Bored - Offseason Speculation

Virgil

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I think Von has a voidable final year.  

I’m curious why you don’t think we have room for all those DT’s when they are currently on the roster.  I guess Harrison Phillips returning creates an odd man out?

It all depends on if they think Shaq can keep it going as to whether I’d want them to re-sign him.  I’m personally not sold and think he takes too many plays off.  Murphy just isn’t worth it.  I’d rather draft and sign one.  

Exactly, then we'd have five on the active roster.  Can't see that happening.  Based on what I've read here, believe it's too much dead money to cut Star this off-season, need to keep him at least one more season.

Agree, Shaq does worry me a bit too in having a great year in a contract year.

If they cut Murphy I just worry about bringing in two new DE in the same season though we did bring in 4 new O-lineman and that worked OK.  Reading your list of FA, not many DE on there.

On Miller, voidable by him or the team?

Please sign Derrick Henry.

A punishing back like him in the winter would make this team an absolute nightmare to face.

Henry and Motor would be an awesome, AWESOME backfield.

He could help wear out the defense so Josh doesnt have to when he scrambles.

The only other FA I want is another kicker (is there anybody out there?) linebacker or DE. A big LB that hits hard.

Draft? Just keep drafting lineman on both sides. Get mean *****.

coleman and liuget would be vet minimum or very close to that deals so money saved right there.  Id cut ties with trent murphy and give his cap hit to shaq basically.  keeping that o-line together would be smart I said at the time I wish they had signed spain to a longer term deal at a cheap rate.  Either way lots of money to keep our guys together and add thru the draft and get some solid guys in free agency

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

It was 100% the right call at the time.  

Part of me wants to re-sign him less now on the chance that he chooses when to show up 

Shaq was trending up last season and he's carried that into this season.  He's always played hard in games.  His first couple years were about his work habits off the field.  He seems to have turned that around starting last off season.

10 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Shaq was trending up last season and he's carried that into this season.  He's always played hard in games.  His first couple years were about his work habits off the field.  He seems to have turned that around starting last off season.

He overall reminds me of Marcellus Wiley.  Just enough sacks in bursts to have good final stats, but not a game in and game out influencer.  Gets paid and just kind of exists 

Robie Anderson and Devate Parker are both very interesting FA WR. They both have size and Speed to be #1 Type players, and will probably not cost a ton. They are both 26 years old. Hell sign them Both. A WR core of Beasly, Brown, Anderson, Parker, and Makenzie next year sounds deadly to me. And would cost less then sighing just Copper. 

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Please sign Derrick Henry.

A punishing back like him in the winter would make this team an absolute nightmare to face.

Henry and Motor would be an awesome, AWESOME backfield.

He could help wear out the defense so Josh doesnt have to when he scrambles.

The only other FA I want is another kicker (is there anybody out there?) linebacker or DE. A big LB that hits hard.

Draft? Just keep drafting lineman on both sides. Get mean *****.

If the Titans let him go it's because he'll want a massive contract.  I'd rather spend the money keeping this defense intact, adding a pass rusher, and maybe another offensive weapon for Allen.  Finding a bruising RB in the draft to supplement Singletary makes more sense to me.

7 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Robie Anderson and Devate Parker are both very interesting FA WR. They both have size and Speed to be #1 Type players, and will probably not cost a ton. They are both 26 years old. Hell sign them Both. A WR core of Beasly, Brown, Anderson, Parker, and Makenzie next year sounds deadly to me. And would cost less then sighing just Copper. 

Anderson is interesting to me.  He’s had crap QB’s, but definitely has upside, size, and speed.  

He’s not going to get top 10 money, not even close.  I could see him in the 10-12 mil range. 

On 11/30/2019 at 9:17 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for the info, but I’m going to watch the SF/Ravens game to see how they match up and take a close look at the Ravens.  You know the team will be reviewing this game a good portion of the week.

What part of "Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on. " don't you understand?!?!

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

What part of "Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on. " don't you understand?!?!

Some just can’t help themselves.  They are typically the same that know current events by reading the headlines, not the body 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd love us to go after Shaq Thompson, I think he's terribly miscast in that weird multiple front Carolina has been using. He'd make our trio Milano, Edmunds, and Thompson. He excels in coverage and hes been solid for Carolina otherwise. Knows the system plus we'd have the funds to get him out of Carolina

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Monty98 said:

I'd love us to go after Shaq Thompson, I think he's terribly miscast in that weird multiple front Carolina has been using. He'd make our trio Milano, Edmunds, and Thompson. He excels in coverage and hes been solid for Carolina otherwise. Knows the system plus we'd have the funds to get him out of Carolina

It would make too much sense.  Knows Beane and McD, fits a big need, young and talented.  

• Like (+1) 1

Great job, Virgil.

My only request is that the Pegulas extend both Beane and McDermott...and as much of the coaching staff and front officer as possible.  We are going to lose a couple from the coaching staff and the front office I predict...but I have confidence we have a deep bench in both areas. 

Edited by JoeF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

He overall reminds me of Marcellus Wiley.  Just enough sacks in bursts to have good final stats, but not a game in and game out influencer.  Gets paid and just kind of exists 

Those types of players at any position are players who, in general, wind up being Hall-of-Famers or Wall-of-Famers.  Shaq is a good contributor to have on the team if the money is commensurate with that type of status.  I think it's possible they keep him.  He can take Murphy's money.

Edited by purple haze

26 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Great job, Virgil.

My only request is that the Pegulas extend both Beane and McDermott...and as much of the coaching staff and front officer as possible.  We are going to lose a couple from the coaching staff and the front office I predict...but I have confidence we have a deep bench in both areas. 

If I'm Beane and McD, I don't want to extend until after next year and drive my price up.  You have to bet on yourself.  They are each on 5 year deals.  If this season goes like we think, they have another solid offseason and growth while the Pats are on decline, they could be getting millions more a year

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If I'm Beane and McD, I don't want to extend until after next year and drive my price up.  You have to bet on yourself.  They are each on 5 year deals.  If this season goes like we think, they have another solid offseason and growth while the Pats are on decline, they could be getting millions more a year

There's no cap to deal with here...I am confident the Pegulas will not quiver over this and make them among the highest paid in their roles in the league with some head room to grow the numbers during the term of the deals. 

Terry built his oil organization by retaining and empowering great talent.  He will likely do the same here.  We are talking about an asset that is now worth over $2 Billion and the two people who are in charge of that asset.  He won't skimp.

12 minutes ago, JoeF said:

There's no cap to deal with here...I am confident the Pegulas will not quiver over this and make them among the highest paid in their roles in the league with some head room to grow the numbers during the term of the deals. 

Terry built his oil organization by retaining and empowering great talent.  He will likely do the same here.  We are talking about an asset that is now worth over $2 Billion and the two people who are in charge of that asset.  He won't skimp.

You're misunderstanding me.  It's McD and Beane who probably won't want to extend early.  They want as much of Terry's money as they can get.  If they bet on themselves and do good things next year too, they'll get more of it.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:26 PM, Virgil said:

I'll be honest, Bills are 9-3, don't play tomorrow, and I'm not dreading the rest of the season.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with myself right now.  So, I'm going to look at the current FA class, mock drafts, and our salary cap to have some fun.  Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on.

Salary Cap Space: 91 Million (26 mil in rollover, 1 mil in dead cap (Wow Beane!))

Draft Position:  25th (I'm giving us a first round win)

Current Starters - Unrestricted FA's: 

Jordan Phillips - Re-sign - 11 mil

Lorax (Retiring)

Kevin Johnson - Re-sign - 5 mil

Shaq Lawson - Let him test the market (probably not re-signed)

Quinton Spain - Re-Sign - 7 mil

Frank Gore - Let Go

Kurt Coleman - Re-Sign - 3 mil

Corey Liuget - Re-Sign - 4.5 mil

Dean Marlowe - Re-Sign - 2 mil

Isiah McKenzie - Re-Sign -  3 mil

Duke Williams - Not enough room on roster, drafting a WR

Total Spent on Re-Signings = 35.5 Mil

Starting Players heading into last year of deal:

Trent Murphy - Cut (Save 7.2 Million.  Dead hit of 1.75 mil)

Ty Yeldon - Cut (Save 1.6 Mil.  Dead 250k)

Ty Nsekhe - Let play out

Jon Feliciano - Let Play Out

Jordan Poyer - Let Play Out

Tre White - Trigger 5th year option

Andre Roberts - Let Play Out

Patrick DiMarco - Let Play Out

Matt Barkley - Let Play Out

Dion Dawkins - Extend - 14 Mil per

Matt Milano - Extend - 8 Mil per

Corey Bojorquez - Let Play Out

Total Spent on Extensions - 13.2 Mil (with the cuts)

***Total Cap Remaining for Additional Free Agents - 42.2 mil

Positions of Interest:

OLB - Lorax is retiring

DE - Murphy and Shaq could be gone

WR - Need a big bodied #1

RB - Backup to Singletary

OLB/MLB - Depth

2020 Free Agents (In order of rank from NFL.com and projected contract from Spodrac)

OLB/Edge - Jadeveon Clowney (20.3 mil) Seahawks have 78 mil in cap space

DE - Yannick Ngakoue (17.4 mil) Jaguars with only 7.5 mil in cap space

OLB/Edge - Bud Dupree

OLB/Edge - Shaq Barrett

WR - AJ Green

OT - Anthony Castonzo

DT - Gerald McCoy

DE - Arik Armstead

DT - DJ Reader

OLB/Edge - Matthew Judon

OLB/Edge - Dante Fowler Jr (10.5 mil)

TE - Austin Hooper

TE - Hunter Henry

DT - Javon Hargrave

WR - Amari Cooper (18.7 mil)

Mock Draft Results

Walter Football - 1st - Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU, 2nd - Yasir Durant, OT, Missouri, 3rd - Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

Draftek - 1st - Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado, 2nd - JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio St, 3rd - Jaylon Johnson, DB, Utah

Phinsider - 1st - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU, 2nd - Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia

Draftsite - 1st - Antonio Golden, WR, Liberty, 2nd - Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon, 3rd - Jabari Zuniga, DE, Florida

The long and short of it, we have the money to go after one major prize FA, but I don't see us spending 15+ mil on anyone that's not our own.  Yannick would be the most realistic option for us if we do decide to go after someone.  Everyone else is going to be mid-tier, which has worked for us thus far.  I'm the most concerned about replacing Lorax, but there are quite a few mid-tier guys out there.  Wide Receiver is another position I think will be focused on, and every mock has us going there with our 1st pick.  Fortunately, it's a deep draft there.

For those wondering tops at those positions:

FA Wide Receivers

AJ Green

Larry Fitzgerald

Emmanuel Sanders

Devin Funchess

Amari Cooper

DeVante Parker

Randall Cobb

Danny Amendola

Travis Benjamin

Bershad Perriman

Robby Anderson

FA OLB

Dante Fowler

Mario Addison

Whitney Mercilus

AJ Klein

Terrell Suggs

Mychal Hendricks

Shaquil Barrett

Bruce Irvin

Shaq Thompson

Projected Possible 1st Round WR (My Choice is to see which one over 6'2 falls to the second and trade up)

Jerry Jeudy, Alabama, 6'1", 4.45

Laviska Shenault Jr, Colorado, 6'2", 4.52

CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma, 6'2" 4.55

Jalen Reagor, TCU, 5'11", 4.35

Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty, 6'4", 4.54

Henry Ruggs 3rd, Alabama, 6', 4.4

Justin Jefferson, LSU, 6'3", 4.5

Tamorrion Terry, Florida State, 6'4", 4.5

Gabriel Davis, UCF, 6'3", 4.5

DeVonta Smith, Alabama, 6'1", 4.45

Tee Higgins, Clemson, 6'4" 4.55

Projected Possible 1st Round OLB

Isaiah Simmons, Clemson *My Choice for our 1st pick)

Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma (OLB/ILB)

Terrell Lewis, Alabama (OLB/ILB)

Jon Greenard, Florida (OLB/DE)

Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

Anfernee Jennings, Alabama (OLB/ILB)

Alright, that's all I got.  This was more for me than everyone else to just look around at what's going on.  It's strange to not have to care that much about this as we hit December.  But I enjoy these kinds of things.  @whatdrought@BuffaloHokie13Get ready for the mock drafts

this is great, agree with edge/OLb in first and but I’d extend Poyer now.   

Salary Cap Space: 91 Million (26 mil in rollover, 1 mil in dead cap (Wow Beane!))

Draft Position:  25th (I'm giving us a first round win)

Current Starters - Unrestricted FA's:  

Jordan Phillips - Re-sign - 11 mil I think $8M will work

Lorax (Retiring)

Kevin Johnson - Re-sign - 5 mil $4M

Shaq Lawson - $7M Re-Sign

Quinton Spain - Let Go

Frank Gore - Retires

Kurt Coleman - Re-Sign - 3 mil $1M or walk

Corey Liuget - Let Walk

Dean Marlowe - Re-Sign- $2M $1M or walk

Isiah McKenzie - Re-Sign -  3 mil

Duke Williams - Re-Sign $1M

Total Spent on Re-Signings = 35.5 Mil $25M

Starting Players heading into last year of deal:

Trent Murphy - Cut (Save 7.2 Million.  Dead hit of 1.75 mil) I’m on the fence, I think they keep him around, and he could be a cut at camp.

Ty Yeldon - Let play out

Ty Nsekhe - Let play out

Jon Feliciano - Let Play Out

Jordan Poyer - Re-Sign adds $8M to his $4.3M contract

Tre White - Plays out 4th year, they reach an agreement for extension that starts his 5th year

Andre Roberts - Let Play Out

Patrick DiMarco - Let Play Out

Matt Barkley - Let Play Out

Dion Dawkins - Extend - 14 Mil per $12M 

Matt Milano - Extend - 8 Mil per

Corey Bojorquez - Let Play Out

Total Spent on Extensions - 13.2M $28M 

***Total Cap Remaining for Additional Free Agents - 42.2 mil $38M (that’s with Murphy still here, 45M if they cut him).

Positions of Interest:

OLB - Lorax is retiring

DE - Murphy and Shaq could be gone

WR - Need a big bodied #1

RB - Backup to Singletary

OLB/MLB - Depth

I believe they’ll look at cost friendly options in free agency to address some of the above listed needs, and the rest through the draft, or even address a need both through the draft and free agency. I could see them sign low-mid cost players at WR, RB, DE, LB and still draft at those same positions in various stages of the draft, along with DB being a position they address in the draft as well. I could particularly see them looking for a CB who plays Safety as well, or Vice versa. 

Overall it’ll be a fun off season because there’s so much hope looking into next season and because they have so many resources available (lots of cap space and some extra draft picks).