So please tell me again, how McD is Dick Jauron

Reader

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

He never was, also... He’s evolving. 

The conservative play, on that late 3rd down, was to run the ball, let the clock roll and kick the FG to go up 19.  

He let Allen throw for the TD.  We didn’t convert, but he trusted Allen to go for the punctuation mark when all we needed was a FG to basically end the game. 

...DEAD ON.....Jauron had 40 years combined as a player and in the coaching ranks....McD has 20 years.....

The coach's game-plan  yesterday was anything but Jauron-esque, particularly on offense.  And on defense, they stopped an offense that had multiple top weapons.  I really don't care that Prescott threw for 355 on 49 attempts or that Dallas has struggled.  Buffalo's coaches had a solid plan.  

I expect McD to craft a defensive game-plan that limits opponents, but what they did on offense was more impressive and yes, unexpected.  I haven't seen Buffalo run a play like the Brown TD pass to Singletary that well in years.  

A coaching staff, particularly the HC, has the responsibility of putting the players into a position to succeed yesterday.  This staff more than met that standard yesterday on a big stage.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

...just a hunch, but can't forget McD has 1/2 the NFL experience as did Jauron....as SC Bills said, "he's evolving"....last three games as case in point......with both from defensive backgrounds, the generic inference stems from defense first with a conservative style of offense...but that's where it stops...Dickie was beholden to and fiercely loyal to vets......hell FredEx was riding the pine while Anthony "The (derailed) A-Train" was toting the rock...can;t remember the exact game, but Dickie called his number three times from the one and nada......look how many youngsters McD uses without hesitation...and it sure as hell is paying dividends....

45 minutes ago, seven&nine said:

I like where McDermott is as a coach now - but I will never understand punting in OT against the Colts two years ago. It somehow worked out but that was the ultimate Jauron move.

That moment was were I thought of Jauron but he is mainly different in that he makes more adjustments and offensively he has built a team around his philosophy vs Jauron who seemed to do the opposite.

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Sean gets conservative with just grinding out small leads because he's got a great defense and he's insanely afraid of getting a turnover.

Example:  last week Denver game up 3 possessions with 7 minutes left he just runs straight ahead into a 10 man front over and over.   Not necessarily bad, just boring football.

He can seem JauronEsque for that approach.   

Got him 3 more wins than last year already tho....im not complaining.

It’s his job to win football games. Not run up the score for fantasy geeks jollies.

Winning is never boring.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

He and Frazier are evolving. His defense was bend and don't break but now they are dialing up more pressure.  On offense, he is letting Daboll spread the field. Remember one of McD's first signings was an overpriced FB. McD now understands they need more points and that means being more aggressive. He has figured out you just can not win many games hoping to win 17-14. Need to score more.

It's simply bills fans being conditioned to be out coached, out played and losing football games. I lived through all the jauron years, the loss to the steelers 3rd stringers, the Chan Gailey years, the Marone and Rex years. All of it conditioned us to expect loss once the bills show any kind of conservatism or they are losing. Even a part of me knowing the bills are 9-3, still has this slight fear that they'll find a way to screw it up. That's one thing I love about McDermott though, he's willing to swallow his pride when need be and make changes if necessary 

Edited by Steptide

On 11/29/2019 at 12:55 PM, Steptide said:

It's simply bills fans being conditioned to be out coached, out played and losing football games. I lived through all the jauron years, the loss to the steelers 3rd stringers, the Chan Gailey years, the Marone and Rex years. All of it conditioned us to expect loss once the bills show any kind of conservatism or they are losing. Even a part of me knowing the bills are 9-3, still has this slight fear that they'll find a way to screw it up. That's one thing I love about McDermott though, he's willing to swallow his pride when need be and make changes if necessary 

Agreed. He's been surprisingly flexible and willing to make adjustments when things aren't working. It does seem like that should be something you could just expect as a standard from a coach but that hasn't been in the case always in the past, in Buffalo or any football coaches. They're generally pretty stubborn people but that's not always a strength, especially not for an organizational leader. Combine that with the ego involved with being a football coach, a job where you tell other people to do things that you could not do yourself, and telling them to do it better, then taking credit and being judged on how well the person-you-told did the thing they do. Like most organizational leaders, football coaches are all basically all dumbasses who are just good at taking credit for things they didn't do. Rex Ryan's accomplishments: My dad had a good job. I had a good job. Give me that job. But I digress.

Anyway in comparing them to each other, McDermott is less like Jauron to me and more of a mix of Marrone & Rex, but younger and healthier. I think it helps that McDermott is athletic himself so he seems to practice what he preaches... hearing about process and the attitude and attention to detail toward rote, repetitive activities ... Rex Ryan doing "trust the process" doesn't work because you're thinking, what process, liposuction? Sandal shopping? I'm not running a lap, you run a lap.