What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

On defense, they're friggin good. #4 in defensive DVOA.

On offense, they're friggin good. #1 in offensive DVOA.

I honestly haven't watched them enough to form an opinion.

They're #3 in pass defense DVOA but #24 in rush defense DVOA. So is this a Singletary game? Are they weaker on the interior or on the edges? Are they weaker at CB or Safety? Do we continue with what we're doing and just tell Josh if he sees a path to run, do it but protect yourself? I really hope we don't do a bunch of designed QB runs.

We all know Lamar is the story with the offense, but Mark Ingram is EXACTLY the type of RB we have tons of problems with. Personally I want to see Frazier just dial up TONS of pressure on both run and pass blitzes and go for broke. Put 8 up front and emphasize gap responsibilities and containment on the edges and let the secondary earn their stripes. Lamar and Ingram will undoubtedly make some large chunk plays, but maybe this forces some mistakes, too.

As far as the weather gods, do we really want utterly terrible WNY weather? Doesn't that typically benefit the offense?

We're more than a week away from this game and this game more than the NE game in Foxborough will be our most difficult test.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

On defense, they're friggin good. #4 in defensive DVOA.

On offense, they're friggin good. #1 in offensive DVOA.

I honestly haven't watched them enough to form an opinion.

They're #3 in pass defense DVOA but #24 in rush defense DVOA. So is this a Singletary game? Are they weaker on the interior or on the edges? Are they weaker at CB or Safety? Do we continue with what we're doing and just tell Josh if he sees a path to run, do it but protect yourself? I really hope we don't do a bunch of designed QB runs.

We all know Lamar is the story with the offense, but Mark Ingram is EXACTLY the type of RB we have tons of problems with. Personally I want to see Frazier just dial up TONS of pressure on both run and pass blitzes and go for broke. Put 8 up front and emphasize gap responsibilities and containment on the edges and let the secondary earn their stripes. Lamar and Ingram will undoubtedly make some large chunk plays, but maybe this forces some mistakes, too.

As far as the weather gods, do we really want utterly terrible WNY weather? Doesn't that typically benefit the offense?

We're more than a week away from this game and this game more than the NE game in Foxborough will be our most difficult test.

I think if we blitz as much as we have these last couple weeks, Lamar may rush for 200 yards. Lanes that Dak, Baker, and Allen couldn’t or wouldn’t use would be easy pickings for LJ and when you send 5 or 6, you generally don’t have a bunch of guys ready to make a play within 5 yards of the LOS.

I think we drop 7 consistently with Edmunds as a spy and make Lamar beat us with time. Stop Ingram on first down and get him in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

I think if we blitz as much as we have these last couple weeks, Lamar may rush for 200 yards. Lanes that Dak, Baker, and Allen couldn’t or wouldn’t use would be easy pickings for LJ and when you send 5 or 6, you generally don’t have a bunch of guys ready to make a play within 5 yards of the LOS.

I think we drop 7 consistently with Edmunds as a spy and make Lamar beat us with time. Stop Ingram on first down and get him in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Have other teams been blitzing him a bunch?

There's a quote from a pilot in WWII that articulates exactly how I feel the Bills should approach this game:

I had deliberately decided that any deficiency the Kittyhawk had was offset by aggression. And I'd done a little bit of boxing – I beat much better opponents simply by going for [them]. And I decided to use that in the air. And it paid off.

Nicky Barr, 3 Sqn RAAF

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Wouldn't Milano be a better spy? To me he's the better tackler and he's faster.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm not too worried about our offense in this game. It took some time but we found our identity and we have enough talent to create a mismatch somewhere on the field. Feed the ball to Singletary and let Allen do what he does. We'll put up points.

The defense on the other hand I am terrified for. We are built to stop the pass and that won't help in this game. I think we just have to clog the middle of the field and force Jackson to throw to the sidelines. Edmunds is athletic enough to keep him in check as a spy. Just don't let Ingram run all over us and don't give any free space in the middle. That's our only hope of stopping them.

McDermott and Frazier have done a really good job of game planning against QBs so I expect them to limit Jackson more than most.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

blitzing consistently =disaster

jackson is even a better runner than JA.

gotta contain and hope jackson is slightly off his game.

JA has to be at least as good as he has been the past 3 weeks.

Balt may be the only team in the nfl that we have no chance against.

12 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I don’t think Milano is faster than Edmunds. And I think Milano is more important in coverage.

You're right, Edmunds is faster. I just looked at their combine numbers.

But I just think Milano is a MUCH better tackler.

I can think of multiple plays in the last few games alone where Edmund's blew into the backfield right after the ball was handed off to the RB and Edmunds couldn't make the tackle.

No one is catching Lamar in the open field. The issue seems to be his ability to shed and juke tacklers. I have more confidence in Milano in those scenarios.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The key to this game in my humble opinion is a +150 yd rushing day along with the no huddle.  Don’t give them time to adjust, and ram it down their throats.

Our defense will be fine.  I don’t want to see Jackson get hurt, but I’d love to see him it and hit hard a lot next Sunday.

They'll be fine?  I sure hope so.  But you're probably right.  This will almost definitely be on the offense to win.  With 10 days, McD and Frazier will have something for Bmore on D.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're right, Edmunds is faster. I just looked at their combine numbers.

But I just think Milano is a MUCH better tackler.

I can think of multiple plays in the last few games alone where Edmund's blew into the backfield right after the ball was handed off to the RB and Edmunds couldn't make the tackle.

No one is catching Lamar in the open field. The issue seems to be his ability to shed and juke tacklers. I have more confidence in Milano in those scenarios.

milano is by far the better tackler. and his instincts are incredible. reminds me a bit of buoniconti. senses where the play is going and takes the correct angles etc

• Like (+1) 3