Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

mykidsdad

23 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I am probably in the minority here, but I do not see the need to spend big $$$ for a free agent WR. We are more than solid with Brown and Beasley, and if Foster returns to and improves on his 2nd half of last season, that's a very good WR core.

This takes the pressure off of paying big for a FA and allow us to go after a top WR in a deep draft. I don't know enough details on any of the college guys, but everyone is saying its deep. If that is so, and there aren't many top options in FA, go the draft route.

I want zero part of this. Wait another year for Foster?? Waiting for Zay’s lightbulb was bad enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He'd be smart to test the free agent market if the Cowboys can't afford to tag him.  Limited FA options at WR's would probably lead to a bidding war for him.  The Bills would pry have to pay at least 20 to 22 million a year for him with 50 million guaranteed and I don't see Beane willing to do that if he wants to keep our defense intact.  I think we target a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

This ^^^

Beane, I don’t think is the type to give any player 50 mil guaranteed on top of a yearly salary outside of a QB,  just resigning/ extending the players we should will eat up the vast majority of our cap space, and that would include ridding ourselves of one TE, and one D lineman...I think we all know who those two will be.

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, Magox said:

Maybe we should trade for Sammy Watkins.   He seems to be tearing it up in KC

him being a decoy (on the bench mostly) is what allows that offense to function!!! Just you wait, he's only had guys like McVay and Reid coaching him. They aren't known for being great offensive minds.

Edited by jeremy2020

Lots of options in the draft. 

I like Justin Jefferson from LSU, Tee Higgins from Clemson and Terry from FSU - WRs that go after the ball with body control and size.  The kind of guys that move the chains and can make contested catches.  The draft isn't full of blazing speed WRs(there are a few), but it is deep with good solid WR prospects.  DaVonte Smith could also be one of those guys who is a solid choice in the 2nd or 3rd round and is pretty good route runner and runner after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This ^^^

Beane, I don’t think is the type to give any player 50 mil guaranteed on top of a yearly salary outside of a QB,  just resigning/ extending the players we should will eat up the vast majority of our cap space, and that would include ridding ourselves of one TE, and one D lineman...I think we all know who those two will be.

Go Bills!!!

He made an offer for Mack, so he’ll pay for edge players as well if the talent/production is there. I doubt he pays big money for a WR though unless it’s high end homegrown talent. I could see him paying a high number for a 1-2 year contract though as there’s flexibility with Allen on a rookie contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not too worried about WR, I think that will be addressed in the draft.  I am concerned about DE/edge.

If it were up to me, i'm re-signing Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson, cutting Trent Murphy and then drafting an EDGE in the 2nd Round.  Making a run at a pass rushing LB to replace Lorax if he retires.

Hughes/Draft Pick

Star/Harry

Oliver/Phillips

Shaq/FA Pass Rushing LB

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He made an offer for Mack, so he’ll pay for edge players as well if the talent/production is there. I doubt he pays big money for a WR though unless it’s high end homegrown talent. I could see him paying a high number for a 1-2 year contract though as there’s flexibility with Allen on a rookie contract. 

We could do something like that, but it’s a numbers game, how do we resign/ extend the players we should and have that much cash left over? As I was saying to resign/ extend the players we should, our cap space is almost gone.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

To further expand on the WR's available in this upcoming draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864432-ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-of-potentially-historic-2020-nfl-draft-class

This list also leaves off the likes of:

Chase Claypool/ ND / 6'5" 228lbs

Tamorrion Terry / FSU / 6'4" 205lbs

Tyler Johnson / Minnesota / 6'2" 200lbs

Collin Johnson / Texas / 6'4" 220lbs

Bryan Edwards / South Carolina / 6'3" 220lbs

There are a bunch of big, fast, and legit NFL caliber prospects @ WR for this upcoming draft. 

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

We could do something like that, but it’s a numbers game, how do we resign/ extend the players we should and have that much cash left over? As I was saying to resign/ extend the players we should, our cap space is almost gone.

Go Bills!!!

It’s all about value. A top DE makes Shaq and Murphy expendable. If I had to bet I’d put money on Beane going after a value veteran WR to pair with Brown and a rookie WR, pay for a DE and let Shaq and/ Murphy walk, or sign a pass rushing LBer to replace Alexander when he retires. I have faith. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

We have some coin wrapped up in Beasley, Brown, and Kroft. Drafting one may be a better option. Cooper is a damn good receiver but the price tag may be too high.

The problem is that the draft is a crap-shoot and that's especially true for WRs.  Moreover, it can easily take 2 or 3 years to develop a NFL WR.  The Bills can't afford to wait that long to get a WR1 if they want to take advantage of Allen's rookie contract.

1 hour ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This is why he might be a bargain.  

I think that AJ Green would be a good target for the Bills.   Because he's older and coming off injury, he should be affordable, and he's always been incredibly sure-handed.  This signing would also allow the Bills to draft and develop a young WR.

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

why? That’s how a majority of teams do it 

^^^

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Because they need at least two in my opinion and you back to square one with a Zay Jones esque rookie performance at the position next year.... it takes time to adjust to the NFL, the Bills are better served with an immediate veteran playmaker considering where the team is at now and where they should be at next year. 

This is exactly my thought.  I wouldn't be opposed to pursuing Cooper but I think Green is a more realistic target.  I would prefer that the Bills not trade for a WR1 but for the right price, it would be better than gambling on the draft.  Fans who think that the Bills don't need one now, simply don't pay attention to the rest of the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s my pick - 

23. Buffalo Bills (9-3) 
Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson
The Bills have helped the second-year development of Josh Allen with veteran wide receivers John Brown (deep threat outside) and Cole Beasley (reliable slot man inside). But they still could a dangerous, all-around playmaker who can be a force in the red zone. At 6-4, 215 pounds, Higgins has posted 40 receptions for 799 yards and 8 TDs in 11 games this season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1