’t focus on keeping our own players (Shaq and Phillips) this offseason. Excited to see us winning while BUILDING a contender. All Bills fans should be pumped about the present and the future!

Now go win the division this year! 

• Like (+1) 1

Give me Roby Anderson on a contract similar to what Tyrell Williams got. 
Then hammer the draft with picks in the front four. We need dts and defensive ends next year 

Murphy should be cut

Shaq a free agent 

Jerry getting up there in age

Phillips a free agent. 

1 hour ago, Jerboski said:

Lot of receivers in this draft you didnt mention 

Lamb 

Ruggs 

Kid from Minnesota 

Claypool from ND 

Colin johnson from texas 

Just to name a few more 

Yeah, I could see a Julio esque Trade going down for CeeDee Lamb. He reminds me of a faster DeAndre Hopkins  

the first 50 seconds of this video he shows you everything you want to see in a true #1. His ball skills are transcendent, he is going to catch everything thrown to him.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

The Bills don’t need AJ Green any longer. DE and WR would seem to be our two biggest needs going into next season. Not sure you need to do anything regarding the OL other than additional depth. Need a power RB and LB depth in the later rounds. I would be surprised if they don’t focus on keeping our own players (Shaq and Phillips) this offseason. Excited to see us winning while BUILDING a contender. All Bills fans should be pumped about the present and the future!

Now go win the division this year! 

WR is interesting, as I let the new Cover1 article marinate a bit, the video a few weeks ago with Allen & JK, etc. one reason why I think Zay was shipped out was that he was unable to make the coverage reads and adjust his route and get on the same page as Josh. The WR that we draft (we will draft at least one), will need to not only have speed and other athletic measurables (and some height), he will need to be able to read a D, adjust and know all of his route trees. It may very well be advantageous for us to bring in Green on a 3-ish year deal and a way out in the back-end. It allows us time to groom and develop the WR so when he is ready to hit the field full-time and the learning curve will be a lot shorter and we won't have to depend on him too much while he develops. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

WR is interesting, as I let the new Cover1 article marinate a bit, the video a few weeks ago with Allen & JK, etc. one reason why I think Zay was shipped out was that he was unable to make the coverage reads and adjust his route and get on the same page as Josh. The WR that we draft (we will draft at least one), will need to not only have speed and other athletic measurables (and some height), he will need to be able to read a D, adjust and know all of his route trees. It may very well be advantageous for us to bring in Green on a 3-ish year deal and a way out in the back-end. It allows us time to groom and develop the WR so when he is ready to hit the field full-time and the learning curve will be a lot shorter and we won't have to depend on him too much while he develops. 

I like this thought Reed. This class is deep in WRs. My thought on a playmaker the Bills could use is Jonathan Taylor. Him and Motor could be the Thurman/Kenny Davis combo. Green, Smoke, Beasley, Knox and don't sleep Sweeney. Draft a receiver like a Mims later to learn from Smoke/Green. Taylor would be an immediate impact. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think that DE is our top priority, WR is # 2.

It helps that this upcoming draft is loaded talent at WR. The Bills do not have to use a first round pick on one.

The Bills have another great opportunity this off season to improve the roster even more. Although I believe they will be re-signing most of their own players instead of adding more newcomers.

But, we are still a ways from that, so I'm not as concerned about it. Although it is fun to speculate.

This team is going in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s all about value. A top DE makes Shaq and Murphy expendable. If I had to bet I’d put money on Beane going after a value veteran WR to pair with Brown and a rookie WR, pay for a DE and let Shaq and/ Murphy walk, or sign a pass rushing LBer to replace Alexander when he retires. I have faith. 

Who are we cutting in your scenario?  Foster or McKenzie?

Brown

Beasley

Draft Pick/FA

Foster

McKenzie

Roberts

I like the looks of that WR unit.  I would just bring in one... FA or Draft Pick.

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Who are we cutting in your scenario?  Foster or McKenzie?

Brown

Beasley

Draft Pick/FA

Foster

McKenzie

Roberts

I like the looks of that WR unit.  I would just bring in one... FA or Draft Pick.

As the roster stands Foster and McKenzie can be improved upon and Roberts gets the return spot. Kroft, Lee, and Sweeney aren’t all needed. Plus the bottom of the roster is always churning.... Yeldon, Perry, etc can all be replaced. You upgrade when and where you can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

As the roster stands Foster and McKenzie can be improved upon and Roberts gets the return spot. Kroft, Lee, and Sweeney aren’t all needed. Plus the bottom of the roster is always churning.... Yeldon, Perry, etc can all be replaced. You upgrade when and where you can. 

I just wouldn't.  At least not Foster.  He's way too electrifying in his potential for me to move on from him, especially in a scenario next year where he would be the 4th WR.

McKenzie I could be swayed either way, although as a gadget player/5th WR, he'd be in the position he should be on this team.

I just can't see us investing in more than one WR this offseason with either FA $$$ or a high draft pick.  We run 11 personnel most of the time.  It's not like we're going 4/5 wide with all WR's.   

One WR is needed.  Two is overkill, IMO.

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I just wouldn't.  At least not Foster.  He's way too electrifying in his potential for me to move on from him, especially in a scenario next year where he would be the 4th WR.

McKenzie I could be swayed either way, although as a gadget player/5th WR, he'd be in the position he should be on this team.

I just can't see us investing in more than one WR this offseason with either FA $$$ or a high draft pick.  We run 11 personnel most of the time.  It's not like we're going 4/5 wide with all WR's.   

One WR is needed.  Two is overkill, IMO.

It depends on how this offense evolves. If they add a guy like Shenault then McKenzie is completely expendable as is the extra RB. Out of McK and Foster I’d keep Foster as well. Not only can he be electric, but he has value on special teams as a gunner. If this offense goes more TE centric than I can see keeping 4 TEs, but there are currently 5 TEs and a FB on the payroll. I think one can be dropped for more speed on the field since Allen seems to prefer intermediate passes. We will see how it pans out, but if they continue going with 11 personnel instead of 12 personnel they might drop a TE next season.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I personally think Shenault from Colorado is tailor made for a Daboll offense. Big at 6’ 2” and 220, but moves like a RB. Lined up for Colorado at outside receiver, in the slot, running back and even as a wildcat QB. 

He excels in the intermediate areas, playing like a running back if he gets the ball in space. This is an area where Josh’s game has been steadily improving as well, so I could see those two things aligning. 

I think the answer lies in the draft. You list three draft eligible receivers. Most analysts see this as a big year for receivers, with up to 6 having 1st round round ability and upwards of 12-15 going in the first two rounds.  

I agree. Shenault is probably the greatest playmaker in college football - period. And as you point out he's incredibly versatile. While true that he has missed playing time with nagging injuries it's nothing that puts his career in doubt and it explains why you may be able to land him in the second round when he is top ten material. As a second round pick he would be a colossal steal. Some observers actually speculate third but that's not happening IMO. 

Beane sometimes has a tendency for drafting the most spectacular athlete with the highest ceiling. Shenault fills the bill. Unlike Metcalf there is plenty of tape to back him up.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalover4life said:

Yeah, I could see a Julio esque Trade going down for CeeDee Lamb. He reminds me of a faster DeAndre Hopkins  

the first 50 seconds of this video he shows you everything you want to see in a true #1. His ball skills are transcendent, he is going to catch everything thrown to him.

We’re at the point that we need to pay a lot of our young talent. Sacrificing some picks for a bonafide young superstar like Ceedee Lamb might be worth it 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Don't shoot the messenger here - if there is really going to be a historic influx of WR talent next year, we'll also need to draft another CB or two...

Should always draft a CB/DB

Edited by Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Don't shoot the messenger here - if there is really going to be a historic influx of WR talent next year, we'll also need to draft another CB or two...

One name at CB that I'm sneaky keeping an eye out for is Bryce Hall, from Virginia. 

He was going to be a top 2 or 3 CB this year, but he broke his ankle early this season. If he drops into the second or third round, he's the kind of player McD might not be able to say no to as a value pick.