Rumors that the Bills Steelers be flexed to Sunday Night? (update: Flexed to SNF)

Market size is almost silly. LA can’t support one team, much less two. Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Green Bay etc have huge and loyal FANBASES. They travel to and obsessively  watch their teams. That’s where the money is, not in the metro area population. 

My brother in law from Providence was here for Thanksgiving. Huge (and typical) Patriot “fan”. Great guy! He freely admitted that if they didn’t win every year he’d shift his focus. Didn’t even PRETEND to actually be a loyal fan. It was kind of refreshing....for a Patriot fan. 

41 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Nfl would be more inclined to move dallas/la to sunday night and move buffalo/pitt to 4:25.

No team is allowed more than six primetime games unless Week 17 rolls around and that team is the preferred candidate for the SNF flex slot.  Dallas has had three NBC primetime games, two Thursday games (Thanksgiving and next week), and a Monday night game.  Thus, this game is ineligible to be moved.

It's also very likely that FOX protected this game from being moved to SNF.  Those blocks must be submitted to the NFL by week 5 and DAL/LAR is very likely to have been protected by FOX given that it is in the late window of a doubleheader.

In order for BUF/PIT to be moved to 4:25, it must be cross-flexed to FOX as CBS has a singleheader that week and there is a snowball's chance in hell that they would move this to 4:05.  The NFL never cross-flexes "good" games into the 4:25 window unless the doubleheader network has a stinker in there.  DAL/LAR isn't a stinker.

In short, you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I could do without Chris Collinsworth busting our balls all night. Biggest tool in the business. But other than that, I'd be cool with it.

This is probably the best argument for it not being on SNF. However, without Brady on the other side, it might not be too bad...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Sleep in.......more

But......not on Monday! Hurts those who have to be at work early. That’s not me, so I’m good with whatever. I’m just happy when we are doing well. Focus more on other things when we are not. It’s a learned defense mechanism.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Damn! I was going to make the drive and be at work the next day. Hope it stays put! I have no vacation time left.

No problem there....how much do you like your job? 

?

• Haha (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Dirtyd415 said:

This simply is not true, you can’t poll a large enough sample size to accurately gauge those likely to watch, thus one would base the market on demographics and other variables(climate, other professional sports etc). If you’re trying to say that based on demographics GB or Buffalo has a larger market than LA I don’t know what to tell you.  

Marketing departments can only do so much, a lot has to do with the product on the field.  You can’t really market a turd sandwich, which is why Russ Brandon was regarded as a marketing genius...until he played grab ass with the wrong assistant.

This is almost exactly like what I hear incompetent marketing people say as I wonder how they have a job. Anyone can read Wikipedia to get population figures.

Marketing is about determination of those with likelihood to chose your product and reaching them. 

The market size for a nfl  Game is likely viewers, not everyone with a pulse. London has 9 million people so is the idea that is a 9 million person market for the nfl?  No. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Oh i dont know the second and sixth largest markets.

The Cowboys are going to have their 5th primetime game of the year next Thursday against the Bears. Teams are only allowed to be on primetime a maximum of 5 times a year. They can't flex the Cowboys game to Sunday night. I'm tired of seeing the Cowboys in Primetime anyway