If Foster Starts Rolling This Team Is Beyond Dangerous

H2o

I agree and hope that Dabol sees it as we do.  It took him longer than the fans to realize that Singletary was the starter (and will learn to use him even more, hopefully) so now let's see if he will start getting Foster more involved. 

One missing element  now is another high caliber offensive weapon and Foster has shown he can be that for the Bills. He can help to open things up across the board offensively.

Edited by Mister Defense

https://theathletic.com/1418886/2019/11/29/seven-observations-from-the-bills-win-josh-allen-takes-his-biggest-step-to-becoming-a-franchise-qb?source=shared-article

Is Robert Foster rising up the depth chart?

While Daboll and the offense continued high usage with a specific personnel package, it became clear that it was no longer a core five. Receiver Isaiah McKenzie had been right around Beasley in snap counts over the past two weeks, though the Bills significantly cut into that against Dallas. Up until the run-out-the-clock moments near the end of the game, McKenzie registered only 54 percent of the offensive snaps, which is below his time on the field in previous weeks. The reason for the switch was to get Robert Foster, last year’s second-half darling, on the field and involved in the offense more.

Foster accounted for 40 percent of the team’s snaps Thursday. That was slightly surprising given the hamstring injury he suffered against Denver, but the Bills liked what they saw from Foster’s two opportunities with the ball last week. They wanted to involve him more than they have since the beginning of the year, and you have to wonder if this is only the start of things to come. We saw Foster’s involvement surge in the second half of 2018 and he became a staple of the offense. While he won’t unseat Brown or Beasley anytime soon, it’s fair to wonder if Foster will overtake McKenzie in snaps given his usage Thursday night. Foster clearly puts a strain on the defense when he’s on the field, and having him and Brown as speedy bookends is enough to give any free safety a headache. We’ll see how the Bills handle the McKenzie-Foster split against Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

His speed is apparent.  Foster as a compliment to Brown and Beasley is a big deal.  Teams will almost forget about him.  I suspect Foster to sneak behind a defense a few times before the year is out.  Allen with the confidence he has Imo will connect on those plays.

Foster has already snuck behind defenses this season.  Josh has missed him.   If he gets his deep ball together watch out.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I too have noticed that they're working him the ball. I like it. I know people want to see Duke, but it's just really hard to not have the speed of Foster and McKenzie at our disposal. Honestly, whether or not he becomes anything more than a role player this year, the fact that he's putting positive plays on tape right now (the past two weeks have been huge) increase his value a ton because other teams are not quick to forget what he did last year. When he was MIA they didn't have to worry about him. Now, he's showing some things and reminding them what he can do. That makes him, if nothing else, a great decoy. 

Also, from what I've seen so far this year, he seems to be running a lot of crossers, which I don't remember from last year... I like that with his length and speed. 

Past two weeks he's averaging 2 touches for 18 yards a pop. That with the injury. I think they definitely see a roll for him. 

He actually ran tons of crossers last season

He first career TD was on a long long deep crossing route

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Buffalo signed him in March before they drafted Knox. He appears to have lost his job due to the injury, and seems set as the #2 TE.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s cut at the end of this year, and we draft another if a good class in the Spring.  As far as Foster, I liked him last year, and if he has been hurt, it makes sense why saw very little playing time.   Now if healthy, I would play him 2/3 of the time, and McKenzie 1/3 of the time as he is pretty dynamic as well.  There is a place for both of them and agreed speed kills so Brown, Beasley and Foster gives a lot of targets as well as Singletary, and Knox.

Next week should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Did he run many of the shallow crosses?

Honestly not many 

He was mainly a deep crosser guy, 9 routes and deep ins

But the last few games of last season his route tree was expanded more

I love that we are trying to get the ball into his hands quick, he has gas speed

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I have noticed the same thing. Foster has some serious speed and can cause fits opposite Brown if used right. Off topic some- where in the heck is Croft? A lot of money for such little production.

I saw that the Bills are playing 80% of their snaps in 1 TE, 1 RB and 3 WR. Knox is the TE and when they go big with 2 TEs they bring in Lee Smith for blocking so Kroft is basically a backup at this point.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I saw that the Bills are playing 80% of their snaps in 1 TE, 1 RB and 3 WR. Knox is the TE and when they go big with 2 TEs they bring in Lee Smith for blocking so Kroft is basically a backup at this point.

Good eye- sometimes I have a hard time seeing the different sets so thanks for that ?

4 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

"beyond dangerous" might be an overstatement lol

the Ravens offense is beyond dangerous. we just need Allen to continue to protect the football make smart decisions and we will be in the playoffs before the season is over. 

No one is taking anything away from any other team, especially a team like the Ravens. But if we get the Foster from the last 4 weeks of 2018, to go along with what we currently have, and you add in Josh's maturation? Yes, this team is beyond dangerous.  

On 11/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, Foxx said:

if Foster is able to run the entire route tree... my gosh, defenses are in trouble. Foster and Brown on the outside, Beasley in the slot and either Knox or Kroft lining up at TE and Singletary in the backfield... that is a scarey lineup to defend. not to mention, you would also have to account for Josh's run ability.

It was late last year that he started playing like a well rounded WR, capable of doing more than just running fast. It was strange, frankly, how he came on late and looked like a different player. I’m thrilled if that happens again, but you have to wonder........where has that been in 2019???

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

It seems that Foster is starting to be worked into the offense a bit more the last couple of weeks. Maybe the injuries hampered him to the point he just fell behind everyone else? Maybe he played himself into the doghouse for a while? Who knows. One thing is we have a better group this year as well so he's not a focal point like he was towards the end of the year in 2018. Over the last 4 games in 2018 though is when he came on with 19 catches for 285 yards and 2 TD's. We are now in the last 4 game stretch of 2019. If we can get that version of Foster, to go with Smoke who can hurt you all over the field, Knox who has really impressed as a rookie, Beasley who is basically unguardable in the slot, and the running game we have established to go along with the defense we already had? Watch out because this team could very well make a run that no one thought possible. 

He looked super fast even after the hamstring injury.  If they can find a way to get him the ball in space, I think he can make an impact 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Good eye- sometimes I have a hard time seeing the different sets so thanks for that ?

NFL made it harder taking away game PDFs.  Some marketing wheenie probably said it increases chance of player paying for replays but all it has done with me along with removing ability to listen to games is have me stop buying NFL gear.  Each year I have spent $200-300 a year on gear but since changes I have spent nothing.

I don't think Foster is good at taking hits. He looks a bit cautious, and reticent when contact is imminent.

He has been injured a lot...I doubt any CB's are gonna bite on an inside move within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I hope they can keep him healthy, it's important to have a deep threat

Would love to see more of this deep stuff, for sure...

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1