Bills have second least amount of cap allocated to top 5 player

foreboding

9 wins, on the way up and we seem to have one of the top run organizations. Pinch me, is this the Bills??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28178827/the-rams-major-salary-cap-issues-their-title-window-already-closing

Excerpt that matters here:

(Rams are worst)

Who's on the other end of this list?

The team with the least amount of cap space committed to its top five players in 2020 is the Bills, who have a total of $49.925 million committed to Mitch Morse, Star Lotulelei, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy. Yes, it helps when you haven't had to pay your quarterback yet. Josh Allen is projected to have Buffalo's ninth-highest 2020 cap charge, at roughly $5.8 million, and the team can't negotiate a new deal with him until after the 2020 season.

Right behind (or in front of) the Bills on our list are the Dolphins (duh), who have just $51.5 million in cap space committed to their 2020 top five and could knock off another $21 million by letting go of Reshad Jones, Albert Wilson and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only blight that reveals is a lot of money in Edge and not a ton of production... That being said, we're doing fine right now. I expect one or both of Murphy and Jerry to be gone next year though, which will help these numbers more. 

As for the main idea behind the article- yes, the Rams are screwed and it's really self inflicted. I was super hesitant when everyone was worshiping their carte blanche mentality with team building, but that's really come back to bite them badly. 

We have the cap space, maybe we can flip them a 3rd for Donald and his big ass contract?? ?

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, foreboding said:

9 wins, on the way up and we seem to have one of the top run organizations. Pinch me, is this the Bills??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28178827/the-rams-major-salary-cap-issues-their-title-window-already-closing

(Rams are worst)

The team with the least amount of cap space committed to its top five players in 2020 is the Bills, who have a total of $49.925 million committed to Mitch Morse, Star Lotulelei, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy. Yes, it helps when you haven't had to pay your quarterback yet. Josh Allen is projected to have Buffalo's ninth-highest 2020 cap charge, at roughly $5.8 million, and the team can't negotiate a new deal with him until after the 2020 season.

Right behind (or in front of) the Bills on our list are the Dolphins (duh), who have just $51.5 million in cap space committed to their 2020 top five and could knock off another $21 million by letting go of Reshad Jones, Albert Wilson and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Good thread.

For the manyeth time I will reiterate that the Seahawks won the SB with the youngest roster in the NFL and basically none of their stars had been paid yet.

Within a few years that team was torn down by salary constraints and being reconstructed as a QB driven one.

Big turnover is the name of the game............the Bills are just in a very temporary sweet spot..........hopefully they take advantage of it the way the Seahawks or even the Eagles did recently.

That's why you won't find me calling this a development year...........this season is most definitely part of their first and most cap flexible window with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good thread.

For the manyeth time I will reiterate that the Seahawks won the SB with the youngest roster in the NFL and basically none of their stars had been paid yet.

Within a few years that team was torn down by salary constraints and being reconstructed as a QB driven one.

Big turnover is the name of the game............the Bills are just in a very temporary sweet spot..........hopefully they take advantage of it the way the Seahawks or even the Eagles did recently.

That's why you won't find me calling this a development year...........this season is most definitely part of their first and most cap flexible window with Josh Allen.

I think the problem with Seattle, and I could see it being a problem here too, is that they weren't ever ready to let people go before it was too late. There are sometimes you may not be able to pay every player. We may not be able to pay Hyde and Poyer. It'll suck to see one of them leave, but it's a business. Same with the LB's. If it's one or the other, who do you keep?

There are ways it can be done, but it's not always fun. 

I agree that our window is wide open right now and we need to be SB contenders this year and every year for the next 3 or 4.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

We will have to pay Allen, White, Milano, Edmunds, and Dawkins soon. This won’t last long.

White and Dawkins, yes. Milano, another two years. Allen and Edmunds, another 3 years with the 5th year option. 

We will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, foreboding said:

(Rams are worst)

Star and Murphy could be on their way out as well.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Murphy for sure. I honestly think Star is playing great.

Star is very average with an above average salary (#13 for DTs).  If an upgrade is available we should cut our losses if not ask him to take a cut.  

Edited by Rbleyle
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rbleyle said:

Star is very average with an above average salary.  If an upgrade is available we should cut our losses if not ask him to take a cut.  

To me he has been looking above avg these past few games. Star, Oliver and Lawson have been feasting. Some how I forgot to put Phillips in there. Which maybe the reason Star is looking so much better is cause the whole damn D-line is playing good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So is lorax. He's pretty much already said this is his last contract. 

Axing Tyler Kroft will save another 5 million.  We are going to have an insane amount of cap space next year.  

8 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

You need to look at salary cap numbers first before suggesting which players get cut. Murphy can be cut this offseason, but Hughes and Star will be here at least one more season because their dead cap numbers are too high until 2021.

Let’s try not be so presumptuous....yeah?  Cutting Star saves over 2 million.  With the amount of cap space we have taking a 7.8 million cap hit is very doable since we will want to re-sign Phillips.  I don’t see Hughes going anywhere, he’s the only decent edge rusher on this team, and we just re-signed him. 

Edited by Rbleyle
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe this is just my own bias....but frankly Beane looks to me like a GM of the year candidate.

Thoughts?

This is a very good point!

When you consider the mess that was inherited, the house cleaning purge that followed and the rebuild that began from there. 

This isn't the Jets or the Browns whose GMs were given the check book to go willy nilly on FAs on a quick fix to the post season. This is a rebuild that has been methodically thought out and designed on vision instead of buying sexy new toys.  Soon to be 2 post season appearances in 3 years? Rolling over 80+ million in cap space next year? Hell yes he deserves consideration for GM of the Year! But it is Buffalo....

Front runners are likely:

Baltimore GM

Niners GM

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

White and Dawkins, yes. Milano, another two years. Allen and Edmunds, another 3 years with the 5th year option. 

We will be fine. 

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So is lorax. He's pretty much already said this is his last contract. 

12 minutes ago, Rbleyle said:

Axing Tyler Kroft will save another 5 million.  We are going to have an insane amount of cap space next year.  

Let's not forget about players like Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson. Do we give them new deals for next year?

How about Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer, do we give them extensions before they become free agents?

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Let's not forget about players like Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson. Do we give them new deals for next year?

How about Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer, do we give them extensions before they become free agents?

Phillips is priority one.  Spain and Lawson can and should be upgraded if they want big bucks.  Why rush into signing Hyde and Poyer if we don’t have too? 

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good thread.

yup. We are in a 2-3 year window here, followed by a re-tool where we find out if Josh can carry a team.

roughly this year and next should be our easiest shot at winning a super bowl because we can so wildly over index on talent.

to John asking if he’s GM of the year... I suppose the question is do you think we have a shot and do you think we maximized those odds?

id say an outside shot if josh stays hot and we get some bounces. I do think we could have pushed more chips on the table to maximize those odds though. 

the folks that confused me most all offseason were those that thought we had no chance but loved the regime.