What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

On offense, the Bills would be wise to feature more imaginative plays whenever Gore is on the field. Whenever he lines ups, everyone in the stadium knows what the play is: straight up the middle for 1 or 2 yards.

On defense, the Bills have found new life with the blitz packages. Jackson may be a phenomenal QB, but he's still a very young one. Confuse him and show him looks that he's never seen on the field or even on game film before. Move Lorenzo around like a chess piece. Send blitzes from LB's and DB's in ways that would make Frazier's '85 Bears pals proud :)

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but Frank Gore is probably extra valuable this week.  He spent a lot of time in Romans scheme in San Fran.

I hadn't thought of that! 

I think Roman's scheme has evolved with better personnel to run it, but it certainly may be a point that Gore has had a thorough inside look at it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanInCt74 said:

I think our best defense against them will be our offense. Long sustained clock draining drives like against dallas we had a late drive that lasted over 7 mins. Keep there offense off the field and score td's not field goals and i think we have a legit shot to win

exactly. if we constantly go 3 and out with that ravens offense it's gonna be rough 

Edited by Tesla03

19 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

On offense, the Bills would be wise to feature more imaginative plays whenever Gore is on the field. Whenever he lines ups, everyone in the stadium knows what the play is: straight up the middle for 1 or 2 yards.

Uh-oh, patina coming off! 

There's this:

image.thumb.png.1012448bc9e7e7be5535960ca51b71b3.png

That's Gore on the "big 3-0" with the ball headed his way.  Went for 14 yards.

They don't always run Gore straight up the middle, but they do run him between the tackles.  What would you?  He doesn't have the speed to get to the edge.

19 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

On defense, the Bills have found new life with the blitz packages. Jackson may be a phenomenal QB, but he's still a very young one. Confuse him and show him looks that he's never seen on the field or even on game film before. Move Lorenzo around like a chess piece. Send blitzes from LB's and DB's in ways that would make Frazier's '85 Bears pals proud :)

I think Frazier alluded to this when he said it's a fine line between putting in all sorts of special stuff for this game that might confuse the Ravens, vs. making things so complex that they slow our guys down.  Hopefully they find the right balance.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

What concerns me is the biggest weakness I saw in their defense was edge runs.  Suppose the Bills see that and make a big part of their offensive game plan trying to copy that - BUT - Baltimore reviews the tape, sees that, assumes we'll attack there, and makes adjustments to stop it.  We better have a plan B?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

What concerns me is the biggest weakness I saw in their defense was edge runs.  Suppose the Bills see that and make a big part of their offensive game plan trying to copy that - BUT - Baltimore reviews the tape, sees that, assumes we'll attack there, and makes adjustments to stop it.  We better have a plan B?

I think that happens every week on the NFL ..... that is what they coaches big money for

In Jackson's last 8 games, he has rushed the ball 14 or more times 5 times, and averaged 13 rushes per game over that stretch. When he has 14-20 rushes, he is going to accumulate some yards; however, If they can keep him under 5-6 yards per rush (and keep Ingram relatively in check), then I think it will be a close game.

Offensively, I am not as worried.

23 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

"The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard." - Al Davis

Just be smart about it. Can't have him running for first downs and getting another 15 on top of it for late or overly physical hits. I think refs will let most things go, as they are likely to treat him like a runningback(we saw the same with tyrod, and even Allen to an extent). Still hope the coaches are preaching smart physical tackling over brute meathead Burfict tackling. 

Defense - gameplan around limiting their run attack.  CBs are going to have to play really well - its a zone game because man will get you killed with a guy like LJ.  Linemen need to not rush too far upfield - collapse the pocket around him and make him either A - Step up and beat us with arm/get sacked..  or B - fade out towards a sideline thus splitting the team in half and forcing him further back from the LOS.

Offense - Fast paced - this is a game that you need to be able to score fast.  They tend to run the ball a lot to limit the amount of plays/possessions you will get.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson loves to throw over the middle and the Bills' defense likes to force teams to throw over the middle, where they can create tipped balls and turnovers.  Something's gonna give...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1