the gamesmanship within the gamesmanship

Golden*Wheels

From Bart Scott:

"The gamesmanship within the gamesmanship was early on, you talked about at half time, when McDermott took the time out and he showed a cover 0 blitz to see how they would respond to it. So now go back to  the fourth down against Zeke, they anticipated the all out blitz but he knew how the Dallas Cowboys were gonna respond to it. What do they do? They drop back in a zone and Zeke, even if he catches the ball, has three defenders right there. So once again it goes to situational football, it goes back to coaching, which tells you that Jason Garrett is not a great football coach."

I remember Romo making a point of the timeout before the half as well. I gotta admit I thought he was kind of overblowing it but...hey!

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Beat the Ravens and/or the Pats and the “ish” goes away. 

No, you know, that's B.S.

I'm with Micah Hyde.  I'm done apologizing for being 9-3. 

When you're 9-3 and you win on the road on a short week in Dallas, you've earned the right to be called a good team.  Not a great team, not a team on track to a championship, not one of the top 3 teams in the league, perhaps, but a Good Team.

Period.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, you know, that's B.S.

I'm with Micah Hyde.  I'm done apologizing for being 9-3. 

When you're 9-3 and you win on the road on a short week in Dallas, you've earned the right to be called a good team.  Not a great team, not a team on track to a championship, not one of the top 3 teams in the league, perhaps, but a Good Team.

Period.

Did they earn the right to be called a good team? Absolutely. However, they haven’t done enough to shut up the talking heads who’re trying to save face on their preseason narratives. Some of those tools will ride their bias until the wheels fall off.... Beating the Ravens or Pats accomplishes that. That’s not BS. Just the simple fact that the narrative won’t change easily because some of those guys still think Allen sucks, Buffalo is a piss pot, etc. Cats like that don’t shut up until they’re forced into it....

None of this bothers me at all. This team is basically one win away from securing a spot in the playoffs. We’ve now seen them rise to the occasion on a big stage... We know that once they’re in the dance they can do some damage... What some doof I’ve never heard of thinks about the team is irrelevant towards my enjoyment of the season. Yesterday, I had a heck of a time eating turkey and doing shots of tequila every time the D line got to Dak and the O found pay dirt. Today I woke up happily hungover. ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Did they earn the right to be called a good team? Absolutely. However, they haven’t done enough to shut up the talking heads who’re trying to save face on their preseason narratives. Some of those tools will ride their bias until the wheels fall off.... Beating the Ravens or Pats accomplishes that. That’s not BS. Just the simple fact that the narrative won’t change easily because some of those guys still think Allen sucks, Buffalo is a piss pot, etc. Cats like that don’t shut up until they’re forced into it....

TBH, I don't think even a win over the Ravens or Pats will accomplish changing the talking heads narrative. 

There will be some asterisk.  The Ravens were jetlagged by traveling to and from the west coast and the Pats OL had diarrhea of the cleats or something.

• Haha (+1) 5

One of the things that amazed me this morning when reading about the 4thdown play was how many commentators said they score there if Dak throws a completion to Zeke.   Poyer was going to light him up and Edmunds was there if Poyer needed help. No way he’s making the end zone.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I don't think even a win over the Ravens or Pats will accomplish changing the talking heads narrative. 

There will be some asterisk.  The Ravens were jetlagged by traveling to and from the west coast and the Pats OL had diarrhea of the cleats or something.

You’re probably correct. There will be a few contrarian opinions for sure. Only thing to stop those completely is a SB victory.... or five. Heck, there’s been a “Brady’s done” guy every year for the past decade. ?. Interestingly... the patsies currently seem to literally be shitting themselves right now. ?. Maybe that’s a sign. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think beating the Pats and/or Ravens will change the narrative for the more rational talking heads.  The ones for whom it doesn't, well they probably have some odd vendetta against the Bills or they think this is still the 2009 Bills team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think beating the Pats and/or Ravens will change the narrative for the more rational talking heads.  The ones for whom it doesn't, well they probably have some odd vendetta against the Bills or they think this is still the 2009 Bills team.

Agree..

We beat up a resurgent (3-game win streak) but bad Miami Team

We then beat up a team that did not have wins, but was ranked high in Defensive category

Then we beat up America's team with the #1 Offense 

That is Progress...Now they have a chance to take out 3 teams that have dominated the AFC for the past decade 

49 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Get ready, no matter what happens for the rest of the year, to not care about being predicted to finish 3rd in the division next year behind the resurgent Jets.  I'm already ready to not care about it.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agree..

We then beat up a team that did not have wins, but was ranked high in Defensive category

That is Progress...Now they have a chance to take out 3 teams that have dominated the AFC for the past decade 

Dallas also came in with a top ten yardage and points allowed defense. 

it’s been 2 straight weeks we’ve faced top ten defenses and were able to toss it on cruise control by the 9 minute mark in the 4th quarter. If they had kept the pedal down in either game it woulda been 30+ in each... a switch has been flipped on this team, man. Exciting times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

One of the things that amazed me this morning when reading about the 4thdown play was how many commentators said they score there if Dak throws a completion to Zeke.   Poyer was going to light him up and Edmunds was there if Poyer needed help. No way he’s making the end zone.

Funny, I agree with the commentators.    Edmunds was a step late if the ball was thrown where it should have been and I'd expect Elliott to overpower Poyer if he's squared up to the EZ.   That was a good play with poor execution on Dak's part--and a big bullet dodged, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

There's no downside to the Bills' win, but since this loss drops Dallas to 6-6, we still have beaten only one team (the Titans) that's currently over .500.

I do NOT care.  That stuff matters in college football where if the team you beat loses later on, you don't look as good.  What's up with that, anyway.  In the NFL, the Bills are 9-3 against professional players.  Don't try to tell me Miami hasn't figured out how to be competitive using the players they have left.  The Jets are showing up.  Any given Sunday, all that, but the Bills aren't losing to the teams they're supposed to beat. 

Tough.  Smart.  Good combination.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's funny cause it's true.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Agree..

Since the eagles game we’re 4-1 and every victory has been by at least two scores and they’ve controlled the game. They seem to be peaking at the right time. If they keep this up every game down the stretch is winnable. I doubt it’ll happen, but this team could steal the division if they win out and NE somehow loses to the Texans and Chiefs...

It’s a damn good time to be a Bills fan. ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

Funny, I agree with the commentators.    Edmunds was a step late if the ball was thrown where it should have been and I'd expect Elliott to overpower Poyer if he's squared up to the EZ.   That was a good play with poor execution on Dak's part--and a big bullet dodged, IMO...

After watching the replay, I respectfully disagree with you. Had Zeke caught the pass, I don't think he would have the opportunity to square up and lower his shoulder. His momentum was already taking him to the sideline. Just how I'm seeing it. Either way, it was an awesome W for the Bills. 

14 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

From Bart Scott:

"The gamesmanship within the gamesmanship was early on, you talked about at half time, when McDermott took the time out and he showed a cover 0 blitz to see how they would respond to it. So now go back to  the fourth down against Zeke, they anticipated the all out blitz but he knew how the Dallas Cowboys were gonna respond to it. What do they do? They drop back in a zone and Zeke, even if he catches the ball, has three defenders right there. So once again it goes to situational football, it goes back to coaching, which tells you that Jason Garrett is not a great football coach."

I remember Romo making a point of the timeout before the half as well. I gotta admit I thought he was kind of overblowing it but...hey!

What’s weird is that in his post game press conference, Garrett said that the Bills did in fact blitz on that play.

• Haha (+1) 1