Top 4 passing QB - No winning records

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No the point is the Bills have gone 45 games without one that to mean seems almost impossible to do, unless your coaching philosophy is so out of date......

BTW for those who haven't looked, the Bills are not 45-0 over those 45 games, which seems to be the argument that you don't need to throw for 300 by some posters here..... 

It means jack and it's a low IQ football stat

The Bills have been employing a run first , conservative defensive approach for those last 45 games.. it's kinda hard to throw for 300 yards when you hardly let your QB air It out for all 4 quarters

Allen will have 215 yards in the 3rd quarter of a  game and then they only throw 6 more times the rest of the game.. of course he isn't hitting 300 when that happens

We also have a very conservative coach who wants to run a lot, hates to have timeouts and doesn't try to score at the half and doesn't try to step on the gas when his team is ahead, and a quite conservative offense, especially the first nine games. Those are all factors in passing yards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No the point is the Bills have gone 45 games without one that to mean seems almost impossible to do, unless your coaching philosophy is so out of date......

BTW for those who haven't looked, the Bills are not 45-0 over those 45 games, which seems to be the argument that you don't need to throw for 300 by some posters here..... 

no, but they’re 9-3 this year and that’s all that counts. Redzone efficiency and third down efficiency are far, far more important than whether you simply threw for 300 yards. Did you have to throw 50 times? We’re all your yards between the 20’s? Those are the important factors.

I don't think there's been much of a change. Looking at passing yards without any context has never made any sense. If we look at QB rating all of the top 13 guys are either Matthew Stafford or play for a team that would be in the playoffs it they started today. Only Allen and Brady are outliers, and they play on teams with a top 3 scoring defense. Generally speaking, you need good, efficient production from your QB to win. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And something I really hate about McDermott.

At some point its going to cost them a game if not many. They have been lucky they have played teams with average offense or worse. This isn't Rockpile days football, you need to keep your foot on the gas on offense the whole game. 

Want 300+ yards out of Josh?  That's easy IMO.

Take Tre' White off the field.  He's to blame.

This team is not going to throw it all over when they have the win secured.

Take White off the field and lets have some shootouts.  We may not win them, but for fun.?

Otherwise why bother worrying about stats, this defense has the other teams locked down.  It's not Josh's fault.

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

At some point its going to cost them a game if not many. They have been lucky they have played teams with average offense or worse. This isn't Rockpile days football, you need to keep your foot on the gas on offense the whole game. 

You mean like the Cowboys #1 offense?

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It is another stoopid attempt to pretend that throwing for yards (in this case it is 300 yards) means nothing. 

Thank goodness Brady threw for 326 yds over Watson's 234 yds last night, or the Pats*** might have lost that game...

Oh, wait....

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Or perhaps the 9-3 record indicates that the coaching philosophy is actually ahead of the curve as the league trends back toward defense and running the football. 

It would seem the replay review of pass interference has lead to allowing defense backs to play more again. This is making things tough on some of the leagues perceived great QB’s. I watched it dismantle Tommy Boy last night. His style of QBing is based on the flag football the NFL has been promoting for DB’s. When DB’s are allowed to play he struggles. IMHO

Edited by Lenigmusx
  • Like (+1) 1

Yep throwing the ball is just so boring & terrible to watch.

Yep Baltimore is playing out of their minds & Lamar is still not a "great" passer, but that is not how the league is going.

I just shake my head at the # here who think 300 yards is actually a bad thing (as is an offense in the top third in the NFL) 

I will state it over & over that Josh can easily throw for 300, but this coaching staff just doesn't coach that way and tough to watch.

And when they needed 300 yards vs. NE, Philadelphia & Cleveland, they did not get it.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep throwing the ball is just so boring & terrible to watch.

Yep Baltimore is playing out of their minds & Lamar is still not a "great" passer, but that is not how the league is going.

I just shake my head at the # here who think 300 yards is actually a bad thing (as is an offense in the top third in the NFL) 

I will state it over & over that Josh can easily throw for 300, but this coaching staff just doesn't coach that way and tough to watch.

And when they needed 300 yards vs. NE, Philadelphia & Cleveland, they did not get it.

Quit lying.  No one is saying a 300 yard passing game is bad, just that it does not correlate to winning football games.

You’re reached a new low with that comment.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just noticed this, an anomaly as far as I can recall.  Or does it indicate a shift in the league?

This year, none of the league's top-4 QB for passing yards are playing for teams with winning records. 

Prior to Thurs, Dak/Dallas was the only one (6-5, now 6-6).  After Dak, it's Winston, Ryan and Rivers.

#5 is Goff, with the Rams still 6-5 but overall not looking too promising.

Dallas is the only one of those teams leading the division.  The rest are down in da cellar.

#6-#12 is "money" territory for teams either in the playoffs, or strong contenders with Brady, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Cousins, and Garappolo.

Not sure it means anything, just saw it as interesting.

I have been telling people for years 

The QB with the most passing yards (in a season) has never won a SB that year.  Now the guys 2, 3, and 4 ... that's another story.  

BALANCE. W/o it the road gets tougher 

17 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Buffalo is 24-21 in their last 45 games.

The record of the last 45 300 yard passing games in the NFL is 21-24.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just noticed this, an anomaly as far as I can recall.  Or does it indicate a shift in the league?

This year, none of the league's top-4 QB for passing yards are playing for teams with winning records. 

Prior to Thurs, Dak/Dallas was the only one (6-5, now 6-6).  After Dak, it's Winston, Ryan and Rivers.

#5 is Goff, with the Rams still 6-5 but overall not looking too promising.

Dallas is the only one of those teams leading the division.  The rest are down in da cellar.

#6-#12 is "money" territory for teams either in the playoffs, or strong contenders with Brady, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Cousins, and Garappolo.

Not sure it means anything, just saw it as interesting.

Passing yards is a poor stat to use when evaluating QB performance due to teams passing a ton to catch up when they’re losing.  Passer rating isn’t great either.  Advanced metrics like QBR and DYAR are much better, but not perfect either.  Take a look at week 13 QBR stats:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-week

Incidentally, Allen is 4th.  I only see two QBs that outperformed their counterpart in a loss and in both cases the winning QB was the very next on the list.  Those were the 17th/18th and 19th/20th ranked performances.

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Passing yards is a poor stat to use when evaluating QB performance due to teams passing a ton to catch up when they’re losing.  Passer rating isn’t great either.  Advanced metrics like QBR and DYAR are much better, but not perfect either.  Take a look at week 13 QBR stats:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-week

Incidentally, Allen is 4th.  I only see two QBs that outperformed their counterpart in a loss and in both cases the winning QB was the very next on the list.  Those were the 17th/18th and 19th/20th ranked performances.

Not a huge fan of the QBR stat; however, Allen has steadily improved. For the season, he is ranked 23rd; however, over the last five weeks, he has ranked, 10, 15, 3, 11, and 4

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And something I really hate about McDermott.

We all know you have a visceral dislike of SMs team style/ philosophy. But on the bright side, the team winning  kinda makes your thoughts on SM irrelevant. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Quit lying.  No one is saying a 300 yard passing game is bad, just that it does not correlate to winning football games.

You’re reached a new low with that comment.

Talking about lows?  So now you are going to tell me that passing yards has no correlation to scoring points either?

We've had plenty here excuse 300 yard games as happening when teams need to come back & score points.  Do they do that running the ball?

Please tell me how Miami would have scored 37 points yesterday running the ball?  

I'm done with your stupidity. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

32 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Not a huge fan of the QBR stat; however, Allen has steadily improved. For the season, he is ranked 23rd; however, over the last five weeks, he has ranked, 10, 15, 3, 11, and 4

Yeah, it’s not perfect. But it does correspond nicely with Allen’s improvement this season. He was totally dragging ass earlier in the season.  Up to 23rd from 32nd-ish makes a lot of sense.  If he continues these kinds of performances he’ll be looking very, very good next season both on the field and with his metrics. 

• Like (+1) 1