My Theory on why Bills have a lack of Primetime Games.

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

It’s ratings, simple as that. Will the teams playing draw viewers to satisfy the network and advertisers paying? Buffalo being in a smaller media market doesn’t help but star players, interesting story lines, and/or a relevant winning team can offset some of that.

With the Bills success on the field and their draw on Thanksgiving, they’ll absolutely get a look next year on prime time.

But I expect those primetime games to be still on the road. 

If the Bills continue to put eyeballs on the TV like we did Thursday, they will certainly get prime time games next year.

Yeah, a new stadium would benefit the NFL, so does keeping TV revenue up.  Puts lots-o-cash in every owners pocket for doing nothing - over 270 million per team which is about 90 million more than the cap....  Must be nice to basically pay all your expenses before a single ticket or t-shirt is sold.

Be careful what you wish for.....probably end up with a Sunday or  Monday night game...in New England....  NFL can’t help itself.

13 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am in the minority, I presume, that I do not care if they get Prime time games or not.  Especially if means they need to travel for a Thursday night game.

+ 1
It generally (not always) gives the Bills a competitive advantage to have a full week of preparation for each game of the season.  Of course, there will be times other teams come off a Thursday game and have a few extra days to prepare to face us, but I'm sure the Buffalo coaching staff enjoys counting on having a full week to prepare week-in and week-out.  There's only one prime time game worth being in - the Super Bowl.

My theory rests on the fact that the networks don't want perceived crappy teams in prime time slots as it's all about the ratings.  That's why it's hilarious last year when the 49ers got all those prime time games after Jimmy G went down last year and the Jets got all these prime time games because they were almost everybody's "sleeper" team before the season.

I have not read all the responses but I think that 1) the NFL bends over backwards to give networks whatever schedules they want and 2) it's often a pain in the butt for the team's and their fans.  Nighgames at New Era would be colder, have bigger security challenges  and screw with their fans who must attend work the next day.

Now the number of times recently  the Bills had schedules that featured home games right before Christmas among a schedule backloaded with December and late November games seemed to me like the NFL was trying to send the Pegulas a message.  But then this year's schedule happened and it is about the best it could be from competitive, logistical and ticket selling points of view.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

The schedule is always based on the previous years performance so we get what we deserve. The previous lack of star power factors in as well, A great defense doesn't excite the networks like a great offense does. Even the Pats are looking boring without offense. This Bills team has a chance to do what the Super Bowl team did and that's win the hearts of so many fans across the country that don't have an NFL team that become Bills fans. I live in south Florida with numerous Bills bars and I talk to many people that are decked out in Bills gear and not from Buffalo.

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I used to think it was tied to being a Small Market. I do not believe that anymore as other Small Market teams get On Primetime regularly. 

so then I use to think well it is because they haven’t been good. While that can still somewhat hold water I am starting to think otherwise because I see bad teams on Primetime all the time. 

So my theory is Leverage. And Leverage is something I would not put past the NFL at all.   The Powers to be are clearly upset that we are still playing in an older stadium. Even with New ownership the same thing comes up all the time from around the league about how we need a Stadium solution. It is the topic at every owners meeting and routinely mentioned by The Commish. 

I would not put it past the NFL ONE BIT to be not putting Bills on Primetime (or featured on their network during the talk shows or training camp rotations etc etc) until they have that nice new Shiny Stadium. 

what are you thought?

...has nothing to do with shiny stadium....couple of my buddies were watching a game with UPPER echelon NFL brass at a famed location (who and where don't matter)....they were surprised that the focal point was NOT the game, but rather merchandise sales....I believe those revenues go directly into the NFL coffers.....it is conceivable with Bills' current level of winning and the BillsMafia showing up everywhere, that a prime time game is in the offing for 2020, depending on the opposition......

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

ok maybe the get a Primetime Next year. Would almost guess though it will be on the Road. 

keeping that leverage for the Stadium.  For example would you be happy with SNF in Foxboro (instead of at New Era?)

To be fair, the Bills got the primest slot of the season this year: Thanksgiving in Dallas at 4:30. It’s the most watched regular season game of the year. That makes up for a lot of missed Bills-Jax Thursday nighters.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/30/2019 at 9:15 PM, MAJBobby said:

Because I lost a bet 4 weeks ago. And was free to remove it this week but am keeping it during the win streak like I was asked 

ok its working on teh cheats!

On 11/30/2019 at 9:15 PM, MAJBobby said:

Because I lost a bet 4 weeks ago. And was free to remove it this week but am keeping it during the win streak like I was asked 

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My theory rests on the fact that the networks don't want perceived crappy teams in prime time slots as it's all about the ratings.  That's why it's hilarious last year when the 49ers got all those prime time games after Jimmy G went down last year and the Jets got all these prime time games because they were almost everybody's "sleeper" team before the season.

Don't forget your Cleveland Burnt Siennas