Baylor plays Oklahoma again?!

Virgil

Baylor and a Oklahoma play again?  That’s weird to me.  So if Baylor wins, do they deserve to be in the top 4?  Oklahoma could say they split.  Also, Baylor now beats a team with 2 losses, almost hurting their resume.  

It’s counter productive.  If they really want the playoffs to determine a final winner, and I believe they are on the right track, they need re-evaluate conference championship games and ensure all conferences have one. 

What happens if Wisconsin beats Ohio St?  Does Wisconsin get in?

LSU/Georgia clearly sends the best SEC to the playoffs and I think should be the 2 seed

If Clemson loses, does the ACC even get represented?  How do you justify putting either in the top 4 if it happens?

Utah could easily lose to Oregon, and then what of that conference?

All of it really begs the question of what’s more important, winning your conference or best records with quality wins?  If it’s just conference win, then you could have the not-best four make it in.  I’m torn on that. 

OR, have the top teams from conferences who don’t have a championship, play each other during that week.  

Championship week should almost be a play-in week for all teams in the top 10 to solidify the 4 that make it 

Edited by Virgil

You know the drill

1) any undefeated team from a big conference or Notre Dame get in

2) a pool of one loss conference champs, or one-loss fatcat teams that didn’t make the conf title game, battles it out by their pull with TV draw, political sway and history 

a one-loss team that lost its conf title game hasn’t been much of a creature to consider because almost all conf title games have been massacres

we are overdue for a major upset in a conf title game

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You know the drill

1) any undefeated team from a big conference or Notre Dame get in

2) a pool of one loss conference champs, or one-loss fatcat teams that didn’t make the conf title game, battles it out by their pull with TV draw, political sway and history 

a one-loss team that lost its conf title game hasn’t been much of a creature to consider because almost all conf title games have been massacres

we are overdue for a major upset in a conf title game

Exactly.  And there is a well defined pecking order for #2.

The only way to change it is to expand to 8 teams, have 5 automatic conference champ bids, and some arrangement of one-loss non-champs/ND/non-power 5 fight it out for the last 3.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Exactly.  And there is a well defined pecking order for #2.

The only way to change it is to expand to 8 teams, have 5 automatic conference champ bids, and some arrangement of one-loss non-champs/ND/non-power 5 fight it out for the last 3.

nobody wants to watch tOSU beat No Illinois 88-0 in the 1 vs 8 game

Can’t even rely on getting decent games between the top 4

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nobody wants to watch tOSU beat No Illinois 88-0 in the 1 vs 8 game

Can’t even rely on getting decent games between the top 4

OSU (and Alabama, etc) beat most of their vastly overmatched opponents 88-0 and people seem to like that just fine.

This playoffs is shaping up pretty easily IMO. LSU, OSU and Clemson are in regardless of next week. They will, at worst, be one loss teams. Their loss, outside of Clemson, would be to a top 10 team in the conference championship game. Those teams have enough dominance across the board so far that they’ve already locked it up. Clemson is the only team that an argument can be made to hold out with a loss but they are going to win by 30. 

The 4th spot is UGA’s with a win. It’s Utah or the OU/Baylor winner otherwise. An OU win propels them into the playoff IMO. I think Utah would get in before Baylor but could be wrong there. Either way, unless it’s Georgia, that Big 12 / Pac 12 team is going to get destroyed. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

OSU (and Alabama, etc) beat most of their vastly overmatched opponents 88-0 and people seem to like that just fine.

It’s too much at four teams, there is rarely a case to even have a third team in the chatter 

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This playoffs is shaping up pretty easily IMO. LSU, OSU and Clemson are in regardless of next week. They will, at worst, be one loss teams. Their loss, outside of Clemson, would be to a top 10 team in the conference championship game. Those teams have enough dominance across the board so far that they’ve already locked it up. Clemson is the only team that an argument can be made to hold out with a loss but they are going to win by 30. 

The 4th spot is UGA’s with a win. It’s Utah or the OU/Baylor winner otherwise. An OU win propels them into the playoff IMO. I think Utah would get in before Baylor but could be wrong there. Either way, unless it’s Georgia, that Big 12 / Pac 12 team is going to get destroyed. 

has a team with the only loss being their Conf. title Game made it ?  LSU should have it wrapped up by halftime

Oklahoma gets the nod with a Big 12 win

not a clue what the smoke filled back room evil cabal would do with the unwanted twins  Baylor or Utah to choose from...

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Baylor and a Oklahoma play again?  That’s weird to me.  So if Baylor wins, do they deserve to be in the top 4?  Oklahoma could say they split.  Also, Baylor now beats a team with 2 losses, almost hurting their resume.  

It’s counter productive.  If they really want the playoffs to determine a final winner, and I believe they are on the right track, they need re-evaluate conference championship games and ensure all conferences have one. 

What happens if Wisconsin beats Ohio St?  Does Wisconsin get in?

LSU/Georgia clearly sends the best SEC to the playoffs and I think should be the 2 seed

If Clemson loses, does the ACC even get represented?  How do you justify putting either in the top 4 if it happens?

Utah could easily lose to Oregon, and then what of that conference?

All of it really begs the question of what’s more important, winning your conference or best records with quality wins?  If it’s just conference win, then you could have the not-best four make it in.  I’m torn on that. 

OR, have the top teams from conferences who don’t have a championship, play each other during that week.  

Championship week should almost be a play-in week for all teams in the top 10 to solidify the 4 that make it 

All this really means is Division One needs a full playoff, just like every other sport.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

All this really means is Division One needs a full playoff, just like every other sport.

I know that we disagree on this (although I’m a proponent of 8 teams). I don’t believe that there are even 4 teams that could win in this year. 4 on my list would be Alabama and they aren’t getting in. There’s no need to drag teams like Navy, Cincinnati and Iowa to the table when they have a 0% chance of running the table for a title. It’s only going to result in more injuries. Give me the 5 conference champs, highest ranked non-power 5 and 2 wildcards. This year it would look something like:

OSU

LSU

Clemson

OU/Baylor

Utah

Memphis

UGA

Bama/OU/Baylor/Auburn/PSU

That’s fair to everyone. It doesn’t devalue the regular season. The entire country is represented. 

I can even take it a step further for an interesting twist. What if we added a relegation system like European soccer? The teams that play for the conference championships in group of 5 schools get elevated to the power 5 school that they are affiliated with and the bottom 2 teams in those power 5 conferences get relegated to the group of 5 school that they are affiliated with. It will have a similar impact to soccer. There’s never going to be a time that the big money clubs (or programs) in this case will be relegated. It gives teams like Memphis and UCF though an opportunity to play in a conference with an automatic bid instead of 1 bid from 5 conferences. It also takes the Rutgers types teams off the schedule and brings up stronger opponents.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If Georgia wins, you still let LSU in?

How do you justify letting in a team that lost it’s conference championship over a team that won theirs?  

I agree that LSU would be the better overall team, I’m talking on paper and having to appease the masses 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know that we disagree on this (although I’m a proponent of 8 teams). I don’t believe that there are even 4 teams that could win in this year. 4 on my list would be Alabama and they aren’t getting in. There’s no need to drag teams like Navy, Cincinnati and Iowa to the table when they have a 0% chance of running the table for a title. It’s only going to result in more injuries. Give me the 5 conference champs, highest ranked non-power 5 and 2 wildcards. This year it would look something like:

OSU

LSU

Clemson

OU/Baylor

Utah

Memphis

UGA

Bama/OU/Baylor/Auburn/PSU

That’s fair to everyone. It doesn’t devalue the regular season. The entire country is represented. 

I can even take it a step further for an interesting twist. What if we added a relegation system like European soccer? The teams that play for the conference championships in group of 5 schools get elevated to the power 5 school that they are affiliated with and the bottom 2 teams in those power 5 conferences get relegated to the group of 5 school that they are affiliated with. It will have a similar impact to soccer. There’s never going to be a time that the big money clubs (or programs) in this case will be relegated. It gives teams like Memphis and UCF though an opportunity to play in a conference with an automatic bid instead of 1 bid from 5 conferences. It also takes the Rutgers types teams off the schedule and brings up stronger opponents.

It wouldn't devalue the season, its no different than every team sport.

It would allow for a good team who had a bad game or two to have a shot.

Its not about Navy deserving a shot but creating Cinderellas and entertainment. These will never win but its fun and makes for a legitimate playoff.

No thanks to soccer style. Eventually the playoffs will be my way and y'all are going to be excited about it :wub: 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Its not about Navy deserving a shot but creating Cinderellas and entertainment. These will never win but its fun and makes for a legitimate playoff.

No thanks to soccer style. Eventually the playoffs will be my way and y'all are going to be excited about it :wub: 

Not necessarily 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It’s not happening. They aren’t going to add the games for injuries or to devalue the regular season. 8 teams allows teams with a bad game or 2 a shot. Alabama may have secured a WC this year. If you get beyond 8 you aren’t talking about teams with a chance to win. Does anyone believe that ND would beat Clemson, Utah, LSU and Ohio State consecutively?!? That’s the kind of thing that we are talking about even at 16 teams. It just isn’t happening. They could maybe win a game but so what. 

57 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not necessarily 

it will, if they went from two to four its only a matter of time before it goes 8 then 16, it might stop there but money reigns so probably 24 like division 2.

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not happening. They aren’t going to add the games for injuries or to devalue the regular season. 8 teams allows teams with a bad game or 2 a shot. Alabama may have secured a WC this year. If you get beyond 8 you aren’t talking about teams with a chance to win. Does anyone believe that ND would beat Clemson, Utah, LSU and Ohio State consecutively?!? That’s the kind of thing that we are talking about even at 16 teams. It just isn’t happening. They could maybe win a game but so what. 

129.png

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Not the first time 2 teams that met in the regular season faced each other in a championship game.

In 2017, UGA lost to Auburn in the regular season, and UGA curb stomped Auburn in the SEC championship game.

The Big 12 has a championship game. That's why Baylor is playing OU again.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

it will, if they went from two to four its only a matter of time before it goes 8 then 16, it might stop there but money reigns so probably 24 like division 2.

I predict you will die some day, should I get all high and mighty over this like I’m a genius?

yout team got whipped again at Auburn, chill and enjoy life

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Depends on when you are talking about.

The original whining about expanding from 4 to 8 team playoffs was due to the semi final games being blowouts.

However, nobody could justify how adding even weaker teams to the mix would make the semi final games more competitive.

So the whining has now shifted for an 8 team playoff because it would be more "fair".

Face the reality.

There is no way to make the system "Fair".

Every attempt to "fix the problem" has failed, and only increased the whining and crying.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.