What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

The gameplan has to start with dictating the pace ..the Ravens like to score fast with deep seam passes to their tight end out of their 21 personnel sets or go deep to Hollywood . we need to stay on the field converting on 3rd down will be crucial. We need to stop the run first and foremost it doesn't appear that any team has really boxed Lamar in yet ..we have two excellent safeties that should be able to limit their verticality ..we need to make Lamar have to stand in the pocket and keep him away from those easy dump off completions and wide open seam shots ...the media is salivating over him but their passing game really isn't very complex it's just excellent disguise and scheming . On offence Josh needs to continue his excellent trajectory and take what's there and not force things and give them short fields 

Edited by bills11

This game I would be most concerned with Bills getting down early like 17-3 or something and then getting out of their offensive gameplan and start having Allen try to do to much. 

If they get way down like over 21 points then they definitely will have to do more but hopefully they can keep Singletary running plays and sustain some drives.  

We have a chance to win this game, but I just don't know why anyone would be confident we will win this game.

Our offense is fine, but we never come out like gangbusters and put up points quickly or in bunches.  And I really do think some of that is the product of execution, but a big product of that is McDermott's approach, which  is generally conservative.

It's our defense that terrifies me.  We're average to below average as a run defense.  Harbaugh's a smart coach.  He's going to run the hell out of Ingram and Lamar.  Ingram, in fact, is the most similar to the RB who gave us the biggest problem this year: Jordan Howard.  And how confident are we that we really bottled Zeke Elliott up on Thanksgiving?  I think the Cowboys just stupidly gave up on the run game too early.

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  I expect to see Edmunds whiff on a few tackles he should have had because that's what he's done multiple times over the last 4 or 5 games.

I don't want to totally slam our defense because our pass defense is fantastic.  But there's a formula on offense for pummelling the Bills and the Ravens have all the necessary ingredients.

And just curious, when was the last time the Bills beat Harbaugh's Ravens?  It feels like we just get crushed every time we play them.

I know that we can win this game, but I'm very much braced for us to get blown out.

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We have a chance to win this game, but I just don't know why anyone would be confident we will win this game.

Our offense is fine, but we never come out like gangbusters and put up points quickly or in bunches.  And I really do think some of that is the product of execution, but a big product of that is McDermott's approach, which  is generally conservative.

It's our defense that terrifies me.  We're average to below average as a run defense.  Harbaugh's a smart coach.  He's going to run the hell out of Ingram and Lamar.  Ingram, in fact, is the most similar to the RB who gave us the biggest problem this year: Jordan Howard.  And how confident are we that we really bottled Zeke Elliott up on Thanksgiving?  I think the Cowboys just stupidly gave up on the run game too early.

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  I expect to see Edmunds whiff on a few tackles he should have had because that's what he's done multiple times over the last 4 or 5 games.

I don't want to totally slam our defense because our pass defense is fantastic.  But there's a formula on offense for pummelling the Bills and the Ravens have all the necessary ingredients.

And just curious, when was the last time the Bills beat Harbaugh's Ravens?  It feels like we just get crushed every time we play them.

I know that we can win this game, but I'm very much braced for us to get blown out.

who are you and what have you done with our transplant?

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  

This. Entirely this.

When I take emotion and bias out of the equation and look at this game from a strictly matchup-based point of view, it doesn't look good for Buffalo.

A middling (at best) run defense against an elite, Roman-schemed running team. And even IF you devote all of the necessary resources to stopping Ingram, Lamar will take it on a keeper and gain 20. 

The only way I see the Bills winning this game is by matching the Ravens score for score and being the last team with the ball as the game ends with a chance for a winning TD or FG.

I simply do not see the Bills stopping the run or keeping points off the board. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this has all the makings of an ugly one for Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

This. Entirely this.

When I take emotion and bias out of the equation and look at this game from a strictly matchup-based point of view, it doesn't look good for Buffalo.

A middling (at best) run defense against an elite, Roman-schemed running team. And even IF you devote all of the necessary resources to stopping Ingram, Lamar will take it on a keeper and gain 20. 

The only way I see the Bills winning this game is by matching the Ravens score for score and being the last team with the ball as the game ends with a chance for a winning TD or FG.

I simply do not see the Bills stopping the run or keeping points off the board. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this has all the makings of an ugly one for Buffalo.

Could argue the opposite.  Were treating them like a option college offense and if any team is disciplined enough to beat that I think its our defense.  For me its really the offense.  I think theyll get 20-25.  Can we get 25-30?  I'm not sure I see us getting their, but if we do then I'm pretty sure the stars have aligned resulting in a Pats loss to the chiefs.

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

This. Entirely this.

Really sucks, but one of the biggest mysteries to me this season has been why every single team hasn't just played Buffalo with a run, Run, RUn, RUN, RUN philosophy...

I mean, maybe this is the week McDermott solves the riddle and we legitimately and consistently stop the run rather than just relying on the other team to abandon it too early.  I hope we do because you can bet the Patriots will have a very run-heavy gameplan if we haven't.

And our problems go back even before the Eagles game, anyway.  The week before when we played Miami our Run D got gashed.

As good as Edmunds has been in the pass D, I think he's a huge liability against the run.

To me, this is why I want to see run blitzes the entire game and just let Lamar try to beat us over the top.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really sucks, but one of the biggest mysteries to me this season has been why every single team hasn't just played Buffalo with a run, Run, RUn, RUN, RUN philosophy...

I mean, maybe this is the week McDermott solves the riddle and we legitimately and consistently stop the run rather than just relying on the other team to abandon it too early.  I hope we do because you can bet the Patriots will have a very run-heavy gameplan if we haven't.

And our problems go back even before the Eagles game, anyway.  The week before when we played Miami our Run D got gashed.

As good as Edmunds has been in the pass D, I think he's a huge liability against the run.

The Cowboys, for instance, could likely have dominated the game against the Bills if they had simply FED ZEKE and stuck to the run. To the Bills great fortune, they did not.

I definitely don't think just ANY team can beat Buffalo by running and running only. The Ravens, though, appear to be one such team. 

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Could argue the opposite.  Were treating them like a option college offense and if any team is disciplined enough to beat that I think its our defense.  For me its really the offense.  I think theyll get 20-25.  Can we get 25-30?  I'm not sure I see us getting their, but if we do then I'm pretty sure the stars have aligned resulting in a Pats loss to the chiefs.

It's not just discipline--which I think you overestimate because we've still seen big chunk runs by RBs as recently as last week with Zeke-- it's about tackling.  The MLB is pretty much THE MOST important cog in run Defense, and if he's not a good tackler, that's a problem. 

Edmunds is a big guy, but he plays small.

He needs to start tackling like the behemoth he is.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Cowboys, for instance, could likely have dominated the game against the Bills if they had simply FED ZEKE and stuck to the run. To the Bills great fortune, they did not.

I definitely don't think just ANY team can beat Buffalo by running and running only. The Ravens, though, appear to be one such team. 

Yes, I was so glad (and pretty confused) when the Cowboys stopped giving the ball to Zeke.

Hopefully this praise from Thursday's game is warranted and McDermott is really hitting his stride as a Head Coach.  Might give our Defense the chance it needs in this game:

https://theathletic.com/1423156/2019/12/03/upon-further-review-ten-likes-and-dislikes-from-week-13-in-the-nfl/

Upon further review: Ten likes and dislikes from Week 13 in the NFL

7. Sean McDermott searching for an edge

I normally don’t address Thursday games in this space, but since we had three on Thanksgiving, and there were some duds on Sunday, I’m making an exception. One of my favorite parts of the Bills’ 26-15 win over the Cowboys was what Sean McDermott did at the end of the first half when Dallas was facing a third-and-3. The Bills showed a heavy blitz look before the snap, which seemed like an odd call. There were only 8 seconds left in the half, and Dallas had the ball at the Buffalo 24. Why risk giving up a touchdown there with a big blitz instead of playing it safe and forcing a field-goal attempt? The Cowboys lined up in empty, but after seeing the blitz look, Dak Prescott motioned Ezekiel Elliott back behind the offensive line and shouted out protection calls. Before the ball was snapped, McDermott called a timeout. CBS’ Tony Romo did a great job of explaining what was happening.

“That was Sean McDermott faking like he was gonna blitz everybody to see what you were gonna do,” Romo said. “Outstanding. Just to see what you were up in. This is really smart, Jim (Nantz). He wanted to look, if he got in this on third down, what’s your plan for it? …Now Sean got a taste for, ‘If I do this in the second half on a blitz, I want to see what you’ve planned as an offense, as a coaching staff during the week.’ Really, really intelligent. He just bought himself one extra play of knowledge for the second half.”

Is it the biggest deal in the world? Of course not. But I love that McDermott, even in that situation, was looking for a way to give his team an edge. That’s good coaching. The Bills schemed up a trick play that had John Brown throwing to Devin Singletary for a 28-yard touchdown. Josh Allen went 19-for-24 for 231 yards and keeps getting better. And rookie Ed Oliver (two sacks) had his best game of the season. The 9-3 Bills have a big one Sunday at home against the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Jackson loves to throw over the middle and the Bills' defense likes to force teams to throw over the middle, where they can create tipped balls and turnovers.  Something's gonna give...

Yes...as good as Jackson is, he can't be everywhere.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

EJ beat the defending Super Bowl champ Ravens. Flacco threw 4 picks.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not just discipline--which I think you overestimate because we've still seen big chunk runs by RBs as recently as last week with Zeke-- it's about tackling.  The MLB is pretty much THE MOST important cog in run Defense, and if he's not a good tackler, that's a problem. 

Edmunds is a big guy, but he plays small.

He needs to start tackling like the behemoth he is.

Yes, I was so glad (and pretty confused) when the Cowboys stopped giving the ball to Zeke.

I get what youre saying but I'm not thinking of the Ravens as a typical run offense.  Yes weve given up big chunk plays using our standard gap assignments but with the Ravens game its much more assignment in the run game.  In this way, sticking your assignment, we may actually be better than against a typical zone rushing attack.  I'm sorta just making this all up so anyone with some knowledge please step in here.  I would be interested to know how weve done versus power type runs versus zone runs.  I know weve been killed on the duo concept all year.

Not too worried about Buffalo's Offense.  I think they will find a way to score 18-21 points.

Ravens play most of the time with multiple TE's to control the LOS and are also targets in the passing game.

The #1 thing is to stop the run (both QB and RB).

I think there are 2 ways to attack their offense.

1) Be aggressive and attack the mesh point where Jackson/Ingram hands the ball off (or keeps it).  Make Jackson make a decision early, then run it down.

2) Only blitz with a CB.  Because of Jackson's speed, I think you attack off the edge with a CB blitz to try and match his speed. (also try and get in quicker).  I do not think interior blitzes will be effective.

I would play 5/2/4 to try and neutralize their running game and live with the passing.

Have 5 down linemen (can mix LBs here too) to try and control the LOS, 2 LBs (one of these potentially a backup CB or Safety to spy Jackson), and 4 DBs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Jackson loves to throw over the middle and the Bills' defense likes to force teams to throw over the middle, where they can create tipped balls and turnovers.  Something's gonna give...

We could see our exceptionally tall MLB shine in this one.  I agree w all of the zone comments.  Can’t turn our back to Jackson.  Gap integrity and shutting down Ingram will be key.  Jackson is going to get his yards; just want to minimize that damage and not let him throw easily.  I think we’re going to see a heavy dose of big nickel this week, too.  Not much Lorax save for obvious passing downs. 

To me Andrews is the guy that makes it work for them.   Maybe Tre sees him on passing downs.  

• Like (+1) 2

Keep Lamar off the field similar to Brady. If he’s not on the field he can’t do anything. Our d is good for one or two stops. We just have to play ball control and come away with points every possession. I know, easier said than done but that imho is our best chance...

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

We could see our exceptionally tall MLB shine in this one.  I agree w all of the zone comments.  Can’t turn our back to Jackson.  Gap integrity and shutting down Ingram will be key.  Jackson is going to get his yards; just want to minimize that damage and not let him throw easily.  I think we’re going to see a heavy dose of big nickel this week, too.  Not much Lorax save for obvious passing downs. 

To me Andrews is the guy that makes it work for them.   Maybe Tre sees him on passing downs.  

IMHO we drafted Edmunds because McBeane hoped he would become a player who could handle Gronk - speed and size.

If Edmunds could handle Andrews, that would be sweet.

I think we might need Tre on Marquise Brown.