Do the "look at me" actions of Shaq and Oliver bother you?

PUNT750

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Don't turn this into a generational thing. You're making it sound like trash talk was invented in the last 20 years. 

The same people had major issues with Jose Bautista’s bat flip in the playoffs a few years ago, despite the fact that Mickey Mantle used to do the exact. Same. Thing. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Don't turn this into a generational thing. You're making it sound like trash talk was invented in the last 20 years. 

I’ll turn it into a generational thing because it is a generational thing.  My generation played football like 50 years ago, not 20.  And that is how my generation was taught.  Don’t presume to tell me how my generation was taught.

I say again I recognize things change with time.  Bruce did this kind of stuff too and I wasn’t a fan of it then either.  I’d rather they not do it; I understand many others like it.  To each his or her own.  But you’d sing a different tune if it cost a game.  

See the Egg Bowl thing yesterday?  Ole Miss loses because a guy pretends he’s a dog taking a leak, pushed the PAT back to where the kicker misses?  Where the hell do kids get that such conduct makes sense?

Trash talk was more intense more than 20 years ago.  There was no PC.

Baseball from the 20’s to 60’s was ruthless.  I’ve watched documentaries with former players and man, these guys would go for the throats.

The Raiders I believe we’re the first mainstream trash talking,  cheap shot team in the 70’s.  Art Donovan, the old Baltimore Colts center said he had defensive lineman in a game throwing elephant s*** in his face mask before snapping the ball.  There was a circus at the stadium the night before and they didn’t get all the dung off the field.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Baseball from the 20’s to 60’s was ruthless.  I’ve watched documentaries with former players and man, these guys would go for the throats.

The Raiders I believe we’re the first mainstream trash talking,  cheap shot team in the 70’s.  Art Donovan, the old Baltimore Colts center said he had defensive lineman in a game throwing elephant s*** in his face mask before snapping the ball.  There was a circus at the stadium the night before and they didn’t get all the dung off the field.

Muhammed Ali- the mf'ing greatest.

Trash talk is just next level competition, it's like an added layer of the game. If you can't handle it you won't survive in anything higher level than HS sport... man you can't even play pickup in Venice Beach if you can't give and take a little. 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’ll turn it into a generational thing because it is a generational thing.  My generation played football like 50 years ago, not 20.  And that is how my generation was taught.  Don’t presume to tell me how my generation was taught.

I say again I recognize things change with time.  Bruce did this kind of stuff too and I wasn’t a fan of it then either.  I’d rather they not do it; I understand many others like it.  To each his or her own.  But you’d sing a different tune if it cost a game.  

See the Egg Bowl thing yesterday?  Ole Miss loses because a guy pretends he’s a dog taking a leak, pushed the PAT back to where the kicker misses?  Where the hell do kids get that such conduct makes sense?

The Bills didn’t do it on the field.

It was on the sidelines where it doesn’t effect the game.   

Muhammed Ali- the mf'ing greatest.

Trash talk is just next level competition, it's like an added layer of the game. If you can't handle it you won't survive in anything higher level than HS sport... man you can't even play pickup in Venice Beach if you can't give and take a little. 

I think trash talk is different than the celebrations referred to in the OP.  Talking with opponents in the heat of the game has gone on forever.

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They are football players, not robots. Celebrating a good play or beating your chest every now and then is not “look at me” behavior.

If running off by yourself after a sack and beating your chest is not “look at me”. Behavior, what is it?

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

We’ve accomplished nothing yet and are coming off 20 years where we were always on the other side of things. 

Which is exactly the reason for some celebration. They're not even really being disrespectful - at most they mocked the celebrations of other NFL players. So what? None of them are talking like Jalen Ramsey. They're dancing and talking a little bit of PG rated trash, which I enjoy much more than a bunch of process robots with no personality whatsoever.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it was Reggie Miller I read about that would actually research personal matters on opponents and was ruthless with it during games. 

CLASSIC! Love it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I shouldn't presume to tell you how your generation was taught? LMAO I don't care what you were taught. I'm saying getting upset about Lawson and Oliver having a few laughs on the sidelines is overly sensitive and frankly borderline ridiculous. It's happened before, it's happening now, and it will continue to happen in the future. The NFL doesn't owe your particular definition of personal conduct the benefit of the doubt and neither do I.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I shouldn't presume to tell you how your generation was taught? LMAO I don't care what you were taught. I'm saying getting upset about Lawson and Oliver having a few laughs on the sidelines is overly sensitive and frankly borderline ridiculous. It's happened before, it's happening now, and it will continue to happen in the future. The NFL doesn't owe your particular definition of personal conduct the benefit of the doubt and neither do I.

You want to say it’s not a generational thing but deny what a generation was taught?  That makes no sense.

I am not trying to change the league, I have said several times now I know this is how things are these days.  It’s just not my preference.  You like it, I don’t.  You don’t care about my opinion.  Wow, I’m hurt. We just feel differently about something.  Suck it up and deal with it.

Shaq came off as a me first person in his first 3 years - but this year I think he is buying in and is getting results I think he plays solid run D and takes advantages of his pass rush opportunities 

jordan Phillips personality since he got here saying buffalo is like a collage atmosphere and he loves it. Loves the city and the team 

I really hope we can keep them both I think if we keep them and the safeties as well as adding some talent this defense can be crazy good and you need emotion and energetic players on your team 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I loved it.  

I think some of you don’t understand Zeke’s “feed me” motion is basically saying “give me the ball because they won’t stop me”

Seeing him doing it multiple times in the first quarter, you don’t think that irritates our players?  

It’s on our own sideline with our own team.  Zeke is doing it right in front of the Bills players faces.  He’s doing it on the field.

It’s similar to Dikembe Mutombo blocking someone’s shot.  What did Jordan do when he dunked on him?  

He yelled  "who wants to sex Mutombo!?"

• Haha (+1) 3

Personally, I think the less an athlete trash talks the better, but they can do what they want. In turn they need to be ready to be ridiculed or mocked if they can't live up to their trash talk; they need to be able to take in what they dish out.

To add to this, I think as long as they keep winning they will be fine, but that the trash talking is indicative of who is most likely to lose their temper and do something regrettable if the team isn't doing well. Jarvis Landry is a good example of this, though Lawson, Phillips, and the others obviously pale in comparison to that jerk. As much as we say the refs hate Hughes, there were times he deserved the penalties he got.

Edited by Reader

4 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

It's great these 2 defensive lineman are making big  plays and helping the TEAM win.  Personally, I don't feel the look-at-me celebrations flatter either of them. 

I agree.  I want them to celebrate with their teammates.