My Theory on why Bills have a lack of Primetime Games.

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

that is the same in ANY out of market game 

No it's not...other markets watch good teams.

The Bills haven't been good...but they'll have a prime-time game next year now that they're good.

I'm sure people in Orlando watch other games on tv.

Edited by JustWinPlease

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

and yet the ONLY TEAM ever mentioned at the Owners meetings about their Stadium is the Buffalo Bills 

Or is it because the buffalo media reports it?

Goodell is a thug and likes trying to push people around...

Buffalo isn't the only city he has pushed into trying to building a stadium through the years

The words he has used about buffalo needing a new stadium to stay "competitive" is BS.. would a new stadium be nice sooner than later? Sure

Forcing the tax payers of WNY to pay for a stadium just because Goodell has power trips and wants it now, lol ok Roger

Edited by Buffalo716

4 straight SB loses, compounded with a 20 years of complete ineptitude as a franchise, throw in our attempt and failure to expand into Canada, Ralph dying and the uncertainty of the Bills staying in Buffalo. Then throw in the lack of talent on the field. I have watched many primetime games this year. Several of which were blowouts, and thought " Well hell Buffalo could have gotten blown out just as easy as these guys." The latest was the Packers getting destroyed by the 49ers and the Ravens embarrassing the Rams. But Our recent history hasn't been that good when we have played primetime games. We lost a bad game to the Jets on Thursday night when Rex was here. and Last year we were offensively inept on offense against the Pats on Monday night. 

Primetime games are all about ratings and advertising dollars. and Frankly we haven't been much of a national interest and rightfully so. The product out of Buffalo has been embarrassing until McDermott and Beane showed up. Now that we have proven our worth to the rest of the league. I look for our national exposure and opportunities to participate in primetime games to go up significantly.

Look at the draw from the Thanksgiving game. Ratings were huge!!  We have young exciting talent in Buffalo. The league wants to make as much money off of that as they can. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think it's a combination of the first two, small market and losing team.  If you're a good team small market is over looked.

Sure bad teams are on primetime, but they were expected to be good i.e. Cleveland.

Like many fans state, and seems I've heard coaches /players state the same, they'd all prefer playing at 1:00 on Sunday.  So if it were leverage, Kraft and Jerry would be screaming for limited primetime games.

I think prime time games are established by how many great match ups can we get so based on who did well the year prior and who made moves to expect a big improvement get the first nod.

After that it becomes OK we're going to end up with some bad teams playing, so what bad teams are still in a large market., they get the next picks.  

The other factor is west coast teams get an extra benefit as it 4:30 games fit their local time frame much better.  Az has four 4:25 start times, though none are the featured game.  However if the Cardiunals had shocked many, would have been very easy to make that game shown in more locations without changing any start times, or swapping out games.

Another thing hurting Buffalo to a lesser degree is weather.  Really don't think the league wants to show a game where the 10 is around 10 degrees, they want games that would appeal to the visiting team attending too.

I'm not counting Thursday night games as primetime, Bengals had one PT game at Pitt on Sunday night.  Tampa Bay had none, well unless you could Sunday morning in London.   So again bad teams AND small markets get limited to none.

Having said all that excluding an 0-4 finish, I do believe the Bills will be on at least one Sunday night and One Monday night game next season, and likely one of them at home.  If they end up 1-5 or better and appear to make some moves off season to improve more, wouldn't shock me if it's three games.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I don't think we need a theory. The networks decide prime time games, don't they? They want to make money. They put games in those slots that they perceive will make them the most money. Simple as that.

12 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

No it's not...other markets watch good teams.

The Bills haven't been good...but they'll have a prime-time game next year now that they're good.

I'm sure people in Orlando watch other games on tv.

nope our Bills Bars are packed 

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I used to think it was tied to being a Small Market. I do not believe that anymore as other Small Market teams get On Primetime regularly. 

so then I use to think well it is because they haven’t been good. While that can still somewhat hold water I am starting to think otherwise because I see bad teams on Primetime all the time. 

So my theory is Leverage. And Leverage is something I would not put past the NFL at all.   The Powers to be are clearly upset that we are still playing in an older stadium. Even with New ownership the same thing comes up all the time from around the league about how we need a Stadium solution. It is the topic at every owners meeting and routinely mentioned by The Commish. 

I would not put it past the NFL ONE BIT to be not putting Bills on Primetime (or featured on their network during the talk shows or training camp rotations etc etc) until they have that nice new Shiny Stadium. 

what are you thought?

I think you might be onto something. I know I have said it before but don't be surprised if they send the Bills to London for a home game next year too. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I thought about that too. To me as I have watched more and more of these nice new stadiums pop up. Those are the teams that get hyped by the Network. And those tend to be the teams Hosting those Primetime Games. 

looking at Monday night football hosts:

saints (X2) - super bowl contender and strong ratings 

Oakland - I guess could be your point, but needed a west coast team and they had lots of storylines too

Jets (x2)- hot pick and biggest market

giants - biggest market 

pitt (x2)- huge national base, expected contender 

San Fran - currently the #1 seed in nfc 

Green Bay - clearly not your point

rams were in the super bowl

seattle- don’t seem to fit

vikings - plenty going for them 

eagles - don’t fit the bill

redskins- don’t fit the bill 

Chargers - I guess to leverage exposure for interest in a host stadium could argued but at this point the premise seems real shaky 

30 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nah.

We're getting more next year.

No one nationally thought the Bills or Josh Allen specifically were any good going into this year. 

That Thanksgiving day game was the highest rated regular season game in 3 years.

Josh Allen is becoming most watch TV. Expect at least one SNF game next year.

1. Market size. All things being equal (and of course they're not), Giants-Bears (I'm discounting the LA market) is a network's dream matchup.

2. Lack of a national following. There's nothing much that separates the Bills from the Steelers or the Packers other than that. These things take time to build (or lose!). The Raiders have finally squandered that advantage. The Packers hold onto theirs, but maybe only as long as Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers have been resilient because they have generally fielded good teams and the fans never had reason to abandon them. The Cowboys are teetering on the brink of losing that national appeal. The Bills got something of a following in the early 1990s (check out how many posters we have here without strong family ties to Buffalo), but two decades without playoffs causes that to dwindle. 

3. Lack of marquee players to hype the game. Of course, that may be changing. Mahomes made the Chiefs a popular national market team; Lamar is doing that for the Ravens; are the Bills next?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

It has nothing to do with it.  The Bills didn't have any marquee players and have been bad for decades.  What is so hard to figure out?  The NFL also doesn't seem to understand how far the Bills fan base goes.  It was the highest viewed game in like 27 years on Thanksgiving.  I honestly think the viewership had more to do with the Cowboys, the comments Jerry Jones said, Jason garrett fighting for his job, etc...... than the Bills.  What they got was a good old butt whooping Bills style.

Alot of players got alot of attention yesterday. Josh, Devin, Ed, etc.....

The Bills will have alot more next year for sure.  

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nah.

We're getting more next year.

No one nationally thought the Bills or Josh Allen specifically were any good going into this year. 

That Thanksgiving day game was the highest rated regular season game in 3 years.

Josh Allen is becoming most watch TV. Expect at least one SNF game next year.

FB_IMG_1575059016226.jpg

I think it's because for the last 20 years this small market franchise has been a non-interesting below average franchise that just stays between 6-10 and 9-7...combine that with usually getting blown out when given a primetime game, and it's a recipe for getting no national respect.

That Allen and the Bills thanksgiving performance got us 2-3 primetime games next year for sure

I sometimes think this. It does seem like they have a tough time setting up the cable cam that runs above the field. Even if Nantz and Romo are in Buffalo, they rarely set it up. They usually need to rent a crane, and hook it up to the field lights. 

They showed them last year on MNF against the Patriots ... anyone remember that snoozefest?

After last Thursday though where they proved  they  have a few exciting young players on the way up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get 3 games next year..

Edited by Aussie Joe

I think they look at the following:

The teams they know will most likely be very good.

The teams who had the highest ratings the prior season.

The teams who, even if they might not be good, COULD be good and are guaranteed to generate a lot of attention.

Then they work with ESPN to talk about those teams as much as possible.

In the 2000's we were a bad team. Then in 07 the NFL gave us a mnf game and the bills blew it, even though to the average NFL fan, it was a great game. In 08, they gave us another game against the Browns and we lost by a missed fg from Lindell. Then in 09 the NFL let us open the season against the Patriots and we lost on a kick return fumble. Then in 15 they put us on mnf with the Pats and we lost. Then in 16 they put us on mnf with Seattle and we lost. Then in 18 they put us on mnf with the Patriots and we lost. I'm starting to see a pattern here....