Baylor plays Oklahoma again?!

Virgil

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can even take it a step further for an interesting twist. What if we added a relegation system like European soccer? The teams that play for the conference championships in group of 5 schools get elevated to the power 5 school that they are affiliated with and the bottom 2 teams in those power 5 conferences get relegated to the group of 5 school that they are affiliated with. It will have a similar impact to soccer. There’s never going to be a time that the big money clubs (or programs) in this case will be relegated. It gives teams like Memphis and UCF though an opportunity to play in a conference with an automatic bid instead of 1 bid from 5 conferences. It also takes the Rutgers types teams off the schedule and brings up stronger opponents.

Take it further.

Create a new NCAA football division with just the P5 conferences and teams.

Cap the number of teams allowed per conference (14 for instance).

All out of conference games must be played against another P5 team.

No dipping down to the G5 level, or worse, FCS level, for OOC games.

No independents. They can play with the G5 teams.

The only way for a program to move from the G5 to P5 level is via a conference invite.

This NCAA rule already exists for programs looking to move from division 2 to the FCS.

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

Depends on when you are talking about.

The original whining about expanding from 4 to 8 team playoffs was due to the semi final games being blowouts.

However, nobody could justify how adding even weaker teams to the mix would make the semi final games more competitive.

So the whining has now shifted for an 8 team playoff because it would be more "fair".

Face the reality.

There is no way to make the system "Fair".

Every attempt to "fix the problem" has failed, and only increased the whining and crying.

The problem there is people failing to understand the meaning of the word "playoffs".  Somehow we survive all those blowouts in the first round of the basketball tournament just fine.  And somehow we even survived a blowout in the championship game last year.  Or does that mean we shouldn't have a championship game any more, since you know, Alabama was so embarrassingly outclassed?

Which would be fine with me.  The best system was when bowl games had conference tie-ins and mattered. We got great match-ups and a clear champion virtually every year back then, rather than this absurdly flawed two/four team "playoff" where the opponents are hand picked based on TV ratings.

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The problem there is people failing to understand the meaning of the word "playoffs".  Somehow we survive all those blowouts in the first round of the basketball tournament just fine.  And somehow we even survived a blowout in the championship game last year.  Or does that mean we shouldn't have a championship game any more, since you know, Alabama was so embarrassingly outclassed?

Which would be fine with me.  The best system was when bowl games had conference tie-ins and mattered. We got great match-ups and a clear champion virtually every year back then, rather than this absurdly flawed two/four team "playoff" where the opponents are hand picked based on TV ratings.

I know I keep banging the drum for 8 but that is the easiest way to fix those concerns. Each conference champ, highest ranked group of 5 and 2 wild cards. You can standardize the non-conference and conference schedules to make for an easier “apples-to-apples” comparison.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know I keep banging the drum for 8 but that is the easiest way to fix those concerns. Each conference champ, highest ranked group of 5 and 2 wild cards. You can standardize the non-conference and conference schedules to make for an easier “apples-to-apples” comparison.

I don’t understand how we aren’t at 8 already. The conference championships effectively serve as the first round.

Since the CFB playoff has started, we have not had anything but the top 4 best teams in the country get in. There is no problem to be solved.

Edited by BringBackOrton

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm fine with blowouts.

I rather enjoyed watching Bama stomping ND back in 2013.

But it was those NC blowouts, along with the Boise States not getting a fair shot, that the cries for a CFB playoff became intensified.

Because we needed a playoff to "fix the problem".

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I am fine with going back to the BCS or to the bowl games and polls. Either one works for me.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This playoffs is shaping up pretty easily IMO. LSU, OSU and Clemson are in regardless of next week. They will, at worst, be one loss teams. Their loss, outside of Clemson, would be to a top 10 team in the conference championship game. Those teams have enough dominance across the board so far that they’ve already locked it up. Clemson is the only team that an argument can be made to hold out with a loss but they are going to win by 30. 

The 4th spot is UGA’s with a win. It’s Utah or the OU/Baylor winner otherwise. An OU win propels them into the playoff IMO. I think Utah would get in before Baylor but could be wrong there. Either way, unless it’s Georgia, that Big 12 / Pac 12 team is going to get destroyed. 

I think Clemson is out if they lose.  

On 12/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, Virgil said:

If Georgia wins, you still let LSU in?

How do you justify letting in a team that lost it’s conference championship over a team that won theirs?  

I agree that LSU would be the better overall team, I’m talking on paper and having to appease the masses 

You don't follow College Football do you?   It is pretty simple why LSU would be in, they have beaten Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama & Auburn.  There is not a team in this country that can match that resume.  

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I think Clemson is out if they lose.  

You don't follow College Football do you?   It is pretty simple why LSU would be in, they have beaten Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama & Auburn.  There is not a team in this country that can match that resume.  

Agreed on Clemson being out with a loss.  

If LSU loses, that’s when things get real.  I agree that they should still be a top 4 team based off record and who their loss came against.  

But from other schools perspectives, they didn’t win their conference championship so what‘a the point of those games then?

If I win my conference championship and a major conference, I want in over someone who didn’t.  That’s what’s championships and playoffs are for.  

I would argue that Ohio St, Georgia, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma are the best teams.  Someone’s going to be left out and so are major conference champions  

what do you do when an undefeated team (Clemson) loses the Conference TItle Game to a team with no hope of anything (Virginia)???

have to wait and see, would be quite shocked if Clemson and LSU lost,  actually i would be shocked if their games weren't a joke by halftime

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Agreed on Clemson being out with a loss.  

If LSU loses, that’s when things get real.  I agree that they should still be a top 4 team based off record and who their loss came against.  

But from other schools perspectives, they didn’t win their conference championship so what‘a the point of those games then?

If I win my conference championship and a major conference, I want in over someone who didn’t.  That’s what’s championships and playoffs are for.  

I would argue that Ohio St, Georgia, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma are the best teams.  Someone’s going to be left out and so are major conference champions  

LSU is a lock win or lose. The same goes for OSU. A 1 loss Utah or Oklahoma isn’t jumping those teams with 1 loss. I think the same of Clemson. There is a BIG gap in the committee’s eye between those teams and the Big 12 Winner / Utah. 

53 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

LSU is a lock win or lose. The same goes for OSU. A 1 loss Utah or Oklahoma isn’t jumping those teams with 1 loss. I think the same of Clemson. There is a BIG gap in the committee’s eye between those teams and the Big 12 Winner / Utah. 

sounds good but I will chime in that Oklahoma has a lot of political pull........

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, KD in CA said:

The only way to change it is to expand to 8 teams, have 5 automatic conference champ bids, and some arrangement of one-loss non-champs/ND/non-power 5 fight it out for the last 3.

But you see, if 8, why not 16?

I don't think that the playoffs should be expanded to 8 unless the conference games are eliminated. These are college kids risking serious injuries and the chance to earn millions. At some point, there are too many games.

Jmo.

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

But you see, if 8, why not 16?

I don't think that the playoffs should be expanded to 8 unless the conference games are eliminated. These are college kids risking serious injuries and the chance to earn millions. At some point, there are too many games.

Jmo.

just invite only the undefeated conference champs, and if there is room for maybe 1 more, then have an extra game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.