HBO's Watchmen. Who's watching?

PromoTheRobot

I have a few friends pressuring me to watch it.  I'm a comic nerd and liked the movie, but I like to binge.  I'm going to wait for the season to end first. 

Also, I'm nervous with HBO after they cancelled Deadwood and Carnivale early.  I can't get my heart broken again

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I have a few friends pressuring me to watch it.  I'm a comic nerd and liked the movie, but I like to binge.  I'm going to wait for the season to end first. 

Also, I'm nervous with HBO after they cancelled Deadwood and Carnivale early.  I can't get my heart broken again

When you do watch it, keep in mind it follows the comic's events, not the movies'.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:07 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

When you do watch it, keep in mind it follows the comic's events, not the movies'.

I haven't started watching it yet but have everything DVRed.  This was the one question I could not get people to answer.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I haven't started watching it yet but have everything DVRed.  This was the one question I could not get people to answer.

It builds off the comic's timeline. They even flesh out the backstory of one character that wasn't done fully in the comic.

I've been watching it.  

I appreciate the unique storytelling techniques and I've enjoyed the show's complexity.  I thought Episode 6 where Sister Knight "re-lived" her grandfather's life with the pills was very clever.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:27 AM, dpberr said:

I've been watching it.  

I appreciate the unique storytelling techniques and I've enjoyed the show's complexity.  I thought Episode 6 where Sister Knight "re-lived" her grandfather's life with the pills was very clever.  

Well I feel like I've been Lindelof'ed again. The guy is a master of weaving plot threads but had no idea how to tie them off.

So like all his other shows (Lost, Leftovers, etc) I get sucked in only to get a clumsy, rushed, and unsatisfying finale.

And one more thing...squids are dumb.

I didn't like the comic. I didn't like the movie. 

Absolutely loving the show. 

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So like all his other shows (Lost, Leftovers, etc) I get sucked in only to get a clumsy, rushed, and unsatisfying finale.

Wow, I really liked Lost and Leftovers is one of the best shows ever, though I think most people didn't see it. A real-feeling exploration of how people react when confronted by the unknown. It was brilliant. The idea was never to explain the unknown in that show, but to show all the crap people made up. 

On 11/30/2019 at 3:00 PM, Virgil said:

Also, I'm nervous with HBO after they cancelled Deadwood

This was tragic. But Milch wanted to make John from Cincy so don't blame HBO: Blame him. 

and Carnivale 

Not feeling this though...that show was awful. 

Edited by Sundancer

4 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I didn't like the comic. I didn't like the movie. 

Absolutely loving the show. 

Wow, I really liked Lost and Leftovers is one of the best shows ever, though I think most people didn't see it. A real-feeling exploration of how people react when confronted by the unknown. It was brilliant. 

The flights are great. But the landings suck. Damon's shows can't seem to wrap up in a way that doesn't seem rushed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The flights are great. But the landings suck.

Disagree there. I thought Leftovers had a great ending. Lost, less so but my complaints were quibbles. Not everything needs an explanation. Life isn't like that either. 

Edited by Sundancer

Just now, Sundancer said:

Disagree there. I thought Leftovers had a great ending. Lost, less os but my complaints were quibbles. Not everything needs an explanation. Life isn't like that either. 

Disagree. If you spend 8 episodes weaving plot threads, they have to tie up at the end. Otherwise you failed as a writer.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Disagree. If you spend 8 episodes weaving plot threads, they have to tie up at the end. Otherwise you failed as a writer.

[**SPOLIERS***]

The entire point of Leftovers was that everyone made up their own reality to explain what was happening, and none of it was right. That was the entire premise of the show, that all those stories were 100% wrong, and yet the people's lives went on. It was life. I'm not sure any show ever tackled that reality in a better way. Lost tried but Leftovers succeeded. 

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

[**SPOLIERS***]

The entire point of Leftovers was that everyone made up their own reality to explain what was happening, and none of it was right. That was the entire premise of the show, that all those stories were 100% wrong, and yet the people's lives went on. It was life. I'm not sure any show ever tackled that reality in a better way. Lost tried but Leftovers succeeded. 

Well okay but we're taking about Watchmen.