Top 4 passing QB - No winning records

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I mean, you can argue it’s not good, but I provided the cold hard factual truth. You could argue that career passing attempts are associated with good QB’s because of course it is. You could argue career passing TD’s is also associated with good QB’s as well. But you can NOT argue that career 300 yard games IS NOT correlated with good QB’s and that it is NOT correlated with Super Bowl wins, because the numbers are the numbers.

So did I. See above 

Those advocating for the importance of 300 yard games might want to consider looking at first half stats only, or stats where scores are within X amount between teams.  The biggest potential fly in the 300 yard ointment is the yards teams get in garbage time or when they are forced to only throw when far behind.  Thursday’s game was a good example; Dallas had to throw a lot to try and get back in the game.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Those advocating for the importance of 300 yard games might want to consider looking at first half stats only, or stats where scores are with X amount between teams.  The biggest potential fly in the 300 yard ointment is the yards teams get in garbage time or when they are forced to only throw when far behind.  Thursday’s game was a good example; Dallas had to throw a lot to try and get back in the game.

This is a good point too. teams trailing are throwing.

I also think the bar needs to move from 300 to maybe 350 or 400. 20 years ago, 300 yards might have been the number but now that’s just a number that doesn’t have anything to do with wins and losses. Teams throw the ball more than ever. There are lots and lots of 300 yard games.  

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a good point too. teams trailing are throwing.

I also think the bar needs to move from 300 to maybe 350 or 400. 20 years ago, 300 yards might have been the number but now that’s just a number that doesn’t have anything to do with wins and losses. Teams throw the ball more than ever. There are lots and lots of 300 yard games.  

Not by the Bills there are not......

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not by the Bills there are not......

...and it doesn’t matter. See above, you win 1/2 the games that you pass for 300 and lose the other half. Welcome to 2019 (or 2018) in the NFL. 

If you want something to look for with the Bills they are 11-0 or 11-1 (something like that) when Josh completes 60% of his passes. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and it doesn’t matter. See above, you win 1/2 the games that you pass for 300 and lose the other half. Welcome to 2019 (or 2018) in the NFL. 

If you want something to look for with the Bills they are 11-0 or 11-1 (something like that) when Josh completes 60% of his passes. 

That’s because some 300 yard passers are bums. 

We we can all agree a Brian Hoyer blowout loss 300 yard game is not the same as a Patrick Mahomes 300 yard double digit victory.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And the only reason you care is because you find it more entertaining, correct?

And if Allen threw for 300 yards vs. NE, Philly & Cleveland.....  They are probably 13-0.......?

Someone pointed out vs, Cleveland with they scored a TD that last drive & the last 35 yards in the air he would have thrown for 301 yards.....

Trubisky won a close game Thursday and it was due to him passing for 300 (and the last td drive and his passing accounting for it).

This is a  stupid argument as any one withany brains knows that the best QB's in the NFL all throw for 300 yards + consistently.....

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We we can all agree a Brian Hoyer blowout loss 300 yard game is not the same as a Patrick Mahomes 300 yard double digit victory.

Correct.  Which is why some discount the obsession some have with the Bills having a 300 yard passing day.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We can ABSOLUTELY agree on that. You are making my point. I don’t care if Allen ever passes for 300 yards if he wins. It means ZERO. People that are hung up on 300 yard games need to look at the numbers. Lamar Jackson & Josh Allen are 19-5 on the year. They have combined for 1 300 yard game. They’ve combined for 9 games under 200 yards. It just doesn’t matter. 

I’m only going to ever care about stats that matter in wins and losses.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And if Allen threw for 300 yards vs. NE, Philly & Cleveland.....  They are probably 13-0.......?

Someone pointed out vs, Cleveland with they scored a TD that last drive & the last 35 yards in the air he would have thrown for 301 yards.....

Trubisky won a close game Thursday and it was due to him passing for 300 (and the last td drive and his passing accounting for it).

This is a  stupid argument as any one withany brains knows that the best QB's in the NFL all throw for 300 yards + consistently.....

You did not answer the question.  The question is you want a 300 yard game because to you it’s entertaining.  Correct?

We lost the the Eagles because our D forgot how to play the run.  To the Browns because the D did not stop them where we were up with a few minutes left.  And who knows what happens with the Pats if Allen doesn’t get hurt.

Yiu have an obsession with this for some peculiar reason.

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I’m not trying to be that guy but you are arguing facts with hypotheticals. The actual FACTS show that it doesn’t matter. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You did not answer the question.  The question is you want a 300 yard game because to you it’s entertaining.  Correct?

We lost the the Eagles because our D forgot how to play the run.  To the Browns because the D did not stop them where we were up with a few minutes left.  And who knows what happens with the Pats if Allen doesn’t get hurt.

Yiu have an obsession with this for some peculiar reason.

No my obsession is with the offensive game planning of this team has for the most part and the concern is that until the last 3 games they were not very good on offense and too concerned with only field position & playing for a 17-13 result.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We can ABSOLUTELY agree on that. You are making my point. I don’t care if Allen ever passes for 300 yards if he wins. It means ZERO. People that are hung up on 300 yard games need to look at the numbers. Lamar Jackson & Josh Allen are 19-5 on the year. They have combined for 1 300 yard game. They’ve combined for 9 games under 200 yards. It just doesn’t matter. 

I’m only going to ever care about stats that matter in wins and losses.

And my contention would be that a lot of the all time great QB’s threw for 300 yards every now and then, and also won quite a bit. And that if I watched Josh Allen destroy a defense for 4 Q’s and threw for over 300 yards, that would be pretty cool.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No my obsession is with the offensive game planning of this team has for the most part and the concern is that until the last 3 games they were not very good on offense and too concerned with only field position & playing for a 17-13 result.

Still don’t want to answer the question but that’s OK.

is it OK with you that their record is 9-3?

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

And my contention would be that a lot of the all time great QB’s threw for 300 yards every now and then, and also won quite a bit. And that if I watched Josh Allen destroy a defense for 4 Q’s and threw for over 300 yards, that would be pretty cool.

Oh and I’m fine with that too. I’m not against him throwing for 300 yards by any stretch. I’d rather he throw for 105 like Lamar did today and win than 450 and lose. That’s been my point. If 300 yard passers won 70% of the time I’d probably care a lot more. It would be a good indicator of what it takes to win. 

I think we are actually kind of on the same page.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh and I’m fine with that too. I’m not against him throwing for 300 yards by any stretch. I’d rather he throw for 105 like Lamar did today and win than 450 and lose. That’s been my point. If 300 yard passers won 70% of the time I’d probably care a lot more. It would be a good indicator of what it takes to win. 

I think we are actually kind of on the same page.

I don’t see any real argument against this.

• Thank you (+1) 1