Can Oliver catch Donald?

BisonMan

He already has more sacks as a rookie than Kawann Short, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett, Gerald McCoy and is a half sack behind the rookie total of Fletcher Cox. They are the next group of elite guys at the position behind Donald. 

For a rookie 3tech he is ahead of where a lot of the best in the business were at this stage. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a lotta' if's and but's Santa.

Oliver was a good pick.   People hating on that pick were just wrong.   

But Metcalf is having a great rookie season........5 TD's and 2 more PI's in the endzone on deep shots from Wilson..........imagine him in this 11 personnel and then perhaps you can grasp why people wanted him.

Cody Ford is doing a good job of being the first guy there to help Allen off the turf though.

as Buck Showalter once said, “I like our guys”.

16 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

as Buck Showalter once said, “I like our guys”.

Buck liked his hitting coach too much.........Joe Torre says thanks.?

Buck was quite the opposite of growth mindset.....old school cement head........and that's why he went out with a flabbergasting 115 loss season.

Passing on Metcalf for Ford was a mistake......but I suspect they will address that this offseason.........they have been great about addressing mistakes even if some obstinate Bills fans would rather that they just stood behind their decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He already has more sacks as a rookie than Kawann Short, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett, Gerald McCoy and is a half sack behind the rookie total of Fletcher Cox. They are the next group of elite guys at the position behind Donald. 

For a rookie 3tech he is ahead of where a lot of the best in the business were at this stage. 

Yep I am very satisfied with the return on that pick so far.   

Edmunds is the one of the group of 4 they've taken in round 1 who isn't trending toward his ceiling but that's mainly just because he's playing out of position, IMO.

Very interested to see how they choose to defend Jackson...........kind of a shame to have Edmunds getting lost in the trash in the middle...........suppose they'd go out of the box and let Stanford take the Ingram beating in the middle and let Milano and Edmunds mind the perimeter against Lamar?   I envision Lorax being targeted for dissection by Roman.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But Metcalf is having a great rookie season........5 TD's and 2 more PI's in the endzone on deep shots from Wilson..........imagine him in this 11 personnel and then perhaps you can grasp why people wanted him.

Cody Ford is doing a good job of being the first guy there to help Allen off the turf though.

Von Miller and Thurman Thomas seem to think otherwise (Ford). 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills added Brown, Beasley and Knox to the receiving unit so one can't argue that it wasn't significantly upgraded. Both Oliver and Ford are getting better and hopefully each will be long term starters for us. Your "what-if" evaluation against players who are doing well as rookies and contributing to a playoff contending team is a negative perspective on  positive performances.

It's acknowledged that Metcalf has a limited route tree. He is very successful running the long routes in Seattle with Wilson as his qb. Right now, Josh Allen hasn't been too proficient throwing the long ball. So having success in one system doesn't necessarily mean that the player would have the same success in another system with another qb. The bottom line is that I'm more than happy with not only the two drafted Bills you mentioned but also very happy with our draft in general.  

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Von Miller and Thurman Thomas seem to think otherwise (Ford). 

If Metcalf were here Thurman would be loving him even more.

Tasker said today that the group text between the former Bills was basically drunken incoherence last night so take what TT said with a grain.?

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not so sure this is Oliver not playing to Oliver showing progress. I feel since the Miami game this defense has been much more aggressive in its play calling and blitzing and in turn the DLine as a unit has been much better. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Metcalf were here Thurman would be loving him even more.

Tasker said today that the group text between the former Bills was basically drunken incoherence last night so take what TT said with a grain.?

That’s speculative if Thurman would be loving Metcalf more. 

Your comment regarding Ford picking up Allen off of the turf was a shot at his level of play. 

Both Von Miller and Thurman provided praise in the past week. 

Thurman’s comment was not pulled from a series of texts from former Bills. It was made this morning. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

That’s speculative if Thurman would be loving Metcalf more. 

Your comment regarding Ford picking up Allen off of the turf was a shot at his level of play. 

Both Von Miller and Thurman provided praise in the past week. 

Thurman’s comment was not pulled from a series of texts from former Bills. It was made this morning. 

Speculative?  Sure.  But I didn't bring up Metcalf.......Warcodered was mocking his level of play.

Unlike Ford there is nothing subjective about what Metcalf has done.  He's been heaped with deserved praise.   He's basically accounted for 7 TD and about 750 yards thru the air between catches and PI's drawn.

Think a 6'4" 230 guy who runs like a deer helps in close losses to NE and Cleveland?   I do.   They basically traded Zay Jones for his work on contested passes downfield against NE.

I don't think Cody Ford is going to be a bust but he's struggled mightily at RT this season.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Speculative?  Sure.  But I didn't bring up Metcalf.......Warcodered was mocking his level of play.

Unlike Ford there is nothing subjective about what Metcalf has done.  He's been heaped with deserved praise.   He's basically accounted for 7 TD and about 750 yards thru the air between catches and PI's drawn.

Think a 6'4" 230 guy who runs like a deer helps in close losses to NE and Cleveland?   I do.   They basically traded Zay Jones for his work on contested passes downfield against NE.

I don't think Cody Ford is going to be a bust but he's struggled mightily at RT this season.   

So it’s easy to say in retrospect at a 9-3 season that x draft pick maybe would’ve mattered more than y guy in two losses this year. Especially when we all were thinking 7-9 at best this year, more likely 6-10.

But frankly, in April, we needed OL - it was our biggest need entering the draft, and even with our haul in FA nothing was guaranteed. Beane made the call this year to do one thing - protect our potential franchise QB, knowing full well the choices of WR depth coming up this year. To be honest, Ford wasn’t my first OL choice, I much preferred Risner or Bradbury - but to play this game disregards so many other variables that went into that choice at that time.

It’s not unsurprising for a second round OL to struggle in his rookie year, whatsoever, in fact for OL it’s pretty common. The last two weeks, he hasn’t been perfect at all, but he’s stepped up for us when we really need him to, and against two of the best DE’s in the league.

I don’t regret his pick, and he has plenty of time to prove himself a right-side anchor or a bust, but I’ll take Von Miller’s unsolicited credit for face value, and be hopeful for what’s in store for him. I don’t regret “missing” on Metcalf for a single second, and I’m glad to see him tearing it up in Seattle, too.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Is three ifs and buts combined a lot?

Cody Ford is doing fine you can't fix everything all at once I'm perfectly ok with them focusing more on the O-line this year than WR in a weak WR draft. D.K. got taken at the end of the second everyone passed on him.

I know PFF isn't law but PFF gave Ford a 39.7 pass blocking grade for the Dallas game, he must not be holding his blocks long enough to be getting good grades via PFF

1 sack 3 hurries 4 pressures was his statline in the Dallas game by the way.

Edited by Laughing Coffin

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

buy is getting better with every game

And finding a quality offensive linemen is much harder then finding a quality wide receiver

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They valued protecting their young QB instead of drafting a guy that fell in the draft. That story has been told before (shiny new WR, bad OL) and it rarely ends well. Nesekhe went down, we were all concerned with an expected turnstile to open, and Ford responded with good play. The offense has played much better the last few games. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep I am very satisfied with the return on that pick so far.   

Edmunds is the one of the group of 4 they've taken in round 1 who isn't trending toward his ceiling but that's mainly just because he's playing out of position, IMO.

Very interested to see how they choose to defend Jackson...........kind of a shame to have Edmunds getting lost in the trash in the middle...........suppose they'd go out of the box and let Stanford take the Ingram beating in the middle and let Milano and Edmunds mind the perimeter against Lamar?   I envision Lorax being targeted for dissection by Roman.

I agree Edmunds could be a weakness against the run but I do think his size in the middle could be a weapon clogging up Lamar's favourite passing lanes over the middle. I could see a tipped pass or two. Intrigued to see what the plan is.