Roll call for officiating conspiracy believers

Refs help patriots all the time I don't care what anyone says you can see that ***** in almost every game they play.

NFL makes billions, most explosive growth especially in the past 2 decades during the patriots dynasty. The team everyone LOVES to hate. The team they can't stop watching. The Kind of wild to actually consider they would leave it to chance. That team is too important to them.

Also, what seems more likely, the patriots are a statistical anomaly that defies all the odds in a league that is supposed to boast parity, or that they have been silently getting some nudge nudge help help love love along the way?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Refs help patriots all the time I don't care what anyone says you can see that ***** in almost every game they play.

NFL makes billions, most explosive growth especially in the past 2 decades during the patriots dynasty. The team everyone LOVES to hate. The team they can't stop watching. The Kind of wild to actually consider they would leave it to chance. That team is too important to them.

Also, what seems more likely, the patriots are a statistical anomaly that defies all the odds in a league that is supposed to boast parity, or that they have been silently getting some nudge nudge help help love love along the way?

Yes lets ask what seems more likely?

31 other billionaires agree it's ok for their competitor to have an advantage.

Or, dozens of referrees represented by a union that work for an organization that locked them out would willingly sway games to one billionaire's team

On 11/29/2019 at 11:13 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

When Riveron unilaterally overruled the TD call for KB against the Cheats, I knew right then and there that the NFL was fixed.

Totally agree with that moment in time and  confirmation for me too!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/1/2019 at 2:11 AM, RobbRiddick said:

I've spent time this season looking at forums of our opponents, and one thing they all have in common is a belief that the refs are out to get them. Just last week the cowboy fans were starting threads all over the place about being screwed over by the refs. 

It's like how you get convinced your own kids are getting harsher treatment by the teachers than all the others. 

While it’s clear that the Pats* have been the poster child for “favoritism” It is not just all skewed towards them. It happens to teams all over the league. The league tries its best to keep teams right around the .500 mark to keep them in the playoffs, and to keep attendance up. 

However, you can only do so much for certain teams without making it BLATANTLY obvious. Miami, Washington, Cincinnati, we’re going to suck this year no matter what. 

This is the first year that I have seen Buffalo be able to overcome the bs flags thrown at them. I have never been as proud as I am now, that not only are we beating other teams, but the officials as well. 

To this day, I have a shell shocked reaction whenever we convert a 3rd and long, to expect a flag against us. Conversely, when stopping a team on 3rd down, I also immediately start looking for the flag against us. I’m sure that I’m not the only one..  

On 11/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, leonbus23 said:

Less of a conspiracy and more of a business plan to maximize profit. Stating that the success of a specific franchise is more profitable is not a conspiracy. This aim toward profit drives specific corporate interests and decisions. None of this is conspiracy (at least not in the colloquial use of the term). 

Who makes the business plan?  Who decides what steps to take to execute it?

If the business plan was found/published publicly and shown to bias certain teams for financial gain would there(could there) be an impact in terms of loss revenue?  

On 12/1/2019 at 2:11 AM, RobbRiddick said:

I've spent time this season looking at forums of our opponents, and one thing they all have in common is a belief that the refs are out to get them. Just last week the cowboy fans were starting threads all over the place about being screwed over by the refs. 

It's like how you get convinced your own kids are getting harsher treatment by the teachers than all the others. 

Exactly correct, I am a Bills fan living in NE and I can assure you they also think the NFL is out to get them.  They can make a case too if you look at the whole deflate gate/sting the NFL did.   They are the only team to lose two 1st round picks as penalties.  I listen to NFL network on Sirius and this is a common theme, Steelers fans think the NFL is out to get them, Cowboys fan....like you said pretty much every fan base, the reasons are different.  For Buffalo its small market, for NE its that Goodell hates Kraft, they all have their "reasons".

The reality is calls are subjective and the NFL officiating is inconsistent.  Josh Allen getting called for a fumble against Minn while Mayfield gets an incomplete pass on the same play.  Lots of inconsistencies........but I dont believe there is any conspiracy, nothing intentional.  

Unconscious bias, sure we are all human.  Screaming for calls works.... working the officials...some I am sure like some teams and dislike others, or more likely individuals...

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

Who makes the business plan?  Who decides what steps to take to execute it?

If the business plan was found/published publicly and shown to bias certain teams for financial gain would there(could there) be an impact in terms of loss revenue?  

Good questions. 

Overall, this is hard to prove. We really would have to rely on precedents set by other corporations and apply their business practice to the NFL. It seems that all levels of planning would keep plausible deniability in place. One document or plan would probably not emerge. Rather, the practice or plan would emerge or emerges from a set of circumstantial data. Take hiring of minorities in 1960s. You will not find a document or business plan that states: do not hire minorities. But you will see that minorities simply do not get hired, despite claims of the opposite, e.g. we are an equal opportunity employer. More explicitly related to profit is, let's say, oil companies.There will be no documents that state "we will displace this Native tribe or we will damage this ecosystem", but those things will happen and are implicit in business plans. So, employees (officials) simply understand the aims of the corporation and comply. Like a New York Times writer understands that they cannot write a story from a fascist or communist perspective because it will not be profitable or aligned with the politics of the paper and it will not get published. Sometimes when things like this are revealed, corporations do lose revenue.  

So, it is an on going process of aims toward profit that are only revealed through somewhat long term study and an analysis of how corporations function. There is no single who, but rather a host of related forces that determine the central practice of the business. This is the beauty of bureaucracy and capitalism, but also this is what makes it so problematic. 

Edited by leonbus23

6 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

Good questions. 

Overall, this is hard to prove. We really would have to rely on precedents set by other corporations and apply their business practice to the NFL. It seems that all levels of planning would keep plausible deniability in place. One document or plan would probably not emerge. Rather, the practice or plan would emerge or emerges from a set of circumstantial data. Take hiring of minorities in 1960s. You will not find a document or business plan that states: do not hire minorities. But you will see that minorities simply do not get hired, despite claims of the opposite, e.g. we are an equal opportunity employer. More explicitly related to profit is, let's say, oil companies.There will be no documents that state "we will displace this Native tribe or we will damage this ecosystem", but those things will happen and are implicit in business plans. So, employees (officials) simply understand the aims of the corporation and comply. Like a New York Times writer understands that they cannot write a story from a fascist or communist perspective because it will not be profitable or aligned with the politics of the paper and it will not get published. Sometimes when things like this are revealed, corporations do lose revenue.  

So, it is an on going process of aims toward profit that are only revealed through somewhat long term study and an analysis of how corporations function. There is no single who, but rather a host of related forces that determine the central practice of the business. This is the beauty of bureaucracy and capitalism, but also this is what makes it so problematic. 

Or maybe there is no business plan that favors large markets and fans have a biased perception of their experiences. 

12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Or maybe there is no business plan that favors large markets and fans have a biased perception of their experiences. 

Certainly possible. But as my examples show, there are objective conditions that drive capital. I understand deeply rooted inherent bias. But I do not need any bias to state that, for instance, logging displaces certain animal species. What mystifies our understanding is the layer of ideology that covers the objective conditions. 

In the NFL, we know as a corporation, it seeks maximum profits. From that fact, we can see how their practices fulfill this aim. 

On 11/30/2019 at 4:17 PM, MattM said:

Please simply list examples of games they lost on League-wide controversial bad calls—it’s a very simple question. Off the top of my head I listed a whole bunch they won that way.  If there was anything close to randomness involved here, it would even out, yet it doesn’t seem to when it comes to them.  Remember, too, that we’re dealing with a team that has been caught cheating and pushing the envelope of acceptable behavior many, many times.

If it’s simply “the Jordan effect”, please explain (a) why Peyton Manning didn’t seem to get a similar benefit of the doubt during his  HOF career (in fact, one of the most egregious examples of multiple bad calls at the end of a game going New England’s way (the aforementioned 2004 AFCCG) came against Manning), and (b) why no other teams are known to get the benefit of calls anywhere near the level of New England (look no further than the cottage industry of “New England owns the refs“ memes that have cropped up over the last few years).

Please be specific.

Just watch the KC game today - multiple bad calls and penalties including a fumble that was going for a TD get called down.

Games like this are why even NE fans feel screwed.

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Just watch the KC game today - multiple bad calls and penalties including a fumble that was going for a TD get called down.

Games like this are why even NE fans feel screwed.

The one call that goes against them? Hell his forward progress was stopped honestly. They have no right to complain....

23 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The one call that goes against them? Hell his forward progress was stopped honestly. They have no right to complain....

This is a crew that likes to call penalties and NE has had a ton to keep KC drives alive early.