Bills have second least amount of cap allocated to top 5 player

foreboding

44 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

White and Dawkins, yes. Milano, another two years. Allen and Edmunds, another 3 years with the 5th year option. 

We will be fine. 

It’s coming sooner than you think. 

if you like Edmunds, you don’t leave both guys on a 5th year option and only have 1 tag to use that offseason. At least one gets paid earlier. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rbleyle said:

Phillips is priority one.  Spain and Lawson can and should be upgraded if they want big bucks.  Why rush into signing Hyde and Poyer if we don’t have too? 

Because their contracts will be up soon. We could avoid trying to re-sign them as free agents by giving them extensions before that occurs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rbleyle said:

Axing Tyler Kroft will save another 5 million.  We are going to have an insane amount of cap space next year.  

Let’s try not be so presumptuous....yeah?  Cutting Star saves over 2 million.  With the amount of cap space we have taking a 7.8 million cap hit is very doable since we will want to re-sign Phillips.  I don’t see Hughes going anywhere, he’s the only decent edge rusher on this team, and we just re-signed him. 

Why on Earth would the Bills cut Star this off-season for a tiny cap savings of $2 million and an $8 million dead cap hit???

I agree that Hughes likely won't be cut at any point during his contract, but I'm just throwing it out there that he could be cut conveniently after 2020 in case his performance drops off a cliff.

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Because their contracts will be up soon. We could avoid trying to re-sign them as free agents by giving them extensions before that occurs.

Contract extensions are also a good idea because they can be front-loaded in order to create more cap room in the future when all the big contracts come up (Allen, White, EDmunds, Oliver, etc...)

Hyde and Poyer should be considered extremely high priorities. They are an elite safety tandem, but they are also both major pieces to the locker room culture that McDermott has built.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good thread.

For the manyeth time I will reiterate that the Seahawks won the SB with the youngest roster in the NFL and basically none of their stars had been paid yet.

Within a few years that team was torn down by salary constraints and being reconstructed as a QB driven one.

Big turnover is the name of the game............the Bills are just in a very temporary sweet spot..........hopefully they take advantage of it the way the Seahawks or even the Eagles did recently.

That's why you won't find me calling this a development year...........this season is most definitely part of their first and most cap flexible window with Josh Allen.

Was that team torn down, when they made the playoffs five of the last six years and will certainly make it six out of seven this year?

More, you can pretend that the Seahawks roster turnover was all about money, but that's what you'd be doing ... pretending. That team was riven by internal tensions. The defense essentially revolted, forcing them to get rid of many of their best players. Would they have had to get rid of some anyway, because of money issues? Yeah. But was some of that turnover performance-based and based on guys considering themselves above the team, guys like Sherman thinking he was smarter and more integral to the team than Carroll, forcing them to get rid of him? Yeah, it absolutely was.

Yes, cap concerns were part of it. But only a part.

No, you can't keep everyone. But yes, there are a core of guys, somewhere between maybe nine and twelve depending, that you can aim to keep, and yes that allows you to be successful over the long term if you're good at drafting, cap management and player acquisition generally. That's how teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, the Putz, the Pack, the Saints, the Seahawks and a few more stay competitive for a long time even if they have a bad year or two scattered here and there.

Oh, and the Seahawks were a QB-driven team from the minute they made Russell Wilson the starter, even if many on the roster didn't fully understand that. Take him out, and they don't make those two Super Bowls.

The Bills might be in a temporary sweet spot. Or not. Has NE's sweet spot been temporary? Seattle's? Pittsburgh's?

And whether or not you are willing to call it a development year doesn't change the fact that it is one. This is a very very young team with a very very young QB.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe this is just my own bias....but frankly Beane looks to me like a GM of the year candidate.

Thoughts?

Top five, to me. Maybe top three or four.

Not so much for the state of the cap, though, IMO. That's what the cap tends to look like this early in a (financially conservative, intelligently run) rebuild.

But for putting together a roster that looks like it will be very competitive very soon. For drafting Allen, who is proceeding a bit ahead of schedule. For drafting Oliver w/out trading up, for drafting Singletary, and for suffering through the rebuild w/out bowing to the fans constant calls to sacrifice long-term success for (expensive) short-term gains.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, billspro said:

We will have to pay Allen, White, Milano, Edmunds, and Dawkins soon. This won’t last long.

yes but the guys who are making the big bucks now likely wont be on the team then. Someday we will be capped out but i believe Beane will always be able to manage the cap and get the cap we need because they believe in team building and not just accumulating talent which rarely works out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billspro said:

We will have to pay Allen, White, Milano, Edmunds, and Dawkins soon. This won’t last long.

By then Murphy and Star will come off the books with their replacements drafted. Allen is only in year two, same for Edmunds and both have the 5th year option.  Milano will get decent $ but an OLB isn’t going to break the bank.

That leaves plenty to pay Tre the top CB money he deserves and likely top 5 LT money to Dawkins.

With the way in which Beane got this team to this point cap wise, I’m not worried about him retaining the necessary parts while maintaining enough cap space to address needs as they arise.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Rbleyle said:

Axing Tyler Kroft will save another 5 million.  We are going to have an insane amount of cap space next year.  

Let’s try not be so presumptuous....yeah?  Cutting Star saves over 2 million.  With the amount of cap space we have taking a 7.8 million cap hit is very doable since we will want to re-sign Phillips.  I don’t see Hughes going anywhere, he’s the only decent edge rusher on this team, and we just re-signed him. 

No particular reason to think we cut Star. He's not popular here on the boards, but he's very very popular at OBD. He's doing the job they want him doing, the job they signed him and valued his contract so high for.

Would they cut him if they find someone who can do the job better and cheaper? Sure, same with everyone else on the team. But Star is getting the dirty job of space-eating done. He's part of the reason the LBs run free, part of a defense that's back nuzzling at the bubble of being elite.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billspro said:

First order of business is:

Poyer

Lawson (if they want to retain him)

Jordan Phillips

I see Murphy and Kroft being let go this coming offseason to apy for the above three.  Alexander's modest contract also comes off the books as he is retiring.

All three are going to demand top-5 money.  These will be the extensions in 2020.

Then comes  Milano, Dawkins and White.   Again will be Top-5 (if not the highest) money in 2021.  We probably will also have to extend Hyde and Hughes here.

And in year three we will have to pay Allen and Edmunds,    I assume Star's contract will come off the books at that point. 

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

the folks that confused me most all offseason were those that thought we had no chance but loved the regime. 

It’s called Stockholm Syndrome and 90% of this message board has it.

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

First order of business is:

Poyer

Lawson (if they want to retain him)

Jordan Phillips

I think they want J Johnson to take over for Poyer next season.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

8 hours ago, foreboding said:

9 wins, on the way up and we seem to have one of the top run organizations. Pinch me, is this the Bills??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28178827/the-rams-major-salary-cap-issues-their-title-window-already-closing

Excerpt that matters here:

(Rams are worst)

Who's on the other end of this list?

The team with the least amount of cap space committed to its top five players in 2020 is the Bills, who have a total of $49.925 million committed to Mitch Morse, Star Lotulelei, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy. Yes, it helps when you haven't had to pay your quarterback yet. Josh Allen is projected to have Buffalo's ninth-highest 2020 cap charge, at roughly $5.8 million, and the team can't negotiate a new deal with him until after the 2020 season.

Right behind (or in front of) the Bills on our list are the Dolphins (duh), who have just $51.5 million in cap space committed to their 2020 top five and could knock off another $21 million by letting go of Reshad Jones, Albert Wilson and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And yet the Jerry Sullivan's in the media were treating 2018 like a massive screwup by Beane and McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is a very good point!

When you consider the mess that was inherited, the house cleaning purge that followed and the rebuild that began from there. 

This isn't the Jets or the Browns whose GMs were given the check book to go willy nilly on FAs on a quick fix to the post season. This is a rebuild that has been methodically thought out and designed on vision instead of buying sexy new toys.  Soon to be 2 post season appearances in 3 years? Rolling over 80+ million in cap space next year? Hell yes he deserves consideration for GM of the Year! But it is Buffalo....

Front runners are likely:

Baltimore GM

Niners GM

Baltimore was a playoff team last year.  I think it's down to Lynch or Beane.  Add in the cap space I think Beane should get it.  

9 hours ago, foreboding said:

9 wins, on the way up and we seem to have one of the top run organizations. Pinch me, is this the Bills??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28178827/the-rams-major-salary-cap-issues-their-title-window-already-closing

Excerpt that matters here:

(Rams are worst)

Who's on the other end of this list?

The team with the least amount of cap space committed to its top five players in 2020 is the Bills, who have a total of $49.925 million committed to Mitch Morse, Star Lotulelei, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy. Yes, it helps when you haven't had to pay your quarterback yet. Josh Allen is projected to have Buffalo's ninth-highest 2020 cap charge, at roughly $5.8 million, and the team can't negotiate a new deal with him until after the 2020 season.

Right behind (or in front of) the Bills on our list are the Dolphins (duh), who have just $51.5 million in cap space committed to their 2020 top five and could knock off another $21 million by letting go of Reshad Jones, Albert Wilson and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Thread title says second but article says first.

• Like (+1) 1

There is a 3-4 immediate years window, basically up until the year after Josh Allen’s option year:   Which is why drafting, good coaching and having a legit franchise QB are hugely important to sustain the success beyond that the initial window.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe this is just my own bias....but frankly Beane looks to me like a GM of the year candidate.

Thoughts?

It will take a Superbowl win 45-0....then maybe...lol

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

To me he has been looking above avg these past few games. Star, Oliver and Lawson have been feasting. Some how I forgot to put Phillips in there. Which maybe the reason Star is looking so much better is cause the whole damn D-line is playing good.

The Star that’s shown up the past couple games is worth his contract. The Star that showed up the first half of the season isn’t... At his salary one would expect a splash play every 1-2 games. His recent surge is a contributing factor to Oliver taking a step forward and some of these stunts working brilliantly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s a strange dichotomy that successive successful Drafts inevitably put you in Cap Hell. No reason to stop believing in Beane’s scouting team, so tough choices lie ahead. Will Harry & Ed O develop enough to allow Star & J. Phillips to move on? Can suitable replacements be found for Poyer & Hyde? (We don’t know, cuz they’re always on the field!) It’s become a ‘norm’ that great LT & CB’s eventually out value super contracts for their original teams and they find themselves on the market (Dawkins & Trey). It’s becoming clear Feliciano is a great option at C -especially if he upgrades his passpro, where Morse could be a cap casualty. 

The roster changes dramatically every year. Currently, Allen, Edmunds, Milano, Brown & the 4 rookies seem locks for future contracts. Beas will be a 10 year player by his contract end and the rest of the O & D lines are -by today’s standards- expendable. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2