Roll call for officiating conspiracy believers

I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong and that I drone on about a few topics - turnovers, replay challenges for all plays, and how bad Murphy is come to mind.  

I would like folks on this board to admit if they really believe the officiating of games is fixed or even influenced by certain owners and teams.  Complaints about the officiating is one of the most annoying things about this board and in particular the in-game thread. 

My hunch is most of it is just frustration but I'm also a bit scared to see how many people actually think the fix is in.

I think better teams and better players will get the benefit of the doubt a few times a game. But I also think that is no different in any sport. I also think the officials make amazing spots and calls in full speed real time the vast majority of the time. They also miss things, but not to the benefit or detriment to any specific teams. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong and that I drone on about a few topics - turnovers, replay challenges for all plays, and how bad Murphy is come to mind.  

I would like folks on this board to admit if they really believe the officiating of games is fixed or even influenced by certain owners and teams.  Complaints about the officiating is one of the most annoying things about this board and in particular the in-game thread. 

My hunch is most of it is just frustration but I'm also a bit scared to see how many people actually think the fix is in.

I think better teams and better players will get the benefit of the doubt a few times a game. But I also think that is no different in any sport. I also think the officials make amazing spots and calls in full speed real time the vast majority of the time. They also miss things, but not to the benefit or detriment to any specific teams. 

Agreed that better teams traditionally seem to get the benefit of the doubt.   One of the things not discussed often with officiating is the reality that refs are anticipating how plays are going to go down before they even happen.   Doing so helps slow the game down and hone in on details.   Anticipating can lead to bias....particularly in favor of the perceived better team.  Anticipating the outcome can even cause outright confusion........which IMO was the case when NRC committed that egregious PI in the NFC Championship and the official got an eyeful of what didn't look anything like anyone imagined would happen.

• Like (+1) 3

If you can't see a Pats bias at least then you are a %#$@!/& Moron...

Whenever a team is having its way on O or D on them then out comes a flag for some phantom call and you get labeled a conspiracy nut. Why does it happen every game if not every drive with them?

You didn't see the refs trying to keep the Girls in the game last night??

Even Romo was like nah I'm not seeing none of this nonsense....

Opposite also applies... why is Hughes getting curb stomped every play by the entire O-line of every team on every play NEVER called since he spoke his mind to that b!+(# @$$ ref? 

Why is Josh Allen getting his head smashed in with his own helmet and having tag team wrestling finishers performed after every play not called but Brady gets his pocket collapsed and it's an automatic 15 yards?

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I doubt it is fixed or influenced by certain teams or owners, as much as we like to pile on about Bob Kraft's checks clearing.  This topic was mentioned a while back, where a poster(s) commented that the calls NE and Brady gets is similar to what the Bulls and Michael Jordan got back in the day.  Jordan would travel and it would never get called.  I just suspect that the NFL thinks that the Patriots and Tom Brady are good for the game, so they get favorable calls.  

It would also help if the game wasn't so technical, where every play could have a foul called.  Let these guys play football more and officiate less.  Games should not be decided by officials.  Do away with that and many of the conspiracy theories go away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know about a conspiracy but the same ref who flagged that soft late hit on Dak, also over-ruled the ref s few plays later on that horrible TD catch that was over-ruled.  That ref needs to be demoted.  That was a horrible sequence of calls that makes you question if the guy had money on the game.  Those calls were that bad.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

In yesterday's game, I wondered how many times a bad call would negate a positive play for the Bills. I can't remember the play exactly, but it went for positive yards and Nance said there was a flag, and immediately I couldn't help but think really? Turns out there wasn't one. If winning teams get calls in their favor, then maybe the Bills are due for some here soon. Given the upcoming tough schedule, it'd sure be the right time for it

• Like (+1) 1

I do not think games are fixed by the league or there is a general conspiracy for/against a specific team.

I think three things could occur:

1.  Subconcious bias against a team.

2.  Refs protecting themselves or other refs to provide cover/make points to certain players/teams.

3.  As with a NBA ref several years ago, fixing by a single ref to make money.  It was shown calls do not need to be obvious, just reasonably close.

I.suspect every fan things their team is the result of bad officiating.  It would be an interesting study to see if they do average out.

• Like (+1) 1

Each season, I get closer and closer to realizing that there are some officials who are on the take.

If anything, I think there may be a few individual refs making/missing calls to fatten their wallets.  I do not think it's a widespread conspiracy.

I do, however, think that the BS last week with Sean Payton was retaliatory.  That is very bad.

The phantom tripping calls against Dallas last week really had me believing there was a payoff.

If I ever convinced myself it was widespread, I'd stop watching football.  It's why I stopped watching boxing.  And I LOVED boxing.  I hope it never gets to that point.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Officials have gotten “worked” on the field since the dawn of organized sports, not to change any calls they’ve made in the past, just to influence calls they may make in the future. Is it so crazy to think they may get “worked” off the field as well?

I think the big market, sweetheart teams definitely get calls favored towards them, over the little market ugly duckling teams as we saw numerous times on Thursday. There was most definite bias in the calls in that game, it's just that the Bills were the much better team that day. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every fan base even the patriots deal with the same bad calls we do. 
the games are not fixed, the refs may sway momentum at times with bad calls but I don’t think there’s any real conspiracy to it. 
Im sure the NFL would prefer certain teams to shine, but were talking about a multi billion dollar business who is in front of 100’s of millions of eyes LIVE multiple times a week. 
There is ZERO chance the officials or league is really tampering. The risk is too high, and there’s no way this kind of stuff goes on and NOBODY ever comes forward or tells stories or sells their story to TMZ on their deathbed or nothing. It makes us all look bad as fans when people are crying on social media about refs sabotaging their team. 
Yesterday was a prime example. Cowboys got all the calls, yet buffalo stomped them. 
Good teams overcome bad officiating and find a way to win games. ALL teams get bad calls every week 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

If you can't see a Pats bias at least then you are a %#$@!/& Moron...

Whenever a team is having its way on O or D on them then out comes a flag for some phantom call and you get labeled a conspiracy nut. Why does it happen every game if not every drive with them?

You didn't see the refs trying to keep the Girls in the game last night??

Even Romo was like nah I'm not seeing none of this nonsense....

Opposite also applies... why is Hughes getting curb stomped every play by the entire O-line of every team on every play NEVER called since he spoke his mind to that b!+(# @$$ ref? 

Why is Josh Allen getting his head smashed in with his own helmet and having tag team wrestling finishers performed after every play not called but Brady gets his pocket collapsed and it's an automatic 15 yards?

When you make statements like that, it's hard to see how you maintain any credibility.