Bill Barnwell snipes at Allen, and gets shredded in response

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Given his worship of Brady you'd think he might see something in Allen. There was a play yesterday when Allen stood in the pocket with a ridiculous amount of time. He stood there forever motionless like a statue absolutely calm as he waited for something to develop then he uncorked a laser to I don't remember who exactly. 

It occurred to me that I had seen the same picture before not to so long ago. It was when Brady was still in his prime and had a good offensive line. 

Funny thing is that a poster on the Pats board had precisely the same reaction.

Saw the same thing and had a similar reaction.  Plus the hurrying to the line to keep the defense on its heels - 12 is his hero and his game is becoming similarly cerebral.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Given his worship of Brady you'd think he might see something in Allen. There was a play yesterday when Allen stood in the pocket with a ridiculous amount of time. He stood there forever motionless like a statue absolutely calm as he waited for something to develop then he uncorked a laser to I don't remember who exactly. 

It occurred to me that I had seen the same picture before not to so long ago. It was when Brady was still in his prime and had a good offensive line. 

Funny thing is that a poster on the Pats board had precisely the same reaction.

Agree.  That laser you speak of was completed to Beasley.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Barnwell blocked me a few years ago, when he claimed Tyrod Taylor was a good QB. Who gives a rat's ass what that idiot thinks. He knows nothing about football

Same thing happened to me.  I challenged his opinion on Tyrod and he blocked me.  

He just comes off as a self-important jerk who thinks only his opinion matter.  He’s in the same league as Cian The Coward Fahey

All I need to understand what a trash statistic QBR is is that Josh Allen has a higher QBR last year than this.

If a stat doesn’t show the huge improvement to his game then that stat isn’t even worth considering.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Barnwell said Tyrod was awesome.   

Not when he was in Buffalo from what I recall. Maybe after he left?

The QBR stat is an odd one that doesn't make sense this year. How is it that Allen, a QB that has so much value added by running, which QBR is supposed to account for in its rating, has a lower QBR ranking than he does traditional passer rating ranking? Allen is ranked 24th in QBR and 22nd in passer rating.  I mean honestly, how is that even possible?  

People in the punditry will generally never give up on whatever their original evaluation of a player was.

I've seen that a lot with Allen.  So many "experts" had him as the classic big-armed guy who certain scouts fell in love with but always failed in the NFL.  All of the "accuracy can't be taught" stuff that people just repeat without thinking about it.  And they say it so much that they convince themselves it's immutable fact. They don't allow themselves to consider another possibility.

I swear, Allen will be hoisting the Lombardi over his head, and a lot of those guys will still be calling him an inaccurate bust.

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bill Barnwell snipes at Allen

Man, are you guys sensitive! 

He's responding to this:  "Hey Bill do you care to comment on Josh Allen absolutely demolishing teams or nah?"

His response was very reasonable, and included "Josh played great today ..." 

He's right. Josh has had three very fine games, but teams will adjust and he'll have to adjust right back. Will he? The odds seem to be getting better, but it's still far too early to say for sure.

And the people who said that QBR is a questionable metric are very correct, but he's also 23rd in passer rating a better metric. It's not a bad snapshot of how he's done over the season. But trending way up the last three games. Have to love that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Man, are you guys sensitive! 

He's responding to this:  "Hey Bill do you care to comment on Josh Allen absolutely demolishing teams or nah?"

His response was very reasonable.

He pointed to one stat. Not sure I would call it much of anything in terms of making a point. He might as well as said nothing which I guess is all he has?

I'm honestly baffled though how Allen can have a worst QBR than he does passer rating. That literally makes no sense for a QB who does so many positive things with his legs. It's like who ever computes the QBR stat at ESPN forgot to plug in Allen's 8 rushing TD's or something.

Allen actually had a really good QBR last year for a rookie QB and figured it was due to his rushing last season. But why would it be lower this season when he has improved significantly as a passer?

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He pointed to one stat. Not sure I would call it much of anything in terms of making a point. He might as well as said nothing which I guess is all he has?

I'm honestly baffled though how Allen can have a worst QBR than he does passer rating. That literally makes no sense for a QB who does so many positive things with his legs. It's like who ever computes the QBR stat at ESPN forgot to plug in Allen's 8 rushing TD's or something.

Allen actually had a really good QBR last year for a rookie QB and figured it was due to his rushing last season. But why would it be lower this season when he has improved significantly as a passer?

Because QBR is garbage.

Any "statistical measure" that includes "clutch-weighted expected points added on penalties" is a joke.  What the hell does that even mean?  Clutch expected penalties?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

QBR is a dead and buried statistic. There are many better measures of QB play out there today, developed, coincidentally, by outlets not named ESPN. Hence the only people today continuing to cite QBR with a straight face are ESPN shills like Barnwell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Saw the same thing and had a similar reaction.  Plus the hurrying to the line to keep the defense on its heels - 12 is his hero and his game is becoming similarly cerebral.

If opposing coaches lose the ability to confuse Allen, they're absolutely screwed.

Because if he gets a bead on what you're doing, he's gonna put it on ya like lasagna.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Twitter cancelled my sign in....guess why?

Lack of use...nuff said

I have never had a Twitter account- “nuff said” ?

12 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm blocked, would love to know what he said

Can’t you see it if you are not logged in? I don’t have Twitter and can see.