QB sneak on 3rd and 1

First of all Daboll needs to be careful on these plays as he keeps misjudging the distance.

However, I think there is a great opportunity to fake a sneak on 3rd and 1 and try to hit a deep pass. All they need to do is run up to the line. They can sneak a TE up the seam or Singletary on a wheel route. 

Let's hope Daboll can dial up another trick play.

• Like (+1) 1

Ya, you definitely save that wrinkle when you need it.  I think on sneaks teams' secondaries don't sell out on the 1 yard push in the middle that hard.  It's possible to run a quick pass or an outside toss that could go for big yards though.

But I agree Daboll loves to call sneaks on 3rd and a very very long 1, and I particularly hate it.  Sometimes we'll run a cheap play to get 1-2 yards on a 2nd and 1.  I feel like those are the plays that we need to take more advantage of and go for chunk yards instead of rushing to get the 1st.

6 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

pretty sure it's already happened this year

I don't recall but I'd be willing to try it again. I think maybe the time you are referring to though was an attempt on like 3rd and 1.5 yards or so. I agree there is a limit to the distance it should be attempted. But I mean at less than a yard. Hard to believe we can't consistently gain positive yardage twice. But it's not an exact science as we know the refs don't always have a clear view of the ball.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't recall but I'd be willing to try it again. I think maybe the time you are referring to though was an attempt on like 3rd and 1.5 yards or so. I agree there is a limit to the distance it should be attempted. But I mean at less than a yard. Hard to believe we can't consistently gain positive yardage twice. But it's not an exact science as we know the refs don't always have a clear view of the ball.

I feel like it happened in the Philly game?  We went for a quick line up and sneak on like 3rd and damn near 2.  Didn't get it, then tried it again and got stuffed

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

First of all Daboll needs to be careful on these plays as he keeps misjudging the distance.

However, I think there is a great opportunity to fake a sneak on 3rd and 1 and try to hit a deep pass. All they need to do is run up to the line. They can sneak a TE up the seam or Singletary on a wheel route. 

As pleased with the coaching as I am, this is the kind of 'out of the box thinking' that would suprise me under McD.

I feel like Allen might do this.

I thought this about the drawing Offside thing, they look like they are going to not snap it so why not snap it and take the opponent off guard, every opponent would be wary then and may need to burn timeouts not being sure if the bills will snap it on 4th down. 

7 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Ya, you definitely save that wrinkle when you need it.  I think on sneaks teams' secondaries don't sell out on the 1 yard push in the middle that hard.  It's possible to run a quick pass or an outside toss that could go for big yards though.

But I agree Daboll loves to call sneaks on 3rd and a very very long 1, and I particularly hate it.  Sometimes we'll run a cheap play to get 1-2 yards on a 2nd and 1.  I feel like those are the plays that we need to take more advantage of and go for chunk yards instead of rushing to get the 1st.

Ordinarily, I’d agree. But Allen is a freak. AFCE and some AFC teams are well aware of his ‘manlyness’ on 3rd/4th & 1. Virtually can’t be stopped. 

After Thursday’s Blood & Guts 4th & 1 conversion, EVERY team must expect it going forward. 

So ‘Yes’ to the OPs suggestion. A fake line plunge will have other options open.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes they could but if they don’t connect then everyone going to be screaming that the Bills should have just got the first down. 

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I find it weird that Brady can run that same QB sneak so much more effectively. There is never any doubt that he gets those. On the other hand, it’s really dicey when we run them. 

I think Brady goes lower than Josh. But still, I wouldn't say it is dicey for Allen when he runs them. He's only not converted on one I think from less than a yard? I think he has another stuff or two but they were from 1.5 -2 yards distance. Brady wants to pick up only the yardage needed for the first which is smart. Whereas it seems Josh sometimes wants to try to break the initial line of defenders for a big gain.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Right now everyone knows what Buffalo is doing on 3rd and 4th and 1.  

The 4th sneak by Allen was suppose to be a pitch to motor that Allen fumbled. Allen said as much in the post game. 

Edited by The Wiz