What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

8 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

I would never take the ball first if given the opportunity.  Double dipping just has way too many benefits.

Losing by 17 and score at end of half and first possession in third and that lead us slashed.

leading Bir tied ... score at the end of the half and come out and score you can potentially bury a team.

gettung the ball first does nothing for you in regards to what the double dip can do.

never take the ball firat

Exactly.   Why is this concept so lost on so many people?   You play to win the game...not the first quarter.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I hate the idea of deferring and letting the other team's offense take the field.  How many times do we get burned and they drive right down and get touchdown.  Stop deferring dam it!!!

They'll score on the first drive. But we always settle after the first drive so we will make it up and pummel them.

I would argue it starts when the teams run onto the field.  Or, when they arrive for the game and go into the locker room.

It could even be construed as beginning when the Ravens arrive on Saturday afternoon. 

One thing that's pretty likely is it's the beginning. Now, whether it's the beginning of the end or end of the beginning is a debatable point. 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Baltimore deserves our respect because of what they have done so far this year, but let's get real here...................

stop acting like the Bills are the 89 Broncos going up against the 89 Niners in the SB.

The Bills have very good players on both sides of the ball and I can almost guarantee while they respect the Ravens, they ABSOLUTELY have no fear of them whatsoever, as most Bills fans seem to have.

The Bills just need to play their game and let the chips fall where they may. Which means if they have shots at big plays, you take em. You don't worry about long sustained drives if you can take the big play.

Again, the Ravens deserve our respect, not our fear.

I ain’t scurred

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RavensFan said:

That worked against last year's Lamar and last year's Ravens offense, neither of which resembles this year's model. That offense was thrown together almost overnight after Flacco went down, and Lamar was not nearly skilled enough as a passer to make up for its shortcomings. But play seven DBs now, and half of them might end up on IR. They sometimes put 900 pounds of blockers in the backfield with Lamar.

What no team has done consistently is something several of you have mentioned: have your edge guy commit to tacking Lamar on every option. Forget the RB; take your chances that your interior line can control him. You cannot let Lamar have the edge. On pass plays, the TEs are definitely the strength; all three can find the holes in the zone, run good routes, and have good/great hands. They've also been using Ingram more in the passing game recently, which they should have done sooner.

Against the Ravens defense: I don't think you have the edge blockers and speed back that allowed the 49ers to run so well, and running up the middle doesn't work. The pass rush isn't great, with many of the sacks due to coverage by the very strong secondary. Allen will have to make quick decisions and take what's available. They'll probably try to bottle him up with a disciplined pass rush, as they did sucessfully with Watson a couple weeks ago. They will definitely try to confuse him with fake blitzes and last-second alignment changes. After looking like garbage through week 4, they're at least a top 10 unit now.

In principle, this idea is great.

However, I guarantee at some point an official is going to throw an unnecessary roughness flag on whoever keeps doing it.

We're in the age of "protect the Quarterback."  Even though in the Option scenario the QB becomes a runner and the defender should be able to tackle the QB in an almost simultaneous scenario with QB and RB with the ball, I can almost guarantee we'll get 15 yard penalties if that's what we commit to doing.

That said, it's what I'd like to see happen just for the sake of putting a beating on LJ to make him uneasy.  If we committed to doing it constantly and consistently in only the 1st quarter or 1st half and even dealt with 2 or 3 of those roughing penalties, I'd be fine with it if we then backed off in the 2nd half because, after all, Jackson is human and might start seeing ghosts.

4 hours ago, RavensFan said:

That worked against last year's Lamar and last year's Ravens offense, neither of which resembles this year's model. That offense was thrown together almost overnight after Flacco went down, and Lamar was not nearly skilled enough as a passer to make up for its shortcomings. But play seven DBs now, and half of them might end up on IR. They sometimes put 900 pounds of blockers in the backfield with Lamar.

What no team has done consistently is something several of you have mentioned: have your edge guy commit to tacking Lamar on every option. Forget the RB; take your chances that your interior line can control him. You cannot let Lamar have the edge. On pass plays, the TEs are definitely the strength; all three can find the holes in the zone, run good routes, and have good/great hands. They've also been using Ingram more in the passing game recently, which they should have done sooner.

Against the Ravens defense: I don't think you have the edge blockers and speed back that allowed the 49ers to run so well, and running up the middle doesn't work. The pass rush isn't great, with many of the sacks due to coverage by the very strong secondary. Allen will have to make quick decisions and take what's available. They'll probably try to bottle him up with a disciplined pass rush, as they did sucessfully with Watson a couple weeks ago. They will definitely try to confuse him with fake blitzes and last-second alignment changes. After looking like garbage through week 4, they're at least a top 10 unit now.

That's the "problem"...

You can't match up with the Raven's big package with your big package, or Lamar will run circles around you...The Bills need to combat that heavy personnel with speed.  We should have 5-6 linebackers and safeties on the field at all times.  Those guys can guard the perimeter and run around blocks in space...a S would make a 300lb fullback look silly on the edge.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

In principle, this idea is great.

However, I guarantee at some point an official is going to throw an unnecessary roughness flag on whoever keeps doing it.

We're in the age of "protect the Quarterback."  Even though in the Option scenario the QB becomes a runner and the defender should be able to tackle the QB in an almost simultaneous scenario with QB and RB with the ball, I can almost guarantee we'll get 15 yard penalties if that's what we commit to doing.

That said, it's what I'd like to see happen just for the sake of putting a beating on LJ to make him uneasy.  If we committed to doing it constantly and consistently in only the 1st quarter or 1st half and even dealt with 2 or 3 of those roughing penalties, I'd be fine with it if we then backed off in the 2nd half because, after all, Jackson is human and might start seeing ghosts.

They don't have to rough him up; they just have to wrap him up in case he has the ball. And you're right, a QB who's trying to deceive the defense on a handoff should be fair game.

3 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

That's the "problem"...

You can't match up with the Raven's big package with your big package, or Lamar will run circles around you...The Bills need to combat that heavy personnel with speed.  We should have 5-6 linebackers and safeties on the field at all times.  Those guys can guard the perimeter and run around blocks in space...a S would make a 300lb fullback look silly on the edge.

The 305lb fullback you'll see Sunday planted a couple of 49er DBs; he can handle just about any S, no matter how fast. He also catches passes in the flat; I think four Niners jumped him after a catch and were barely able to stop his forward progress. He's good enough that he got a 2 year $7.5 million extension this morning. He also plays DT.

I don't think going lighter everywhere is the way to play against this offense. Last year, yes. Not any more.

Edited by RavensFan

I heard Michael Lombardi give a unique perspective on defending the Ravens on his podcast, GM Shuffle, a good listen, BTW.

He said you have to defend the Ravens offense like you defend a punt return, Lamar Jackson being the punt returner. Every one stay in their lanes, don't get outflanked, break down in space and tackle, other defenders rally to the ball.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, H2o said:

I don't know if this is what we do, but I believe it is what we should do. Since the Ravens are basically running a college style, option type offense we need to run a 30 Stack or 4-4 type of defense in appearance. I know McDermott and Frazier love their zone, but we will have to man up a lot more this week. Instead of a LB, we should have Neal or Coleman in the lineup at all times with another S around the box. The Ravens love to run those multiple TE sets. Having Neal or Coleman out there would give them guys with the covering ability to keep up as well as be able to stick their head in there against the run. Poyer likely needs to be the other S kept in the box on either edge or stacked just behind Edmunds. Kevin Johnson also needs to get the start with him being the better overall defender than Wallace. Murphy also should not see the field much on Sunday as it will be imperative to have containment on the edge against the run, not one of his strong suits. Lawson needs to play 80% of the snaps this week. I'm hoping for a lineup like this:

Hughes, the DT rotation of Liuget/Phillips/Oliver/Star, Lawson on the DL (Lorax filling in @ DE this week for the most part)

Milano, Edmunds, Neal/Coleman, Poyer on the second level

White, Hyde, Johnson playing on the last line.

If we can't stop the run to a certain extent then we will lose this game. The DE's are going to have to be disciplined in setting the edge. You do want to get pressure if possible, but you absolutely CANNOT lose contain on Jackson. You have to force him back inside to the guys playing on the interior and that second level who hopefully play with gap integrity this week while making necessary tackles. Ideally, you contain Jackson in the pocket and force him to beat you throwing the ball. I know he has some gaudy TD numbers overall, but his legs are still the most effective thing he has. Contain the edges, clog the middle, and force him make those reads. He loves throwing the ball in the middle of the field. Force him to make those throws outside of the hashes to the deeper intermediate area. Tre will have to be on Brown all day. Johnson's responsibility will be Snead, Boykin, whoever. Hyde will be playing center field basically. They may try to spread us out if this is effective against their run game, but I wouldn't vary much in personnel or formations outside of Taron Johnson on the field for Coleman or Neal when they go with 3 WR sets. 

Offensively we just have to keep doing what we have been doing for the last 3 weeks or so. Get the run game going, let Josh be Josh, and hopefully Daboll stays in attack mode for 60 minutes. This is the first time in a long time I am really pleased with the way things are going on offense. Time of possession and TO's will again play a large role this week. If we are on the winning side of both of those stats then I believe we will be on the winning side of the final score. Our WR's match up well with their DB's imo and I think Knox could have a big game as his size/athleticism presents a tough matchup for their Safeties/LB's. Watch out for the double moves against Peters. He loves to try and jump routes and I think Daboll/Josh take advantage of that. I see him getting beaten for a couple of big gains this week by Brown or Foster. That was his m.o. in LA and KC. 

I could be wrong but I think Wallace has been losing some snap counts with Taron Johnson healthy. Taron was in on 85% of the defensive snaps against the Cowboys, and Kevin Johnson was in on some too.

Wallace is still getting his share of playing time, but Taron getting healthy again is good for this team and gives them a lot of options in the secondary.

That being said, this game will be won or lost in the trenches and the box. Would help if our offense got off to a fast start, but I see McD giving the Ravens offense the ball to start the game even if we win the toss.

Teams seem to always take that first possession and score on us so I am not sure what advantage deferring buys us?