49ers vs Ravens

ILBillsfan

3 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

What continues? He’s averaging 211 yards a game. That’s not great. But you go ahead and keep sniffing his jock. 

Hmmmm....interesting.  Keep going.  What other passing stats have forced you to conclude he's "below average".  

Is it his completion %?  His number of TDs? His TD to INT ratio?  His YPA?  His TD ratio?  His passer rating?  He's top 5-6 (for full season starters) in these categories.

Be very specific---I can be convinced by a strong argument!  Have at it.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We'll need to play cover 0 and 8 in the box all day. Have Tre cover Andrews. 

But not on the line. great blocking schemes from Baltimore and Roman.
They ran the heavy and have 3 very decent TEs.

not sure how we domite them up front. San Fran plays/ed stout and well.

Hope Bills are seriously studying the tape.

perhaps we truly need to outscore an opponent next week. Cowboys game says we can do that.

wow this game is the biggest game of the year coming up.

Love it !

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dude you are hilarious, Murphy is playing fine and if we run our nickel they will score 60 points.

Murphy actually plays the edge very well. and he sure will need to keep the ball inside of the tackles to force it to LBs and safeties

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

But not on the line. great blocking schemes from Baltimore and Roman.
They ran the heavy and have 3 very decent TEs.

not sure how we domite them up front. San Fran plays/ed stout and well.

Hope Bills are seriously studying the tape.

perhaps we truly need to outscore an opponent next week. Cowboys game says we can do that.

wow this game is the biggest game of the year coming up.

Love it !

Murphy actually plays the edge very well. and he sure will need to keep the ball inside of the tackles to force it to LBs and safeties

the Murphy hate reminds me of Chris Kelsay , since Murph doesn't get sacks every play then he is obviously no good, lol.

I will admit that this was the first game for either of these teams that I have watched this season. My immediate takeaways are that the 49ers did not look that spectacular, and Jimmy G looked average. Their D did a pretty good job of stopping the run, with the one obvious exception of not being able to stop Jackson. Man, he fooled them time, and time again with play fakes! I lost count of how many tackles their running backs received while not having the ball!

That is something we are going to have to address. If we don't fall into that trap, and we stop the run, I think we have a decent chance to hold the Ravens to the number of points they had today. I think our D backfield can handle their receivers. I know it was raining, but I was surprised that Jackson didn't look more accurate. I'm sure we're going to be 8 point dogs to these guys-- or thereabout. But, I think we have a good shot at them. Singletary should do well against them, and so should Allen. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hmmmm....interesting.  Keep going.  What other passing stats have forced you to conclude he's "below average".  

Is it his completion %?  His number of TDs? His TD to INT ratio?  His YPA?  His TD ratio?  His passer rating?  He's top 5-6 (for full season starters) in these categories.

Be very specific---I can be convinced by a strong argument!  Have at it.

I consider him a below average passer since they had to devise a gimmick offense for him. I would bet that with a full offseason to break it down that next year it won’t be as successful. 3 tight ends and very few passes over 6-10 yards doesn’t seem like long term success to me. But hey, I could be wrong, they are 10-2 and have beaten some good teams. I would argue that teams are catching up to their passing game. His 4 highest yardage total games were the first four games of the season. In his last 8 games he’s had 3 over 200 yards passing and 5 under. 

Edited by Southern Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

might need to ignore it and play lots of zone.

I can't see a spy working, patriots got smashed doing that.

We play a base zone so we will probably stick with that and use a 7 man front instead of our usual 6. Probably due some 8 man fronts too.

You can’t ignore Baltimore’s run game.  If you do that they’ll run over you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Watching this game and seeing bad gap responsibilities by the DE’s over committing to the inside run.  

From

my first days playing DE it was preached your responsibility is the QB and you trust the other guys to stop the RB yet every run Jackson has had the DE is sucking in to the RB and not maintaining their responsibility in the QB.  

Hope our DE’s are watching how not to defend Jackson because when has passed his tendency to be inaccurate has shown up

It’s not an accident that Jackson’s #1 receiver is Andrews, his TE and #3, his other TE Boyle.  He can lob the ball in Andrew’s general direction and Andrews will do whatever it takes to tuck it away.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Southern Bills Fan said:

I consider him a below average passer since they had to devise a gimmick offense for him. I would bet that with a full offseason to break it down that next year it won’t be as successful. 3 tight ends and very few passes over 6-10 yards doesn’t seem like long term success to me. But hey, I could be wrong, they are 10-2 and have beaten some good teams. 

Why would they build a more "YPG" passing game around a QB who cannot be stopped when he is rushing?  That makes no sense as a criticism.  

His average "air yards" per pass is 6.5, 7th in the NFL and more thanAllen and Mahomes.  No one averages more than 8.  His YPA is greater than Allen's.

To put it simply, he's so good at running, they don't need him to pass as often as other teams.  And when he does pass, he's a very good passer.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s not an accident that Jackson’s #1 receiver is Andrews, his TE and #3, his other TE Boyle.  He can lob the ball in Andrew’s general direction and Andrews will do whatever it takes to tuck it away.

Yet he's tied for only 19th for QBs in YAC....

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would they build a more "YPG" passing game around a QB who cannot be stopped when he is rushing?  That makes no sense as a criticism.  

His average "air yards" per pass is 6.5, 7th in the NFL and more thanAllen and Mahomes.  No one averages more than 8.  His YPA is greater than Allen's.

To put it simply, he's so good at running, they don't need him to pass as often as other teams.  And when he does pass, he's a very good passer.

I guess that’s where we disagree. He will eventually get dinged up running so much and he’s not a good enough passer to make up for it if that’s taken away. 

5 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I guess that’s where we disagree. He will eventually get dinged up running so much and he’s not a good enough passer to make up for it if that’s taken away. 

Your only stat isn YPG.  You've given no evidence that he's not a good passer.  I've given you all the evidence to the contrary.  You can "disagree" with all the evidence, I guess...

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Your only stat isn YPG.  You've given no evidence that he's not a good passer.  I've given you all the evidence to the contrary.  You can "disagree" with all the evidence, I guess...

So you’re one of those d bags that thinks they “won” the argument? My opinion is different, he will be done as a starter in 3-4 years. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The “yet” implies that this is somehow contradicting what I said, but I view it as confirmatory

Most other QBs lob the ball to their receivers and get more yards after that than Jackson does.  So the point didn't distinguish him as a guy who did what you said..  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most other QBs lob the ball to their receivers and get more yards after that than Jackson does.  So the point didn't distinguish him as a guy who did what you said..  

The phrase “most other QB” is too vague to debate.  Accurate passing QB don’t lob the ball - they throw with precise placement.  While Jackson is certainly capable of a number of precision passes and will throw accurately into tight windows,  Andrews is a big guy with a top-notch ability to adjust on the ball.  He doesn’t get a lot of YAC, because he has to dive or go up or come back.  The other WR don’t necessarily get a lot of YAC because they’re often tightly covered.  

Bills need to limit explosive plays. Jackson struggled today in the red zone when the field was shorter and everything speeds up a little more. Tucker is a great field goal kicker so he won’t be missing any from inside 50 yards unless weather is atrocious.
Lamar is playing great nobody can deny that. What happens in 3-5 years from now doesn’t matter to next week.

i’m glad Leslie and Sean get a couple extra days to draw up some schemes that maybe Lamar hasn’t seen or they have found some Lamar hasn’t seen yet. 

Baltimore D continually allowed SF to get the edge on running plays. This opened the middle of the field up for passing. 
SF looked good except for Shanahan making a few questionable decisions. 
SF D is really good and they have better D ends than the Bills do. Other than that I think Buffalo is equal or better talent wise on D.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The phrase “most other QB” is too vague to debate.  Accurate passing QB don’t lob the ball - they throw with precise placement.  While Jackson is certainly capable of a number of precision passes and will throw accurately into tight windows,  Andrews is a big guy with a top-notch ability to adjust on the ball.  He doesn’t get a lot of YAC, because he has to dive or go up or come back.  The other WR don’t necessarily get a lot of YAC because they’re often tightly covered.  

19TH in YAC

He doesn't just lob the ball. Of full time starters, he's #3 in 1st down % passing (40.1).  His YPC is top 5.  Despite being 24th in attempts, he is leading the league in TDs.  He is #10 in passes over 40 yards.

To summarize (again), he is a very efficient passer.  He throws downfield (top 5 YPA, only 19th YAC) for a lot of 1st downs and TDs.

That's all far better than "most QBs".