My Theory on why Bills have a lack of Primetime Games.

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

WRONG, they havent been good and were never predicted to be good. 

Those are the true reasons.

You called it.  6-10 last year, repeated negative press on Allen and squeaking barely into the playoffs and before no playoff spots in 17 years.  That’s it.  Whoever said more next year is right.  9-3 now, and anywhere from 10-6, but more likely 11 or 12 wins and if a first round win will get them a couple of night games.

Honestly, I’m up at 5 am for morning workout, dog, and love my day of work so I’m miserable the next day.  We’ll get some 4 pm games next year as we’re playing 4 of 8 games out West with NFCW, and AFCW next year.

Oh and probably at least one Sunday or MNF Games next year.

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am in the minority, I presume, that I do not care if they get Prime time games or not.  Especially if means they need to travel for a Thursday night game.

Playing Monday nights, Thursday nights and 4:30 on Sunday's isn't that ideal over the course of a season.  I agree with you!

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I used to think it was tied to being a Small Market. I do not believe that anymore as other Small Market teams get On Primetime regularly. 

so then I use to think well it is because they haven’t been good. While that can still somewhat hold water I am starting to think otherwise because I see bad teams on Primetime all the time. 

So my theory is Leverage. And Leverage is something I would not put past the NFL at all.   The Powers to be are clearly upset that we are still playing in an older stadium. Even with New ownership the same thing comes up all the time from around the league about how we need a Stadium solution. It is the topic at every owners meeting and routinely mentioned by The Commish. 

I would not put it past the NFL ONE BIT to be not putting Bills on Primetime (or featured on their network during the talk shows or training camp rotations etc etc) until they have that nice new Shiny Stadium. 

what are you thought?

why you use that,profile photo?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's a big positive having all your games at the same time each week. My boss is a Pats STHer and he's always complaining about the night games. He's kill for a home schedule like the Bills 

I know a lot here have a chip on their shoulders but I love when I can predict a game time consistently, plan around it, etc... and frankly working Monday going to a game and working Tuesday isn’t particularly fun. 

id much rather go Sunday afternoon even if the Boise Idaho isn’t getting to see us on mnf 

It’s no mystery; prime time games come with consistent winning or being a big market team such as Dallas or Chicago. If the Bills win consistently , prime time appearances will follow. As for practicalities, many have pointed out that these games are not the most fan friendly. Sunday 1 pm games are much more convenient to plan around. Prime time games are scheduled for the TV audience, not those attending the game. So while these games mean national relevance and recognition, they aren’t the best things for fans that like to go to the games. For the team, they are a schedule disruption, but an indicator of success and a chance for the players to be in the spotlight. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

So why a primetime game on Thanksgiving against America's team, 2nd game of the day. Can't get much more primetime than that.

For years Ralph didn't want home games on MNF because the fans were embarrassing themselves and the team on national TV.  The fact that we've stunk for most of the last 20 years and haven't had a decent QB were probably the biggest factors and I can't blame the NFL at all.

I think he's talking about prime Time games at home, not on the road.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I used to think it was tied to being a Small Market. I do not believe that anymore as other Small Market teams get On Primetime regularly. 

so then I use to think well it is because they haven’t been good. While that can still somewhat hold water I am starting to think otherwise because I see bad teams on Primetime all the time. 

So my theory is Leverage. And Leverage is something I would not put past the NFL at all.   The Powers to be are clearly upset that we are still playing in an older stadium. Even with New ownership the same thing comes up all the time from around the league about how we need a Stadium solution. It is the topic at every owners meeting and routinely mentioned by The Commish. 

I would not put it past the NFL ONE BIT to be not putting Bills on Primetime (or featured on their network during the talk shows or training camp rotations etc etc) until they have that nice new Shiny Stadium. 

what are you thought?

I can definitely see it. Does seem like they bring up Bills needi9ng a new stadium a lot. You make be right, or at least that may have something to do with it anyway.

It's all about the QB for franchise's like Buffalo, KC, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Indy. They just don't have the national cache, so the truly casual fans will only be interested if and when the Bills have that guy. You would have to say Allen became a very "interesting" player to many on a big stage Thursday, so that was big if you care about these things.

• Like (+1) 1

It “was” mostly because the Buffalo Bills sucked in most every facet of football ownership and football play, and did billsy stuff for the better part of twenty years, the team “was” not a winning or positive image for the league, and the league had no reason to advertise the organization during prime time, it’s that simple. 

Now that the ownership and coaching is tracking in an obviously positive direction the league will be more inclined to advertise the team. 

Its all image with the league, we now have a real QB, backed by a well run organization, and..., wait..., it’s coming, we are winning, and as we all know, winning fixes everything. 

That is all,

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This just seems to support my theory. It doesn't matter how good the team is. They're not trying to give any team particularly easy schedules (that's really not possible in the NFL).

It's just about star players.

If thry hey wanted to hype the browns thry would have flipped the schedule around and allowed the, to start out something like 8-2 or 7-3 before playing their tough games.

One of thee reasons given was that Ralph hated Primetime games because  it did  not suit the market. Sunday  night or Monday night meant longer commute for folks in Canada and Rochester late in the night and then they would prefer to not attend.    Since the Bills have a sizeable Season ticket  holders  from those two regions, it was  not considered a good risk to take,

That is why most of our Primetime games have been on the road,

Now the Pegulas may think differently and may push for additional Primetime games next year especially some at Home

Edited by ganesh

I think the lack of prime time games is because nobody in general really cares about Buffalo.  We've been bad to mediocre for 20 years, with most of that time having a coach with no future in the NFL (Rex had past recognition and was a blow hard), as well as a QB with no real future in the NFL.  Things are starting to change now and i think next year we get multiple prime time games.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the lack of prime time games is because nobody in general really cares about Buffalo.  We've been bad to mediocre for 20 years, with most of that time having a coach with no future in the NFL (Rex had past recognition and was a blow hard), as well as a QB with no real future in the NFL.  Things are starting to change now and i think next year we get multiple prime time games.  

This is all that really needs to be said on the matter.

Truth be told, I don't want to be one of those teams that has to do this kind of thing (change game time every few weeks) while they are still working everything out.  Keep us at 1 or 4 or whatever on Sundays until we are the team we need to be and not the "hot take" of the week.

Edited by The Wiz

It’s ratings, simple as that. Will the teams playing draw viewers to satisfy the network and advertisers paying? Buffalo being in a smaller media market doesn’t help but star players, interesting story lines, and/or a relevant winning team can offset some of that.

With the Bills success on the field and their draw on Thanksgiving, they’ll absolutely get a look next year on prime time.

Edited by eanyills

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

and yet the ONLY TEAM ever mentioned at the Owners meetings about their Stadium is the Buffalo Bills 

so tell me how all those teams like Mia, Tenn etc etc were projected to be good 

They got 1 game.  We had Thanksgiving & week 16 national game on NFL network.  

The reason is we won 6 games last year & Vegas had us projected to be under .500 this year.  The majority of network people looked at predictions that the Bills would be no good.  In addition, a lot of our games featured lousy opponents.  Nobody was about to put games like Bills/Miami or Cincinnati on in primetime.  

• Like (+1) 3