What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Simply put , the Bills will have to win this one on offense. Long drives, milk the clock and score TDs. Their no huddle has been effective, but the downside is using less clock. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers are able to keep the Ravens in check with their defense. Perhaps the Bills can get a few ideas from that. 

For sure can't wait to watch the 49ers tomorrow... But the Bills no huddle isn't a fast break no huddle. It's designed to give JA 10-15 seconds to read the D and make pre-snap adjustments. They aren't going at a K-Gun pace unless it's 2 minute drill.

Continue to cheat one or the other safety. 7-8 in the box on first down. Bump and run all game long gap zone defense. Force them to play the middle of the field. Line lines up wide to stop edge running. Force them to throw all game. Hace an extra corner ore safety on the field 33% of time to match speed.

spying on qb all game wont work. Strong wide hold the gaps.

• Like (+1) 1

After watching the 49ers game, occurred to me that trying to force the Ravens into passing can only be accomplished by getting a big lead. They just keep coming with that rushing attack. A close game where you are battling for time of possession is not what we want. I'm thinking no huddle right out of the gate and put up pts as fast as possible in the first half. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Rockinon said:

You're right about containing Jackson, and forcing him to throw. But that isn't a bad thing against our defense.  Remember our D excels against the pass. We can lean on our secondary to stop the pass. The #1 objective is closing rushing lanes and keeping Lamar bottled up. Also have to be prepared for the option plays they run. Don't be fooled by the misdirection run plays like we were killed on against the Eagles. Don't get me wrong. This team is dangerous. No one is running the ball better. That has to be shut down first.

Lamar can still hurt teams passing, but his chances diminish against our secondary.

On offense, I'd like to see them keeping the best players on the field. All of the swapping of players and trickery are just asking for false start penalties and such. Let Josh mix in hurry up and continue with the 400+ yard offensive production we have been seeing the past few weeks. Baltimore is best at stopping the run so perhaps the passing percentage should tick up a bit. Nothing too extreme. Still have to run so we give the defense some variety to think about. We want to draw the Ravens into thinking it's going to be a run to help out the passing game. They are vulnerable against the pass. This could finally be Josh's big 300yd game.

I like your post. Thats what we have to do. Its still a longshot.Balt is tied with SF as the best team in football.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, WideNine said:

Make no mistake, this is a very confident team that has been performing at a pretty consistent high-level for longer than our Bills have. I think we are going in the right direction, but I think they have had a bit more runway in regards to fine-tuning their offensive identity and getting the most out of their skill positions. Not conceding anything, just keeping it real and know that the Bills have much bigger test against this team than they had against Dallas. 

I haven't seen them much and I don't know if your technical analysis is correct, but what I've seen makes me think this last paragraph is correct.   The Ravens seem to come at you relentlessly, attacking on both sides of the ball and challenging you to execute offense and defense almost perfectly.   That's the style the Bills play, but with a little less explosiveness.   Like you, I think the Ravens have gotten better at this a little faster than the Bills, which isn't a knock on the Bills.  

I expect an intense game.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I expect a lot of Nickel defense... 

throw a a bunch of guys in the box, Dline moving around and shifting. Collapse the pocket up the middle with a lazy rush around the end for contain. SPY Milano and Edmunds occasionally. I think some corner/FS blitzes will be successful.

Anytime TE Andrews is on the line I’d press him off his route and timing, used with a robber style defense where Poyer or Hyde sit underneath.

My suggestion  is a spy on Lamar. Maybe even both Edmunds  and Milano to contain the outside. Lamar loves running to the outside. Keep contain and shut down Lamar.

Their entire offence is Lamar running, then Ingram then a short pass to a TE. 

It's not that complicated  to me.

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rockinon said:

After watching the 49ers game, occurred to me that trying to force the Ravens into passing can only be accomplished by getting a big lead. They just keep coming with that rushing attack. A close game where you are battling for time of possession is not what we want. I'm thinking no huddle right out of the gate and put up pts as fast as possible in the first half. 

We're screwed then... this just isn't what we do :doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

1. We have to stop the run up the middle on the RPO.

2. DEs have to stay disciplined and not chase the RB or Lamar will keep it and take the edge.

3.  DEs need to go after Lamar and touch him, even if he hands the ball off on the RPO.

4. DBs must win their individual battles.

5. Safeties must be aware of all TEs

6. Interior line and LBs fill their gaps, tackle, and strip the ball.

In the beginning of the SF game, the DEs kept chasing the RB giving Lamar the edge.  They adapted and kept Lamar pretty contained after.  The SF interior line and LBs did a good job bottling up Ingram.  In the Rams game two weeks ago, the Rams couldn’t stop Ingram up the middle, so they got throttled.

7 hours ago, DJB said:

My suggestion  is a spy on Lamar. Maybe even both Edmunds  and Milano to contain the outside. Lamar loves running to the outside. Keep contain and shut down Lamar.

I agree, I think you need Edmunds & Milano to stay in zone/spying on Jackson, one safety deep, man on the outsides, 4 rushers, occasional zone blitzes. Pretty straight forward, it's just about the execution.

I think Buffalo's defense is perfectly constructed to give Jackson a sub-par day... provided that Edmunds shows a comparable leap in development as Allen has shown, or Oliver, or Shaq, or Phillips... he's just gotta turn the corner on his anticipation and timing and feel for it to be at the right place at the right time. 

On 11/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Simply put , the Bills will have to win this one on offense. Long drives, milk the clock and score TDs. Their no huddle has been effective, but the downside is using less clock. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers are able to keep the Ravens in check with their defense. Perhaps the Bills can get a few ideas from that. 

Niners showed today how an effective running game can do just that. As it so happens, our running game is versatile with Singletary, Gore, and Allen each providing a different style of run play that can be used at any time. 

Bills would need to play as good or better than they played on Thanksgiving. We're at home. It could happen.

8 hours ago, DJB said:

Bingo!!

On 11/30/2019 at 1:58 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

On defense, they're friggin good. #4 in defensive DVOA.

On offense, they're friggin good. #1 in offensive DVOA.

I honestly haven't watched them enough to form an opinion.

They're #3 in pass defense DVOA but #24 in rush defense DVOA. So is this a Singletary game? Are they weaker on the interior or on the edges? Are they weaker at CB or Safety? Do we continue with what we're doing and just tell Josh if he sees a path to run, do it but protect yourself? I really hope we don't do a bunch of designed QB runs.

We all know Lamar is the story with the offense, but Mark Ingram is EXACTLY the type of RB we have tons of problems with. Personally I want to see Frazier just dial up TONS of pressure on both run and pass blitzes and go for broke. Put 8 up front and emphasize gap responsibilities and containment on the edges and let the secondary earn their stripes. Lamar and Ingram will undoubtedly make some large chunk plays, but maybe this forces some mistakes, too.

As far as the weather gods, do we really want utterly terrible WNY weather? Doesn't that typically benefit the offense?

We're more than a week away from this game and this game more than the NE game in Foxborough will be our most difficult test.

In the hopes the Bills coaches and players aren’t just passing the roulette gun from Deer Hunter around One Bills Drive I’m looking forward to them just plain lining up and going with “ourzin is better than yourzin.”

...I just don’t want them to play afraid of this team...this Bills team being cautious is maddening.

edit: to go a step further I actually want their mindset to be how they take Baltimore out to the woodshed, to be honest.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

On 11/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, HappyDays said:

I'm not too worried about our offense in this game. It took some time but we found our identity and we have enough talent to create a mismatch somewhere on the field. Feed the ball to Singletary and let Allen do what he does. We'll put up points.

The defense on the other hand I am terrified for. We are built to stop the pass and that won't help in this game. I think we just have to clog the middle of the field and force Jackson to throw to the sidelines. Edmunds is athletic enough to keep him in check as a spy. Just don't let Ingram run all over us and don't give any free space in the middle. That's our only hope of stopping them.

McDermott and Frazier have done a really good job of game planning against QBs so I expect them to limit Jackson more than most.

Basic responsibility football.  De's have to hold contain.  Key force 3rd and long.  Make Lamar pick you apart through the air.  It a ball control game.  Buffalo has to stop Ingram in the middle and Jackson on the boundaries.  McDermott and the coaches getting a few extra day should be a big boost in coming up with the gameplan.

I don't know if this is what we do, but I believe it is what we should do. Since the Ravens are basically running a college style, option type offense we need to run a 30 Stack or 4-4 type of defense in appearance. I know McDermott and Frazier love their zone, but we will have to man up a lot more this week. Instead of a LB, we should have Neal or Coleman in the lineup at all times with another S around the box. The Ravens love to run those multiple TE sets. Having Neal or Coleman out there would give them guys with the covering ability to keep up as well as be able to stick their head in there against the run. Poyer likely needs to be the other S kept in the box on either edge or stacked just behind Edmunds. Kevin Johnson also needs to get the start with him being the better overall defender than Wallace. Murphy also should not see the field much on Sunday as it will be imperative to have containment on the edge against the run, not one of his strong suits. Lawson needs to play 80% of the snaps this week. I'm hoping for a lineup like this:

Hughes, the DT rotation of Liuget/Phillips/Oliver/Star, Lawson on the DL (Lorax filling in @ DE this week for the most part)

Milano, Edmunds, Neal/Coleman, Poyer on the second level

White, Hyde, Johnson playing on the last line.

If we can't stop the run to a certain extent then we will lose this game. The DE's are going to have to be disciplined in setting the edge. You do want to get pressure if possible, but you absolutely CANNOT lose contain on Jackson. You have to force him back inside to the guys playing on the interior and that second level who hopefully play with gap integrity this week while making necessary tackles. Ideally, you contain Jackson in the pocket and force him to beat you throwing the ball. I know he has some gaudy TD numbers overall, but his legs are still the most effective thing he has. Contain the edges, clog the middle, and force him make those reads. He loves throwing the ball in the middle of the field. Force him to make those throws outside of the hashes to the deeper intermediate area. Tre will have to be on Brown all day. Johnson's responsibility will be Snead, Boykin, whoever. Hyde will be playing center field basically. They may try to spread us out if this is effective against their run game, but I wouldn't vary much in personnel or formations outside of Taron Johnson on the field for Coleman or Neal when they go with 3 WR sets. 

Offensively we just have to keep doing what we have been doing for the last 3 weeks or so. Get the run game going, let Josh be Josh, and hopefully Daboll stays in attack mode for 60 minutes. This is the first time in a long time I am really pleased with the way things are going on offense. Time of possession and TO's will again play a large role this week. If we are on the winning side of both of those stats then I believe we will be on the winning side of the final score. Our WR's match up well with their DB's imo and I think Knox could have a big game as his size/athleticism presents a tough matchup for their Safeties/LB's. Watch out for the double moves against Peters. He loves to try and jump routes and I think Daboll/Josh take advantage of that. I see him getting beaten for a couple of big gains this week by Brown or Foster. That was his m.o. in LA and KC. 

• Thank you (+1) 2