Bills vs Cowboys most watched Thanksgiving game in 27 Years

BigDingus

I think there's a morbid fascination about the Cowboys, wondering when Jerry Jones will open the trapdoor under Jason Garrett's feet.  Jones said yesterday that Garrett's job is safe, a kiss of death if there ever was one.

Also I would like to know how the ratings changed during the game.  I wonder if the word got out that the Bills were putting the hurt on the Boys, and a lot of Cowboys haters piled in to watch.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think there's a morbid fascination about the Cowboys, wondering when Jerry Jones will open the trapdoor under Jason Garrett's feet.  Jones said yesterday that Garrett's job is safe, a kiss of death if there ever was one.

Also I would like to know how the ratings changed during the game.  I wonder if the word got out that the Bills were putting the hurt on the Boys, and a lot of Cowboys haters piled in to watch.

I'd like to see that too. Though the average was really high to begin with, it'd be interesting to see.

It can't just be "a lot of people hate the Cowboys," because that would apply every year & every Thanksgiving game they play. They've also played plenty of big market teams & rivalry games, yet the Bills eclipsed those. And Dallas only being 6-5 isn't a huge draw on their end, as they've come into Thanksgiving games with better records plenty of times. 

I'm not sure how the NFL decides who gets the 4:30 game, but I'd assume the Cowboys get that spot most of the time too. Usually after Thanksgiving meal my family, friends & I all are tired & start dozing off, so normally I'd skip paying attention to this game. I think sports fans in general like to see an underdog, especially one they know hasn't been relevant in ages, and watch to see if they're for real. 

Even if we lose next week, as long as we keep it close, I think the general NFL fan will be convinced we're a legit team this year based on the Cowboys game alone since that's likely the only game of ours they've been able to watch this year. That performance will be ingrained in their mind, so going forward expect a lot of bandwagon Bills supporters (which I think is a great thing ?)

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

And most watched non-Super Bowl game on any network period the past 3 years.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/buffalo-bills-dallas-cowboys-thanksgiving-day-game-most-watched-27-years-cbs-sports-1202797442/

32.538 million viewers on average, with a peak of 35.453 million viewers. It was also the most watched TV program, sports or otherwise, since the Super Bowl in February. That's pretty incredible.

Makes me curious as to why THIS specific game had such huge interest. Maybe a lot of closet Bills fans decided to check in & see if we were legit? Is the bandwagon about to get going again? Time will tell!

...sounds like the "Jason Garrett Fan Club" tuned in.............

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

And most watched non-Super Bowl game on any network period the past 3 years.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/buffalo-bills-dallas-cowboys-thanksgiving-day-game-most-watched-27-years-cbs-sports-1202797442/

32.538 million viewers on average, with a peak of 35.453 million viewers. It was also the most watched TV program, sports or otherwise, since the Super Bowl in February. That's pretty incredible.

Makes me curious as to why THIS specific game had such huge interest. Maybe a lot of closet Bills fans decided to check in & see if we were legit? Is the bandwagon about to get going again? Time will tell!

Well if you were going to watch one game on T-Day would it be Bears 6 -5 @ Lions 3-7-1 ?  or  9-2 Saints @ 3-8 Falcons ?

Or 8-3 Bills @ 6-5 Cowgirls?

Besides it was Josh's first national TV game and a lot of football fans probably wanted to check the kid out...and he put on a show :)

This fanbase just grew a bunch of new fans :) 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

It spiked at over 35m between 7pm and 7 :30pm

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hope 'ol Leon Lett was watchin'.........payback time....:thumbsup:

Never mind fat old Leon....how about that cheerleader they invited into the booth?

Emmitt Smith cheering House Moneys miss.  Looked good on him that the Girls missed 2 FG's later :)

Karma ;)

Edited by JMF2006
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Teams need to be rotated on Thanksgiving, I'm so sick of watching Dallas and the Lions every Thanksgiving.

Tradition it needs to be followed.....like the Iron Bowl or the Apple Cup.

They have a 3rd game for rotation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Lets face it guys, many people tuned in the watch the Cowboys spank the Bills 45-0. Especially fans from the AFC still looking for a playoff birth.

Image result for pittsburgh steeler fans

Maybe more people just tuned in to see what our team is really about?  We do get stigmatized, this team and town.  Despite articles talking about how we "crushed" the cowboys, they were moving the ball on us all game and it was an entertaining game until late.

23 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Teams need to be rotated on Thanksgiving, I'm so sick of watching Dallas and the Lions every Thanksgiving.

Now that they have a regular Thursday night game , Dallas and Lions indoors on Thanksgiving  is fine, especially for visiting fans.

28 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I dont mind but games need to be rotated better 5 of the 6 teams played last year. Including 2 rematches. I think the night game should always be a AFC matchup as well with Lions and Cowboys both playing games

31 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Maybe more people just tuned in to see what our team is really about?  We do get stigmatized, this team and town.  Despite articles talking about how we "crushed" the cowboys, they were moving the ball on us all game and it was an entertaining game until late.

Entertaining for us. Everyone in that game knew the Bills were beating the crap out of the Cowboys. The Bills controlled the game and dictated what they wanted to do. They wanted it more. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Lets face it guys, many people tuned in the watch the Cowboys spank the Bills 45-0. Especially fans from the AFC still looking for a playoff birth.

Image result for pittsburgh steeler fans

You know, that's a pretty decent argument. 

Steelers fans probably number close to Cowboys fans across the country, and they likely were interested in the game & seeing the Bills lose. That very well could've been it.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills are probably going to get the Browns treatment next year in terms of primetime games. Glad they got some experience here.

Definitely. Plus we have away games in, Vegas, Denver, San Francisco and Arizona next year. Those will all be 4:00 games.