What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think the basis for what McD and Frazier come up with will stem from Jim Johnson influences. Here’s a tidbit on what Johnson did to contain Vick... Keep in mind that McD and Harbough were on that staff. 

”Johnson had some great game plans over the years. I think you have to start with the NFC title game after the 2004 season. The Falcons came to Lincoln Financial Field as a red-hot offense, putting up 31 points and more than 200 rushing yards in the previous five games. Johnson knew he had to contain quarterback Michael Vick, one of the league's most explosive playmakers. The Eagles also had to limit running back Warrick Dunn, who had run for more than 1,100 yards that season.

Johnson came up with a simple, but brilliant twist. He moved Jevon Kearse from left end to right end and flipped Derrick Burgess to the left side. Vick was a left-handed quarterback and was deadly when he took off running to his left (the right side of the defense). Putting an athlete like Kearse at right end took away Vick's normal advantage. Most defensive ends didn't have the speed or agility to handle Vick. Kearse was nicknamed The Freak for a reason.

The Eagles didn't blitz much in the game, but did use a lot of eight-man fronts. They wanted to keep the Falcons from running. Johnson would have the extra defender come into the box at the last moment so Vick would have less time to examine the defense and know what was going to happen. The Eagles dared Vick to pass, but didn't want him to know what the coverage was going to look like until the last second.

Vick averaged seven runs per game that season. The Eagles limited him to just four. The Eagles sacked Vick four times, with Burgess getting a pair of them. The ends contained Vick's running and Trotter, who returned that season, stuffed the inside run plays. The Falcons finished the game with just 202 total yards and 10 points. Atlanta led the NFL in rushing that year, but only mustered 103 yards against the Eagles. Johnson came up with a great scheme and Kearse, Burgess, and the rest of the players executed it brilliantly.”

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/lawlor-jim-johnson-was-the-mastermind-19025661

Outstanding post, thanks!

I especially like the bolded parts, as it relates to the Bills. Tremaine Edmunds might play the part of the "speedy, agile" defender formerly filled by Kearse.

As far as not wanting the QB to know what the coverage was going to look like until the last second -- the Bills defense is as good at disguising coverages as any team in the league.

Should be a very interesting Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think the basis for what McD and Frazier come up with will stem from Jim Johnson influences. Here’s a tidbit on what Johnson did to contain Vick... Keep in mind that McD and Harbough were on that staff. 

”Johnson had some great game plans over the years. I think you have to start with the NFC title game after the 2004 season. The Falcons came to Lincoln Financial Field as a red-hot offense, putting up 31 points and more than 200 rushing yards in the previous five games. Johnson knew he had to contain quarterback Michael Vick, one of the league's most explosive playmakers. The Eagles also had to limit running back Warrick Dunn, who had run for more than 1,100 yards that season.

Johnson came up with a simple, but brilliant twist. He moved Jevon Kearse from left end to right end and flipped Derrick Burgess to the left side. Vick was a left-handed quarterback and was deadly when he took off running to his left (the right side of the defense). Putting an athlete like Kearse at right end took away Vick's normal advantage. Most defensive ends didn't have the speed or agility to handle Vick. Kearse was nicknamed The Freak for a reason.

The Eagles didn't blitz much in the game, but did use a lot of eight-man fronts. They wanted to keep the Falcons from running. Johnson would have the extra defender come into the box at the last moment so Vick would have less time to examine the defense and know what was going to happen. The Eagles dared Vick to pass, but didn't want him to know what the coverage was going to look like until the last second.

Vick averaged seven runs per game that season. The Eagles limited him to just four. The Eagles sacked Vick four times, with Burgess getting a pair of them. The ends contained Vick's running and Trotter, who returned that season, stuffed the inside run plays. The Falcons finished the game with just 202 total yards and 10 points. Atlanta led the NFL in rushing that year, but only mustered 103 yards against the Eagles. Johnson came up with a great scheme and Kearse, Burgess, and the rest of the players executed it brilliantly.”

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/lawlor-jim-johnson-was-the-mastermind-19025661

Exactly what a few of us have suggested: stack the edges and don't give Jackson a chance to make post-snap reads. It's a solid plan.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Outstanding post, thanks!

I especially like the bolded parts, as it relates to the Bills. Tremaine Edmunds might play the part of the "speedy, agile" defender formerly filled by Kearse.

As far as not wanting the QB to know what the coverage was going to look like until the last second -- the Bills defense is as good at disguising coverages as any team in the league.

Should be a very interesting Sunday. 

I’m not sure that they’ll use Edmunds for that role. They could very well park him on TEs all afternoon and use Poyer or Hyde as spies. Part of what makes this game so interesting is that McD and Frazier have had time to draw some things up. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them crack out some Eagle D with Lorax over the center, or blitz CBs with “contain” assignments on occasion. 

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see if the Bills defer if they win the toss.  I think the Ravens lead the league in first possession TDs and I think it's important for the Bills not to get behind early.   If I were McDermott, I'd want the ball first. 

As long as the defense remains disciplined, they should do fine.

Wentz exploited their over aggressiveness and abandoned responsibilities.  It will be a nightmare if they start chasing Lamar.  

Watch this game. About 45 minutes into the video you see how Clemson adjusts their defensive approach to contain Jackson running the football for the rest of the game. He still gets his passing yards and 3 TD's, but it stymie's the Louisville offense with him not being able to get off rushing the football. Just past the 1hr 2 minute mark Herbstreit gives a quality breakdown about containing him. You have to pound him when you get the chance as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, MTBill said:

I just saw this article.  Didn't see it posted here (but didn't search super hard).  It's from Yardbarker.

Here's what some coaches have said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863553-what-nfl-defenses-must-do-to-try-to-stop-lamar-jackson-and-the-ravens

That kind of scared me, and he's on my team. His ability to quickly recognize and counter defensive schemes is a complete surprise. And it was written before he carved up the Rams.

Edited by RavensFan

23 hours ago, WideNine said:

I could be wrong but I think Wallace has been losing some snap counts with Taron Johnson healthy. Taron was in on 85% of the defensive snaps against the Cowboys, and Kevin Johnson was in on some too.

Wallace is still getting his share of playing time, but Taron getting healthy again is good for this team and gives them a lot of options in the secondary.

That being said, this game will be won or lost in the trenches and the box. Would help if our offense got off to a fast start, but I see McD giving the Ravens offense the ball to start the game even if we win the toss.

Teams seem to always take that first possession and score on us so I am not sure what advantage deferring buys us?

It gives us the chance at scoring at the end of the half and the beginning of the new half.

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

At the mesh point, Lamar needs to get hit every single time.  Be as physical as possible within the rules.  Maybe even take a penalty

Completely agree.   If he wants to ride the back all the way down the LOS, hit him.  I don’t care if he’s obviously handed it off.  He’s a willing runner who needs to be treated as such. 

Drives me crazy that other teams seem to be approaching this idea with kid gloves as we constantly see players ease up and get caught in no man’s land while the run goes for 8 yards and Lamar is standing there untouched.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, Say When... said:

i'm not minimizing Ingram but he's a 30 y/o back that got a decent workload last week, he's on the injury report and regardless of what that means it's late in the season also.

look at his game logs, they have him on a pitch count, consistently 13-16 carries a game (once he hit 19, in a tight win against the Mason led Stillers, probably to run out the clock), he does have a good YPC but that's more because D's are worried about Lamar.

Keep then middle stout and focus on Lamar with the rest, i don't think Ingram is even the secondary component with this game, he's a compliment to be aware about but I don't gameplan for Ingram to be successful.

Ingram is good, but as a Ravens fan, I gotta get a mention in with our other bulldozer running back, Gus, the Bus! edwards who is 238. The usual running load is Ingram at 15-20 carries, and Gus Edwards at 10-15 carries who is also averaging 5 yards a carry. We have started to mix in our rookie RB, Justice Hill, who is a straight speed back (I think he runs a 4.3).

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

At the mesh point, Lamar needs to get hit every single time.  Be as physical as possible within the rules.  Maybe even take a penalty

Watching the All-22, it's obvious that the way to contain him is to hit his as much as possible.  Easier said than done, though.

I'm really worried about their run game.  SF had no idea who was going to run the ball.

29 minutes ago, GG said:

Watching the All-22, it's obvious that the way to contain him is to hit his as much as possible.  Easier said than done, though.

I'm really worried about their run game.  SF had no idea who was going to run the ball.

SF did have 2 starting rookie Linebackers. That probably wasn't ideal.

Defense- get them into 3rd down situations which means limiting big first down gains. I would expect heavy packages and run blitz on early downs.

Offense- get Singletary going early. Use McKenzie and Foster a few times on sweep motion to keep LBs honest. If secondary creeps down on run have Allen hit Brown deep.

On defense, I seriously want to see 7 guys in the box the whole game with an 8th "ghost" spying Jackson on every play. And I mean I still want that guy lurking at the line at the snap to disguise things. I would like to see that rotate between Edmunds and Milano to keep LJ offguard.

Run blitz every play and let Tre, Wallace/Johnson and our fantastic Safety duo handle the coverage.

With the super windy forecast, I think this should be the plan.