Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

mykidsdad

I hope we do something GREAT this year, but I still have this nagging feeling we’re a playmaker or two away from being a true contender. I think we need to sign as many of our productive players as we can, including Philips. We also need to draft a corner and build some depth, BUT to me I feel our biggest jump can take place if we add a dynamic number one type wide receiver. I’m trying to think about who that can be, and I’m stumped. It looks like there may NOT be a lot of great options this offseason. I’m just not seeing a lot of eye popping talent. 

These are the best WR options that may come available: 

NFL FREE AGENTS

Amari Cooper (Dallas may lock him up)

Robby Anderson (not a true number one)

AJ Green (too old?)

DRAFT

Jerry Jeudy, ALABAMA (1st rounder, probably gone before we pick)

Jalen Reagor, TCU (probably a good chance of grabbing in the 1st)

Antonio Gandy-Golden, LU (2nd or 3rd rounder)

If we are serious about adding a playmaker we may need to think long and hard about trading for someone. I’m convinced we are a playmaker away from having a top 10 Offense/Defense combination. Who might come available? Fuller in Houston maybe? Diggs or Thielen in Minnesota? And would we want to spend the capitol on a deal? Are there any players or scenarios I’m missing?, ether by way of draft or FA or even trade? I feel like we’re coming into all of this cap space without a lot of good options to spend it on.

• Like (+1) 1

I personally think Shenault from Colorado is tailor made for a Daboll offense. Big at 6’ 2” and 220, but moves like a RB. Lined up for Colorado at outside receiver, in the slot, running back and even as a wildcat QB. 

He excels in the intermediate areas, playing like a running back if he gets the ball in space. This is an area where Josh’s game has been steadily improving as well, so I could see those two things aligning. 

I think the answer lies in the draft. You list three draft eligible receivers. Most analysts see this as a big year for receivers, with up to 6 having 1st round round ability and upwards of 12-15 going in the first two rounds.  

• Like (+1) 12

2 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

Is Shenault going to be fast enough?

4.4 speed. Thing about Shenault is he always has niggling injuries. One of my pet peeves and after Watkins I want to steer clear of this.

This is a great year for WR so I’d love to get one with one of our first two picks.

At the moment the guy I’m obsessing over is Brandon Aiyuk-WR Arizona State. Just watch him!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

4.4 speed. Thing about Shenault is he always has niggling injuries. One of my pet peeves and after Watkins I want to steer clear of this.

This is a great year for WR so I’d love to get one with one of our first two picks.

At the moment the guy I’m obsessing over is Brandon Aiyuk-WR Arizona State. Just watch him!

He has had those, I also want to see what our medical staff thinks about it. Is there something that they can do to help him with that? Or is it something he’ll always have limiting him? It sounds like Sammy, but 1) we don’t really know details, and 2) maybe our staff and their ability to somewhat keep injuries limited amongst our players, would benefit him as well. 

7 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Amari Cooper.  he is a free agent after the season.

We can always make a #1 receiver a priority in the 2020 draft.

He'd be smart to test the free agent market if the Cowboys can't afford to tag him.  Limited FA options at WR's would probably lead to a bidding war for him.  The Bills would pry have to pay at least 20 to 22 million a year for him with 50 million guaranteed and I don't see Beane willing to do that if he wants to keep our defense intact.  I think we target a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

He'd be smart to test the free agent market if the Cowboys can't afford to tag him.  Limited FA options at WR's would probably lead to a bidding war for him.  The Bills would pry have to pay at least 20 to 22 million a year for him with 50 million guaranteed and I don't see Beane willing to do that if he wants to keep our defense intact.  I think we target a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

I can definitely see the Patriots going after him especially if Brady and Bellichek return back for one more season.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You make a good point.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Probably too too early to talk free agency and the draft, but FWIW, we have a shot at Cooper, and extend the important players.  That’s it.  Keep this team together.  Drop Star, Kraft, and Murphy, and draft in no particular order TE, RB, and a DT, + Harrison Phillips will be back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We have some coin wrapped up in Beasley, Brown, and Kroft. Drafting one may be a better option. Cooper is a damn good receiver but the price tag may be too high.

I am probably in the minority here, but I do not see the need to spend big $$$ for a free agent WR. We are more than solid with Brown and Beasley, and if Foster returns to and improves on his 2nd half of last season, that's a very good WR core.

This takes the pressure off of paying big for a FA and allow us to go after a top WR in a deep draft. I don't know enough details on any of the college guys, but everyone is saying its deep. If that is so, and there aren't many top options in FA, go the draft route.

• Like (+1) 1