Bored - Offseason Speculation

Virgil

43 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I don’t want to derail your thread, Virgil, because It’s a well-thought look-ahead to the offseason.  I can’t tell you just how happy I am that we have meaningful football through December and into January.  

After many years of concerns that late-season wins would ruin our draft position and discussions like the one you are facilitating now, it’s really nice to only want more wins as we prepare for a playoff run. 

Anyway, back to your constructive conversation on the 2020 offseason. 

It’s nice to know we’ll pick in the 20’s or 30’s and that our depth and talent is so strong that I don’t care.  

Usually I'd be wondering how they were going to fill all their holes with so few picks 

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

No need to extend anyone who isn’t a starter or play hardly other than ST snaps.... i.e. Coleman, Marlowe.

Also a FA replacement for Lorax who could be that stand up edge guy, Dline and drop back.... Bud Dupree from Pittsburgh.

I think guys who can rotate in, know the system and the culture, and are under 3 mil are absolutely worth bringing vacuum 

33 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

On the contrary. We're way out in front. 

That’s why I qualified it with “ in great position”. There is still a wildcard race in December, given the Bills schedule and the relatively easier schedule of their competitors. 

4 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Nice list and another thing to keep in mind is what will play into next years FA's and the way teams look at those coming up in 2021

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

Interesting read.  Didn’t know that about Dak and Cooper.  That sucks that they’ll be able to keep both of them without actual deals.  

Was hoping for a shot at Cooper 

By the way even though I dont like the Wallace at 8 million a year I def appreciate you writing all this out Virgil

Bottom line....when you have the key positions of a team nailed down....much easier to fill in the pieces year to year but I LOVE the idea of signing our own and continuity especially the offensive line

I think it will be interesting to see what they do with Spain....if he signs a deal that makes sense for us I think he stays.....especially if the long term plan really is Ford at RT.....we have a OL in Bates that we traded for that is sitting on the not active list every week that I feel is good enough to play somewhere on this line.

The nice thing about all this?  Because we have very few glaring holes and because we have like 90 million in cap space we are in the wonderful position of allowing the draft to come to us this year.......No WR worthy of a 1st round pick where we draft? (I think there will be)......but hey guess what....there is a very under rated pass rusher or corner sitting there at that 1st round pick......same in round 2....and round 3......drafting best talent available instead of drafting to fill a immediate need THAT is how you get those really good players

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Interesting read.  Didn’t know that about Dak and Cooper.  That sucks that they’ll be able to keep both of them without actual deals.  

Was hoping for a shot at Cooper 

Cooper by all accounts is really weird.   not sure I want that guy in my locker room.   character matters.  this isn't fantasy football. 

11 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Dobbins would be a great pick to pair up with Singletary 

if they could snag dobbins in the late 2nd that would be a steal..after his performance in yesterday's Michigan game I think he'll go in the 1st unfortunately

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'll be honest, Bills are 9-3, don't play tomorrow, and I'm not dreading the rest of the season.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with myself right now.  So, I'm going to look at the current FA class, mock drafts, and our salary cap to have some fun.  Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on.

Two thoughts:

- If you're bored already, you are not celebrating the Cowboys win long and hard enough. ;)

- More seriously, this is an exceptionally thoughtful post. Thank you for all the hard and good work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This seems like a post for years past, when the playoffs were a pipe dream by turkey day. I appreciate the effort it probably  took, but this team is in the thick of a wildcard race in great position with winnable games coming up. 

Hey, it's either this great informational post to keep @Virgil busy, or he'd be like this around his house....

Image result for homer simpson freaking out gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good post. It seems smart to cut ties with Murphy and Kroft. I’d like to find a way to keep Lawson if he is willing to take a somewhat reasonable contract. I think he is an ascending player at a position of need, especially if we cut ties with Murphy. I’d also like to extend Poyer as well as I don’t think he was on the OP list to extend. Essentially, we are in a pretty good spot and I want the Bills to spend all big money in house on guys that have produced. Spend the big money on Phillips, White and Milano and then use free agency to fill in the gaps with more low priced 1 and 2 year contracts. For the team culture and chemistry to continue, it would be best to spend on retaining your players and not using big money on guys outside the organization only to have to let some of your key guys go. 

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know but if they get a WR with a high pick I'm glad we've got Brown and Beasley leading that room as vets.

...according to our TBD collegiate ball gang, WR class in the "best in years".....although we seem to be having an epiphany on offense, think I'd still pick WR early on......

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but wish we had picked up that 5th year option on Shaq. He’s come on pretty well, and would have been nice to have for a final year on his rookie year. 

I think we aren’t going to have much of a shot at getting either Clowney or Yannick.

Buffalo is going to be a very attractive destination for free agents now. an up and coming team, excellent facilities (best in the league?), camaraderie and a pretty good chance at a decent contract.

good times. 

• Like (+1) 1

We have the money to go after several actually. Usually when signing big ticket FA's the first year salary is near vet minimum since they give them a big signing bonus...this makes the cap hit typically very low in the first year.

I am sure Beane could sign 2 or 3 big names and figure out how to make the cap work