Do the "look at me" actions of Shaq and Oliver bother you?

PUNT750

Shaq's got some cringeworthy stuff out there but it's usually him and jordan phillips that have me rolling my eyes.  I havent' really seen any celebration from Oliver that made me feel that way, though. 

Still, I wouldn't want to have the players worrying about their personalities in that way. Play hard, win, enjoy it. 

I do think there is a fine line between competitive celebration and being disrespectful/unprofessional. It's a fine line, it's worth taking notice.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

Everything is ‘look at me’ for this generation of players. I don’t connect with it because it’s exactly the opposite of what was valued when I played into college. It’s not wrong, just different.  Constant contact due to social media has changed a lot of old behaviors. I think if Sean had a problem with it, it would stop. 

You can always tell the older fans. They want a person to hide their personality during a football game. Again as I said earlier. If it isn’t hurting the team on the field what is the problem. The minute their celebrations start getting flagged will be the minute I start having a problem with them. 

until then Oliver, Shaq, Phillips, Trey et al ENJOY THE GAME 

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

It's great these 2 defensive lineman are making big  plays and helping the TEAM win.  Personally, I don't feel the look-at-me celebrations flatter either of them. 

I believe you’re the same guy that said Oliver doesn’t need to play anymore and Vince Taylor was going to be playing a lot.

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

please re-read what I wrote.  I didn’t say I have a problem with celebrating.  I said I don’t like mocking other teams or their fans. 

Dak and Tre are friends.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Everything is ‘look at me’ for this generation of players. I don’t connect with it because it’s exactly the opposite of what was valued when I played into college. It’s not wrong, just different.  Constant contact due to social media has changed a lot of old behaviors. I think if Sean had a problem with it, it would stop. 

Right there with you.  These players are of a generation that it’s cool to celebrate like that, and coaches accept it (within limits).  My generation, you wanted to rub a guy’s nose in it you acted like it was no big deal beating him.  Plus if you drew attention to yourself like these guys do, coaches then would have stuck you to the bench for showing off.

i don’t like it but accept it’s the way things are today.

• Like (+1) 2

Meh, I think they felt disrespected for long enough. Basically a lot of people have been calling them a fraud, saying they would get whooped in Dallas, they were tired of the disrespect so they were giving it back and making them eat crow.

That's kinda the way I took it anyway.

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You can always tell the older fans. They want a person to hide their personality during a football game. Again as I said earlier. If it isn’t hurting the team on the field what is the problem. The minute their celebrations start getting flagged will be the minute I start having a problem with them. 

until then Oliver, Shaq, Phillips, Trey et al ENJOY THE GAME 

I'm 54 and I totally love it and find it to be a breath of fresh air. Why not be a little chippy after the way the league and national media has disrespected us for years. It shows me that no one is going to push them around any longeer

Edited by Blackkat19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No because most players aren't like that and I think it contributes to the teams intensity!

I would guess that MCD doesn't love that kind of thing alot though, SHAQ hasnt been signed and there were some comments by mcdermott alluding to Oliver a while back, although nothing clear I can remember. 

Just now, fansince88 said:

For crying out loud!!!!!!!! We are 9-3

Haha

Wasn't it Marv Levy who told the team that when they scored a touchdown  (or a sack)...."Try and look like you have been there before"   I think that is good guidance.   All those gestures are not going to get you paid more.  Your play gets you paid, not your antics.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

just embarrassed a Cowboys OL that is talked about as one of the best in the league. In their house. After being told they are frauds. 

jesus people it is entertainment 

aaron Darnold dances and talks a ton of trash as well. (All players do)

Thats alot of trash talk for a .5 sack

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’ll be honest, yes.  I didn’t like waiving goodbye to the Cowboys fans.  I didn’t like Tre dance-mocking Dak. I didn’t like the comments about saying Dak shouldn’t get paid. 

We’ve accomplished nothing yet and are coming off 20 years where we were always on the other side of things. 

I understand celebrating and having fun, but you can do it without disrespecting the other team and their fans. 

I know we haven’t been here before, but act like it. 

I disagree... ***** the Cowboys. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Wasn't it Marv Levy who told the team that when they scored a touchdown  (or a sack)...."Try and look like you have been there before"   I think that is good guidance.   All those gestures are not going to get you paid more.  Your play gets you paid, not your antics.

they are not going to hurt them from being paid more either. 

• Like (+1) 1