Can Oliver catch Donald?

BisonMan

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....surprised......thought OBD satisfied the "TBD Naysayer Gang" and cut "Too Small".....

Yeah, I read here only a few weeks ago that he was a bust. TSW should add a TWS, "the wall of shame" for premature prognosticators. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep I am very satisfied with the return on that pick so far.   

Edmunds is the one of the group of 4 they've taken in round 1 who isn't trending toward his ceiling but that's mainly just because he's playing out of position, IMO.

Very interested to see how they choose to defend Jackson...........kind of a shame to have Edmunds getting lost in the trash in the middle...........suppose they'd go out of the box and let Stanford take the Ingram beating in the middle and let Milano and Edmunds mind the perimeter against Lamar?   I envision Lorax being targeted for dissection by Roman.

hmmm..  interesting ? But It’s no longer a 3 LB game and we’d lose Edmunds Eagle-esque wing span to just one side of the field. It’s  food for thought though.. Ravens just lost their Center to injury, so middle pressure can be assumed. Rangy wingmen could corral that bucking bronc.. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Aaron Donald through 12 games: 30 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 ff

Ed Oliver through 12 games: 28 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 ff

so far, so good

This is who I thought he would be in the NFL. So glad he’s making a difference in games and that it’s for us.  Thanks again, Detroit, for taking a TE right in front of us with Oliver sitting on the board. 

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

hmmm..  interesting ? But It’s no longer a 3 LB game and we’d lose Edmunds Eagle-esque wing span to just one side of the field. It’s  food for thought though.. Ravens just lost their Center to injury, so middle pressure can be assumed. Rangy wingmen could corral that bucking bronc.. 

When I suggested such an approach in the preseason, you...well, let's just say you didn't welcome the idea

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Edmunds could be a weakness against the run but I do think his size in the middle could be a weapon clogging up Lamar's favourite passing lanes over the middle. I could see a tipped pass or two. Intrigued to see what the plan is. 

That has to be the approach. Make him throw outside the numbers on a cold winter day. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

When I suggested such an approach in the preseason, you...well, let's just say you didn't welcome the idea

Oh, I’m still not a fan of putting Edmunds on a boundary. Just thinking it may be effective this week against the likely MVP. This is truly a unique offense. It rates unique consideration to stop it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Individual stat are not the most thing in the defense we play. 

Well said

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

What rookie mark does Donald hold?   It isn’t most sacks by a rookie?

It must be most sacks by a rookie DT.  Kearse holds most sacks by a rookie (at any position) with 14.5. 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Buck liked his hitting coach too much.........Joe Torre says thanks.?

Buck was quite the opposite of growth mindset.....old school cement head........and that's why he went out with a flabbergasting 115 loss season.

Passing on Metcalf for Ford was a mistake......but I suspect they will address that this offseason.........they have been great about addressing mistakes even if some obstinate Bills fans would rather that they just stood behind their decisions.

Yep.

I think they'll almost certainly go EDGE in FA and WR in round 1.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He already has more sacks as a rookie than Kawann Short, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett, Gerald McCoy and is a half sack behind the rookie total of Fletcher Cox. They are the next group of elite guys at the position behind Donald. 

For a rookie 3tech he is ahead of where a lot of the best in the business were at this stage. 

I know at lot of people think the Bills don’t have talent but they have a ton of talent on the defence. Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, White, Hyde, and Poyer are all great-elite players. Every team would want a young core like that. Plus everyone else on the defence is solid, there are no glaring holes and the depth is very good. Evening Shaq is showing something this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billspro said:

I know at lot of people think the Bills don’t have talent but they have a ton of talent on the defence. Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, White, Hyde, and Poyer are all great-elite players. Every team would want a young core like that. Plus everyone else on the defence is solid, there are no glaring holes and the depth is very good. Evening Shaq is showing something this year. 

If we had more Primetime games, everyone would know who those guys are.  

Josh Allen went from curiosity QB to stud QB with one nationally televised game. 

We also have a Top 10 OL, a stud young running back, and two potential 1,000 yard WR’s.  

....but we’ll just mind our business over here in the 1 pm time slot while everyone sleeps on us.  

That being said, it does seem like NFL media is starting to wake up.  

We still need to make smart decisions in who we re-sign/sign/extend on our defense and upgrade RB2, Outside WR opposite Brown and potentially TE2, but as Allen continues to elevate his game, this team is really starting to show a talent level that is quite legit. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Edmunds could be a weakness against the run but I do think his size in the middle could be a weapon clogging up Lamar's favourite passing lanes over the middle. I could see a tipped pass or two. Intrigued to see what the plan is. 

The image burned in my mind from Roman with the Niners is Clay Matthews biting on the RB in RPO and Kaepernick running around the right for massive gains..............especially after watching Clay Matthews bite on the fake and Jackson run around the corner again the other night.?

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep.

I think they'll almost certainly go EDGE in FA and WR in round 1.

Saw a 4-round mock recently that had them going edge, WR, CB, WR, which seems like a good get to me.

Re-sign Shaq (release Trent) and Get a young edge rusher who can learn behind Jerry (Jerry's kid so to speak :).

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Yeah, I read here only a few weeks ago that he was a bust. TSW should add a TWS, "the wall of shame" for premature prognosticators. 

...strange stuff......started with the "wrong Allen"......then Ed......and lest we forget how badly Milano was missed here when out with injury ....only to return and proposed to be a "potential liability".......think my favorite was last year when some of our "pundits" proposed 'Tre as "trade bait" to move up in the draft....hmmm......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Ravens have been forcing teams to keep 3 LB on the field with multiple TE sets.    That of course has made passing the ball a lot easier and their TE's are good too so they are generally mismatches for opposing LB's themselves.    Containing Lamar in the pocket hasn't been very effective either.          

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

Saw a 4-round mock recently that had them going edge, WR, CB, WR, which seems like a good get to me.

Re-sign Shaq (release Trent) and Get a young edge rusher who can learn behind Jerry (Jerry's kid so to speak :).

I don't mind drafting an EDGE guy, but I'd really like to take advantage of the premium market in FA (not necessarily in lieu of, but perhaps in addition to). Between Clowney, Fowler, Quinn, and Ngakoue, you can probably land the dude you need.

I would also look at trading a pick for Chandler Jones. A young, rebuilding team might be ready and willing to deal a 30 year old with a $21M cap hit.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, ctk232 said:

So it’s easy to say in retrospect at a 9-3 season that x draft pick maybe would’ve mattered more than y guy in two losses this year. Especially when we all were thinking 7-9 at best this year, more likely 6-10.

But frankly, in April, we needed OL - it was our biggest need entering the draft, and even with our haul in FA nothing was guaranteed. Beane made the call this year to do one thing - protect our potential franchise QB, knowing full well the choices of WR depth coming up this year. To be honest, Ford wasn’t my first OL choice, I much preferred Risner or Bradbury - but to play this game disregards so many other variables that went into that choice at that time.

It’s not unsurprising for a second round OL to struggle in his rookie year, whatsoever, in fact for OL it’s pretty common. The last two weeks, he hasn’t been perfect at all, but he’s stepped up for us when we really need him to, and against two of the best DE’s in the league.

I don’t regret his pick, and he has plenty of time to prove himself a right-side anchor or a bust, but I’ll take Von Miller’s unsolicited credit for face value, and be hopeful for what’s in store for him. I don’t regret “missing” on Metcalf for a single second, and I’m glad to see him tearing it up in Seattle, too.

First of all YOU thought the Bills were going to be bad.   Not "we all".

Don't put your fear of success on me.   I thought they took a 10 win team to camp in 2017 and after the trades when folks like you were in a panic predicting a tank I accurately predicted that they were going to Jauron Ball their way thru that season.   And I thought they could win 11 games this season and I wasn't alone in thinking that they could be a playoff team.    It looked like the most favorable schedule in the 40 years I've been following the team,  coming in with momentum after a strong finish by Allen last season, added 18 free agents.........if this was a 6 or 7 win team McD was in trouble.   

As for draft pick "y".....until the last two weeks Nsekhe was the primary RT.    Ford was a bit player who was being played at peril just to get him snaps.   In the most recent game though Ford was a difference maker.......in the regard that two of the Bills TD plays were actually forced into being out-of-pocket plays by whiffed blocks by Ford.?   He is quite good in the run game but fortunately Allen is very mobile/elusive and Ford is on his front side where he can keep an eye on Cody for the numerous plays per game that he gets destroyed in pass pro.    IMO he's been below replacement level all season.

Draft pick "x" Metcalf has been the real deal from day one.   He was a perfect match with Allen and he's been making big plays every step of the way.   Maybe over the long haul Ford will have the better NFL career.   I said that at the time.   But this year is a "window" year.   It always was and I EXPECTED Ford to struggle and take a few seasons to become a high quality G or RT and then when he very soon after hits FA it's going to be hard to justify paying those positions top dollar.    That was the beauty of what they did in FA.......pay veterans to stock the line because most young OL are major liabilities.  

And I am a believer in using early draft picks on "high dollar" positions.......QB/pass rush/LT/#1CB/#1WR.   You can always buy high quality guards and RT's in FA.   Not so much the high dollar positions.   When the high dollar positions hit UFA they are usually 30 somethings or injury suspects.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First of all YOU thought the Bills were going to be bad.   Not "we all".

Don't put your fear of success on me.   I thought they took a 10 win team to camp in 2017 and after the trades when folks like you were in a panic predicting a tank I accurately predicted that they were going to Jauron Ball their way thru that season.   And I thought they could win 11 games this season and I wasn't alone in thinking that they could be a playoff team.    It looked like the most favorable schedule in the 40 years I've been following the team,  coming in with momentum after a strong finish by Allen last season, added 18 free agents.........if this was a 6 or 7 win team McD was in trouble.   

As for draft pick "y".....until the last two weeks Nsekhe was the primary RT.    Ford was a bit player who was being played at peril just to get him snaps.   In the most recent game though Ford was a difference maker.......in the regard that two of the Bills TD plays were actually forced into being out-of-pocket plays by whiffed blocks by Ford.?   He is quite good in the run game but fortunately Allen is very mobile/elusive and Ford is on his front side where he can keep an eye on Cody for the numerous plays per game that he gets destroyed in pass pro.    IMO he's been below replacement level all season.

Draft pick "x" Metcalf has been the real deal from day one.   He was a perfect match with Allen and he's been making big plays every step of the way.   Maybe over the long haul Ford will have the better NFL career.   I said that at the time.   But this year is a "window" year.   It always was and I EXPECTED Ford to struggle and take a few seasons to become a high quality G or RT and then when he very soon after hits FA it's going to be hard to justify paying those positions top dollar.    That was the beauty of what they did in FA.......pay veterans to stock the line because most young OL are major liabilities.  

And I am a believer in using early draft picks on "high dollar" positions.......QB/pass rush/LT/#1CB/#1WR.   You can always buy high quality guards and RT's in FA.   Not so much the high dollar positions.   When the high dollar positions hit UFA they are usually 30 somethings or injury suspects.  

I think we picked the right player

I think Metcalf is going to be a fine NFL player

One thing I was concerned about at the time......I thought he was a "one route runner" and I was concerned about drug tests at the time of the draft......it looks like I was wrong there.....thats ok I have been wrong before.

He would do well on this team.......think Duke but with speed....however Oliver is looking like a complete game changer at DT now.....and he is just starting to figure out his pass rush technique after relying on freak quickness in college.

Worked out well for both players I think

• Like (+1) 3